Dogomania

Saint Bernards

AllAmericanPUP

I'm looking into adopting a saint bernard in the future.
Wondering if somebody could just give me some advice on them?
The good and the bad.
I've read quite a few websites, and been to the saint bernard club of america website. Just looking for some info from people who actually own this breed...

Thanx!

Guest Anonymous

Oooh, Oooh! I have two Saints in my family. What in particular are you looking for information wise? I'm not an "expert" but I can certainly give you my advice from personal experiences! :D

I offer some tidbits from my personal experience:
(Remember, however, that though breeds tend to exhibit certain character traits, dogs are still all individuals -- my Saint, Peanut, shatters the sterotype most of the time!).

1. Yes, they shed. Usually, they shed A LOT twice a year -- when they prepare for their winter coat, and when they prepare for their summer coat. If you mind dog hair on your furniture, clothes, floor, etc, don't get a Saint.

2. Yes, they slobber and drool. Some slobber and drool more than others, but they ALL slobber and drool. In fact, Saints are so adept at slobbering and drooling, they can manage to slobber and drool on the ceiling! :)

3. They eat a ton. More so as puppies, and through early development. The cost adds up.

4. Vet bills cost more for a giant breed. Dosages dispensed by weight will certainly add up for a Saint.

5. Saints are loving, devoted, willing, and smart. They're working dogs. They're happy working. EVen if that means working for a treat. I've found them relatively easy to train.

6. However, the training must begin AT ONCE! A untrained, or partially trained, giant breed is no joy to be around. Especially when it wieghs more than you do, and is ten times more powerful. Not to mention a Saint that isn't quite housebroken leaves HUGE surprises for you. But a well behaved Saint is truly a magnificent joy to have.

7. Saints need to be exercised properly. Puppies need to be carefully exercised. One can do great damage to a Saint by not exercising it correctly.

8. Saints, are prone to a variety of ailments. With their large barrel like chest cavities, Saints can suffer from bloat. (Another reason to know beforehand how and when to properly feed and exercise). Saints also risk instances of elbow, hip, and joint problems. How a Saint is raised and cared for as a young pup/adolescent can greatly affect its future health, strength, and development. Larger dogs bring larger problems. Another Saint related issue -- droopy eyes. I forget the medical term for it -- a Saint's eyelids may turn inwards, causing the lashes to scratch the eye surface. Expensive surgery is necessary to fix this. It does not fix itself. And more.

I did a lot of research before getting my Saint. I weighed the pros and cons. I determined and budgeted costs. After all I read and heard, I decided I could handle it.

I've never regretted my decision.
I will always have Saints in my life. (I'll just ahave to move to a larger home so I can adopt a bunch more)
Saints are WONDERFUL companions!!!!!! Absolute sweethearts who think they're lap dogs... always leaning and resting on their family.
:D

If you think you are mentally, physically, and financially prepared to care for a Saint, go for it!!! You will [i]so[/i] fall in love with this breed. I did.

[img]http://img77.photobucket.com/albums/v235/mnixon/9b5c39fc.jpg[/img]

Guest Anonymous

Okay, I agree with almost everything Melanie said. Except for the food amounts. It all depends on the dog itself of course but my two don't eat any more than a lab or golden would. My dad's GSD eats the same amount as my Saints. My Saints eat 4 cups of food a day (split up into meals b/c of the possiblity of bloat). It really depends on how active your Saint is. Bentley (older of my two) is not all that active. Roxie is still a young one (6 months) so she has specific needs regarding food. Saints are prone to entropion (turning in of eyelids) that would require surgery. Bentley had to have the surgery to correct the problem. It was around $300 but he was also altered at the same time. They're also prone to hip displaysia. But if you are considering a rescue most of the Saints I've seen through Saint Rescue are past the puppy stage. Probably because of the old "I didn't know he would get so big" excuse. So if the dog had entropion it probably would have been detected. It's fairly easy to spot if you know what you're looking for. They're absolutely cuddly dogs (in my experience). They need to be with their people. I agree with Melanie that the need to train them is great. 140 pounds of uncontrollable Saint is a very scary thing. They do seem to be easy to train and eager to learn. But they do hit an age (teenage time) that they can become stubborn. It's just something you would want to be aware of so you would know what's going on. They don't generally mature until 2-3 years of age. So you could have 140 pound puppy on your hands. Expenses (medical) are greater for giant breed dogs because everything seems to be based on weight. Heartworm medicine, flea control, anitbiotics, etc. all cost more for my Saints than my Husky mix. But even with all with this I will never live without a Saint in my life. They add so much joy and love to my life, I can't imagine it without them. Hope I've been helpful and haven't rehashed too much that was already stated. Any other questions don't hesitate to ask. I'm more than willing to help if I can. I love Saints and love talking about them. To the point of driving my family and friends crazy! :lol: :lol:

Guest Anonymous

I have a 2 1/2 year old female Saint and I absolutely love her. I have been around many different breeds of dogs and Saints are by far my favorite. Just like the other responses - I will never be without one in my life now.

Everything is bigger and more expensive with a Saint, but very much worth it.

Our Daisy is amazing. She was very easy to house train, they are very smart and eager to please dogs. Very affectionate - which sometimes hurts at 140 pounds, but we love it.

The drooling does in fact end up on the ceiling we call them slugs in our house. Daisy does not drool constantly - but we had a friend with a male that drooled all the time. Daisy drools when she is overheated or playing outside and when she eats and drinks. We have slobber towels strategically around our house. Honestly she sheds almost all year but really bad twice with the changing seasons. But so does my Yellow Lab - she is no different than him. And I don't know if it is all Saints - but Daisy does not tolerate heat well, she loves her air conditioning.

Health-wise, it can be challenging. Keep in mind all meds and procedures are based on weight. Spay or neuter before they reach 100 lbs, if that is your intention. The hip dysplasia is heart breaking, but certianly liveable. Get the hips checked in the first year, this requires anesthesia with large dogs so don't wait too long. We got it done while she was knocked out being spayed. Our girl has severe dysplasia but showed NONE of the early signs and still doesn't have any symptoms. She may eventually need hip replacement, but that is a decision for later. Ear and skin problems are more common than they warn you about too. Daisy has just started an elimination diet to ease her food allergies.

Obviously I could go on and on about her and the breed, but it has all been said.

So - MOST IMPORTANTLY - find a vet early on that has a big-dog mentality - this is imperitive. And second - the best thing I ever did for my Saint was join a ListServ of Saint owners and breeders - I learned more than I ever thought possible about Saints.

Good Luck.