Dogomania

Strengthening Breeds

Edgar

I got to thinking the other day after looking at my shepherd Blitz and the problems he could inherit. I then thought of relatively healthy dogs such as Pitbulls. Wouldn't it be possible to add to the GSD genepool a healthy dog of a different breed just to introduce new blood into the gene pool, new toughness.

Of course the breeder would have to phase the non GSD breed out of the lines to re-attain conformation but in the end he might be left with a stronger, healthier line.

Any experienced breeders or geneticists think this type of breeding could be beneficial?

Unfortunately just adding new stronger blood from a stronger breed will not help the situation. this type of artificial selection is what has got dog breeds in trouble in the first place. In the natural world the strongest survive by a process of evolution and natural selection. This is where favourable traits are selected for to benefit the whole of the species group as a whole and not just as an individual entity. Many cowboy breeders don't understand genetics and breeding and mixing dogs is a very dangerous process. Perhaps it won't show now, but many generations down the line faults will show. I think its ludicrous when I hear all these new crossbreeding programmes that are going on with uneducated people toying with what should not be played with lightly.

In regards to adding a "stronger" bloodline into the GSD's, GSD's have some inherent difficulties genetically with hips, repiratory, etc etc, and just adding in another dog's blood into the mix will NOT sure this malady. Over breeding, dilution of original "conformation standards" and breeding away from purpose are all causes of these things, and a species line as long as GSD's will not be cured by introducing new blood.

The Malinois has SOME of the same problems, but has a much higher drive, and is probably closer to the original GSD purpose as anything. THe Dutch Shepherds are equally as imposing, but have fewer hip problems. THe only advice I can give on curing this problem, is for breeders byb or otherwise to STOP BREEDING animals that have these problems and start caring more about the breed than their pocketbooks.

Czech lines of GSD and maybe some others are still quite strong and healthy. They have been bred almost exclusively for work. A half decent Czech GSD will start at $1200 US before shipping but will likely be from a line with all the dogs Schutzhund titled and hips and other health checks done.