Dogomania

Puppy Mill in Texas Shut Down

[quote][b]Judge To Decide Fate Of More Than 300 Rescued Animals[/b]
[i]Animals Allegedly Mistreated At Puppy Mill

POSTED: 4:27 pm CDT June 2, 2004
UPDATED: 3:25 pm CDT June 4, 2004[/i]

DALLAS -- A Dallas judge next week will decide who gets custody of more than 300 animals seized Wednesday from an alleged puppy mill east of the Metroplex.

If the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals gets custody, the healthy animals will go up for adoption.

Animals rescued included 301 dogs, 17 cats, eight birds, and one horse. A total of 27 dogs and one horse died.

Rescuers took the dogs from the mill in Van Zandt County and transferred the animals to a special warehouse in Dallas.

Veterinarians were vaccinating and worming the dogs and addressing other immediate needs.

According to investigators with the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and Van Zandt County authorities, the animals had been forced to live in "deplorable" conditions at "Fuzzcrest Farms."

Farm owner Mary Smith kept nearly 50 canines of varying ages inside her home, investigators said, while the rest of the dogs were cooped up in cages inside a barn.

Greed fueled the mistreatment of the animals, according to SPCA representative Dave Garcia.

"Probably the reason this started is because it was a puppy mill and they were there to make a dollar. And when you weigh the welfare of an animal against a dollar, the animal's going to lose," he said

Smith argued with animal rescuers as they removed dogs from her property.

"These dogs are going to people," she said. "These dogs have already been sold."

The owner could face animal cruelty charges.

Copyright 2004 by nbc5i.com. All rights reserved.[/quote]

Makes me so mad that people are so dumb and will do anything for money. EVIL HUMANS!!!!! THeres so much to say about this but you all know and have the same opinion... or at least most of you do so Ill leave it at that!

I heard about this on the news the other day, it's horrible! It's not to far from where I live. There are a couple of huge flea markets in this part of Texas such as Canton Trade Days, Grand Prairie Flea Market, and smaller ones such as McKinney, Bowie, etc that sell dogs and mills are where they get their stock, that and some backyard breeders. Anyway Grand Prairie and Canton are gigantic and sell lots of pups. Tons of people buy from them, the stores at these markets that sell these pups are filthy and reek, makes me sick at my stomache to go inside one! People don't realize that these pups come from mills. Lot's of adds in major papers such as Dallas and Fort Worth are people selling dogs from these places but they advertise as being the breeder themselves, when you get out to the house they don't have the parents for you to see. This is why I don't trust newspaper adds. Maybe it's just my area...... I just don't trust the adds here in Texas. I have heard, seen, known of too many bad outcomes from where I live to risk it. They get them from local mills and bring them in from Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and MO. This has influenced my preference in dealing only with people whom have great references, are active in breed specific clubs, rescue, etc. I want someone whom is very dedicated. I guess I'm not a very trusting person. This part of the Canton Flea market is widely known for selling dogs, I think they call it "dog alley" or "puppy row"....something like that.
-----

What city do you live in Bentley? I live in Plano but I just say Dallas to most people from another state since Im really close to Dallas.

Its sad how many Texans there are that are in this stupid business! Especially out where it gets into country roads... I wonder what state has the highest puppy mill rate? Known puppy mills anyway, because afterall we dont know of them all right now.

...This reminds me so much of my "friend". She got a Peke-poo (oh how I hate these "new breeds") from a pet store. I lectured her about it but she denied her puppy from being from a puppy mill. :roll: She said they talked with the breeder and he seemed ok. First off, a breeder wouldnt be selling their dogs to a pet store or breeding these stupid "new breeds". I think she was lying that she talked to a breeder anyway, she ALWAYS lies to me! And to top it off that she helped a puppy mill gain money she hasnt had him fixed and hes over a year now! :evil: Plus theyre getting another dog, which could possibly be a female. If they have puppies I will never forgive her because I discussed having him fixed with her whole family.

Sry just my little rant about it and maybe Im wrong and she didnt get him from a mill but most likely I would say she did.

I'm glad they're shut down...and I hope those pupsters find decent loving homes out there. What a complete DISGRACE!!! the pictures are heartbreaking. I agree, put these aholes in cages and let them live that way. See what "cruelty to animals" is really about!

:evilbat: :evilbat: :evilbat: :evilbat: :evilbat: