Dogomania

BARF question - mixing meats?

Aroura

Is it ok to mix different types of meat? I remember hearing once that it wasn't, but then I thought about it and that doesn't make any sence. Montie and Cassie get chicken necks for dinner every night, I make meat balls for their morning meal using mince. Lily gets grinded chicken carcass, which includes some offal, as well as meat and bone, which they sell 10kg for $5 which is pretty much as cheap as you'll find dog food anywhere! Montie and Cassie love this, but I don't want to replace their chicken neck meal with it because they need the bones each day to keep their breath from smelling too bad. I found out this morning that if I mix their meat balls with the chicken pet mince that they love the meat balls too, which before they wouldn't eat unless they were starving! I don't want to cut out their meat ball meal, thats what I add eggs to, cod livern oil, kelp and all those other goodies. So if I mixed a portion of chicken mince into their meat balls would this be ok?

From reading up I've found it's healthier to mix meats. I just recently had a thread that may be helpful with this.

[url]http://dogden.proboards21.com/index.cgi?board=Health&action=display&num=1081853910[/url]

Here is a GREAT Raw Feeding forum
[url]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/[/url]

I do and haven't had any problems. I really can't see why it would be an issue.

At night I generally give something soft and mooshy to go with the vege puree such as chicken mince, beef mince, port mince or some sort of fish etc and I also give chicken wings or necks at the same time.

Thanks for the links KP! I'm actually a member of that yahoo group already, I posted the same question there, as well as an aussie barfing page. The general impression from everyone seems to be that its ok! :D

Malamum, what is port mince?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well I would definately go by what they say. I'm definately not an expert on the subject. I haven't even begun BARF ....YET. So far my knowledge is pretty limited. I haven't done toooo much reading up on it. Just a little and mostly what's been posted on my site and other forums from other barfers. People on my site posted that before and I've kept it for reference to pass around. I've read a little but not much yet. It is a great forum!

That one post was started just a few days ago. That was what led me to believe it was best to mix maybe. Her dog actually died from this about two days ago...a little scary but they think it was possibly cancer related as well which I just learned.

I will be switching to raw once I get settled in my own house but not until I research it and know a little more on it. Probabaly should have mentioned some of this earlier :oops: :oops: :oops: sorry :P

[quote name='Aroura']I'll check out your forum properly when I find some more time, from what I've glanced at it looks pretty good though! Right now I'm happy to say I've just finnished the first draft of my assignment! :angel:[/quote]

Whatevers clever :) It's always nice to have new members of course but It's not really like that... I don't want to like I'm being pushy to get people in my forum or anything. I just like to throw stuff out there if I think it'll be helpful. People are always welcome if they want [b]of course[/b] :D

Sometimes I just throw things out on boards because it sparks more discussion too which I like to see in certain topics.

I'm a debater :D (ha...I could make that into a bad joke right now but I wouldn't want it taken the wrong way :lol: ...nevermind. I'll shut up.)

Good luck with your assignment!