Dogomania

soldiers set fire to kittens

bk_blue

[url]http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,9527410%255E421,00.html[/url]
Soldiers fined over kitten cruelty
By Lloyd Jones
May 11, 2004

SIX Australian soldiers have been fined $2000 each after pleading guilty to cruelly treating kittens, one of which was dragged behind a motorcycle and three others set alight.

The soldiers from Townsville's Lavarack Barracks appeared in the Townsville Magistrate's Court yesterday on one count each of cruelty.

Ben Charles David Lightbody, 21, Brett Michael Henry Neville, 26, Casey Mitchell Parker, 21, Geoffrey Martin Symonds, 20, Darryl Stephen Llewellin, 26, and Christopher James Murray, 19, were each fined but had no conviction recorded against them.

Lightbody and Neville also were disqualified from driving for six months.

Police said the incident occurred at the barracks on Easter Saturday involving a litter of four kittens from a stray cat.

This is just revolting. The maximum penalty (according to the RSPCA) for animal cruelty is $75,000- but how often does that get imposed? Several angry newspaper readers wrote into the paper today and they all brought up the link between animal abuse and later violence towards humans... at the very least these people should be thrown out of the army and forced to undergo some sort of psychological rehab, plus be prevented from ever owning an animal again. The RSPCA refused to take them on at their QLD shelter for their community work because it would upset the workers there. Good on them, I certainly wouldn't want let alone trust these people to take care of animals. :evil: Instances such as this make me really ashamed of my country. :evil: :evil:

Guest Anonymous

I vote we strip them naked and light up parts of their body... just so they know what it feels like and so they can't breed. :evil: