Dogomania

Is it fine to breed with the same stud frequently?

Atom

not with the same bitch. to keep the lines pure, and less chance of disease, there shoud be a good line of genetic diversity. I dont believe in line breeding, I will get flamed for that, but you cant beat genetics. The gene pool has to be great enough enough for diversity, to keep the line healthy. The smaller the gene pool, the more genetic problems you encounter.

Certainly genetics plays the biggest part in breeding any animal. Animals with close relatedness may have an allele on a gene that codes for a certain characteristic (lets say for example retinalatrophy which is a condition that causes partial sight in dogs). Lets say the dog and bitch both had the recessive allele coding for the condition, but in these dogs it lay dormant. In the offspring a certain percentage of those puppies (25%) will have the condition, so you can see how continuous matings will produce a continuous percentage of that litter that will most certainly have a particular condition.

Its is much better to have genetic diversity but to always ensure that you have healthy matings whilst maintaining the genetic diversity to ensure a healthy F1 offspring and subsequent offspring generations.

Atom, please clarify, do you mean breeding the same stud to the same bitch or to a different bitch altogether? Genetic screening and diverisity are still important of course. I've heard a great deal about 'popular sire syndrome' whereas a dog is sought after as a stud by many people. More important is to do indepth research into both the bitches and studs pedigrees to match both of their attributes and to minimze any negatives. Again, genetic screening is SO important, after all, a pedigree only tells one part of whole story, you want to know if ANY ancestors on either side have genetic conditions or tendancies, if both sides have the same one, any pups will be at much higher risk.
This truly illustrates working with a dedicated, responsible breeder, one who has taken the time to research the lines of both dogs.

In the wild, lions for instance, the same male will breed with many different females, guaranteeing a certain amount of diversity. I dont know. however, with purebred dogs, if the same thing holds true, since they were "genetically designed" in the first place. I would check with a reputable breeder. Maybe they can give you some good info.