Dogomania

Frontline and cancer?????

I should have put this under health but I thought more people would respond under everything. I post on a toy dog forum and read the following by another member today. I use Frontline and wanted to know if anyone else has heard this. Is it true?

"this isnt meant to worry any of you but I just felt it was right to pass the info on.. when I took ***** to my vet who is suppose to be one of the best on Long Island.. he said they do not use frontline because it caused cancer in mice...and when the company went to my vet with the product to try to get them to sell it they confronted the representatives about that specualtion and they didnt deny it. So its up to all of you but after hearing that Im going to stay away from it. maybe you can ask all of your vets about it just to be on the safe side. who knows if its true but Theres always so much contraversy about everything.. but I would feel guilty not mentioning it... let me know if anyone hears anything"

Guest Mutts4Me

:o

I think Sasha uses it (or we use it on Sasha)... and I used a dose of it on my kitten when he first came in. I don't understand why so many vets would sell it if it caused cancer, though?

I think there are so many variables to consider before labeling something as cancerous. Perhaps, it does cause cancer in mice. Unfortunately I have not studied the biological similarities between dogs and mice, so I cant really comment on that aspect. I have always used Frontline on my dogs, as have probably 25 or more of my friends.
Also, I wonder how someone could prove that it was Frontline that caused their dogs to develop cancer, and not something else (like the environment, diet, etc.) I will continue to use it. There are a lot of fleas in my neck of the woods, I envy you guys who dont have to worry about them :agrue:

the similarities between dogs and mice and not nearly a large as the differences. Mice metabolism is faster...growth rate is faster, reproductive capability is faster....also, the tests themselves dont always lend themselves to accuracy because of the size of the testee's....

Yes. mice have gotten cancer from a lot of things that were tested on them. Because the labs want to make the results show up asap...so the poor little mouse is injested, injected, sprayed, whatever, with a huge quantity of the testing material. In my opinon this skews the data, and the test is worthless. When aspartamine was first introduced (nutra-sweet) it was tested on rats. To the equivalent of 100 cans of diet coke a day. No human being should ever drink that much of anything a day, even water.
So yes, the rats got cancer. The rats died (probably from kidney failure!) and the naysayers were saying "it's bad for you..."

Had they waited, and fed these rats, even a six pack a day, (rat equivalent) any kind of notable results would take forever to appear. THAT is the problem with rat testing...by trying to force the bad/good news, the tests in themselves became skewed, and worthless.

I've been alive 47 years. I have been told/read/informed 6 different times that coffee is bad for you/good for you/bad for you/good for you...same with wine, and chocolate....

I have never heard of any bad affects with frontline. It is a checmical, like any flea and tick treatment, so the possibility is always there. But I dont think I would rely on rat testing to find out.

Seems like you guys are being way to simplistic about cancer.
You're overlooking the cumulative effects that different substances can have on the body. For example maybe Frontline alone doesn't cause cancer but just like aspartane alone may not "cause" cancer but in combination with the thousands of other chemicals, UV rays etc we are exposed to it could definately make things worse....

Also just because you're 46 and still drinking coffee doesn't prove anything what so ever. My grandma is 86 drinks coffee, smokes a pack a day, eats nice fatty meats and is healthy as an ox. Again it means nothing especially when looking over a bigger population (i.e. its a rare case). 46 is considered a young age in terms of cancer, not only that but sometimes cancer can be slow growing and hard to detect etc etc and can take years to diagnose.

Theres so many variables but I for one would take a study that suggests frontline causes cancer in mice as a BAD thing. Rant complete 8)

anything taken, ingested, used in excess is bad for you. That was my point. I can only drink things with aspartamine, because I am a diabetic. I will not be drinking a hundred cans of diet coke, or a gallon of sweet-n-low, every day ever. The Gulf War vets have many other issues besides aspartamine, and in my opinion, nutritionists are often quite unrealistic
since they want people to eat mostly only "natural"...which is impossible
for most people. I have had nutritionists for years, since myself and my son are both diabetic. They frown on canned vegetables, pre-prepared box meals, chinese food, beef, etc....I'm sorry, but I cant live on tofu....

Moderation is the key, for everything.

even too much exercise is bad for you.

"Moderation is the key, for everything"

True! But I do have reactions to artifical sweetner so I stay away from it.
I know it's not the only problem with Gulf War Vets but it has been "linked" to problems with them and many other people. The Doctor and nutritionist pretty much said to "not eat anything that hasn't been around for at least 100 years" or "if something wont grow on it, don't eat it"
:D they really want everything natural as you said. It is a healthy way to eat but pretty hard to do. :D I guess it's BARF for humans! :lol:

In order to acheive FDA approval, most foods/drugs are tested on multiple organisms through mulitple studies, this is far more difficult and expensive (this is why the U.S. has the highest drug prices in the world, U.S. companies do the development then need to recoup the millions spent on R+D and approval here) than people imagine. Take Olestra for example, here is a small portion what P+G went through to get it approved(I am not condoning P+G, Olestra is just really close to aspartame):

[quote]When a new food additive is being proposed for approval there are many factors that need to be evaluated. Olestra, as a fat replacement molecule, has the potential to replace a significant portion of the diet. This is in contrast with most food additives such as spices or flavors that typically would form a small portion of any diet. This potential for Olestra led to some unique considerations in the approval process. The first consideration in any food additive safety evaluation is whether the product is toxic when consumed. A related concern is whether Olestra is absorbed and if the absorption products produce any toxicity. Proctor & Gamble determined that Olestra is not absorbed in the intestine. But lack of absorption means that a greater and greater concentration of Olestra builds up in the intestine. This increasing portion was evaluated for its effect on the digestion and elimination process and any associated nutrient interactions while Olestra was present in the digestive tract.

What do we mean by nutrient interactions? Specifically, many vitamins are fat soluble and Olestra is a fat-like molecule that is not absorbed in the intestine. This aspect of nutrient interactions led to extensive studies with the fat-soluble vitamins and a variety of fat-soluble drugs and other lipophilic substances. Studies were also completed after heating Olestra under conditions similar to those expected with food and snack frying. The expected Olestra consumption levels were also studied. Over 100 animal studies and 25 clinical (Human) trials were completed in an effort to establish the safety of Olestra in response to the way that the FDA places this burden on the petitioner, Procter & Gamble.[/quote]

This is not a fool proof system however. Take the example of Thalidomide. This drug was marketed as a drug that would help prevent morning sickness. Unfortuantely for lots of babies, the drug was tested in the wrong species of monkey and mice or rats (can't remember which?) and in those two animals it was not a teratogen (harms the fetus). When people took the drug their children were born without limbs! Once scientists went back and checked the drug in rabbits and another type of monkey, they observed the same problem of babies without limbs seen in people.

People's fear of cancer from food baffles me! Many times people will sit and talk about how scared they are that aspartame is giving them cancer as they take a drag of a cigarette. I wonder how many people have noticed that the second leading cause of cancer is quickly becoming obesity?????? BTW if your eating produce that is non-organic I would be far more concerned about pesticides on/in your food or even your lawn (which filters down to your well water) than I would be about a little bit of aspartame! Now I am done ranting :drinking:

I guess when you watch a loved one die from cancer you tend to be paranoid about everything. Human nature to wonder why? Anyway, I don't worry about artifical sweetner causing cancer in me, it's caused abdominal pain and inflamation of my intestines. After unexplained medical problems and finally seeing a connection when I would drink diet sodas I learned to stay away. Maybe I'm allergic to it. Also new studies have linked it to contributing to obesity.

well, let me give you an example of the "obesity" issue.

For some reason, people seem to think that diet drinks will help you control your weight. Not true. Eating habits will control your wieght, not diet drinks. This is a misled people issue. I can have three double cheeseburgers, if I have diet coke instead of regular coke....less calories y'know....NOT....

I have the opposite problem. I go into fast food and order a 6 piece chicke mcnuggets, no fries, a diet drink...and people say "WHY bother with diet? there's enough fat in the mcnuggets to wash it all out"...Because I'm a DIABETIC you idiot...I cant intake sugar....and WHO ASKED YOU ANYWAY?????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: