Dogomania

Left alone, how long?

imported_nea

What do you think is too long to leave a dog along? How many hours?

What I've gone on is the 1 hour per month or age but not longer than 8 hours thing that I've read somewhere. I've been getting blasted for leaveing Web, who turns 8 months old on March 11th, alone for 6/7 hours a day. According to them, leaving a dog for more than 6 hours is animal abuse and that I leave my dog for that long is cruel and is a sign that I shouldn't have a dog. :-? Web does occasionally have an accident in his pen, but thats if he hasn't done his "buisness" in the morning. When he has done it he has no problems waiting untill I come home to go to the bathroom. Webby doesn't seem a bit unhappy to me, in fact he seems like a perfectly happy, well adjusted dog. And personally I think Swedes in general are a bit closeminded about dog raising/training/stuff. For example trying new things like haltis, crates, things like that, and they seem to think dogs can't handle being alone at [i]all[/i] almost.

But still I'd like to make sure. Is leaving him Web, and dogs in general, for 6-7-8 hours a day really bad? Or is it allright? I know I can count on you guys to be honest and objective, and I trust your judgement. :)

Guest Anonymous

well i dont think you are being cruel. as most everyjob out there has an 8 hour shift. i do think anything longer you should have a dog sitter come in. but like my situation, i take the dogs out for a good run before they are crated they eat and potty so when they are in there they pretty much just sleep the whole time. when i get home we go out and run again and train, they dont resent thier crates, infact they go and lay in them on theri own all the time. I think you should have a crate for that though, as it seems that they are a lot calmer and tend to sleep, as opposed to Deja who was in a pen and would tear up the paper, jump or climb out and then destroy stuff in the garage/ house. so i think they are mentally calmer in a crate... just my opinion. I am curious what other think though

i think 6-7 hours is not a problem at all. even 8-9 hours is still okay in my opinion, if the owner makes an effort to give the dog quality time before and after (long walks, plenty of exercise, mental stimulation).

i'm self employed now and work from home, so my dog rarely has to stay home alone, but even if i am around he mostly sleeps during the hours i sit at my desk working. i doubt it would be different if i weren't there - he doesn't really need anyone to watch him sleep. :roll:

just think how many people in the world work 8+ hours a day and could not have a dog if that was a problem.

as for crate vs. pen vs. run of the house etc. - it depends on the individual dog and your personal situation. i know people whose dogs have the run of the house while they are at work, with a doggie door or without; i know people who crate, people who confine the dog to a laundry room or bathroom and people who keep their dogs in a kennel when nobody is home. whatever works for you and you feel comfortable with.

I agree with everybody--around 8 hours is fine for a dog, as long as they're getting enough exercise. I work at home too, but once in a while I have a day when I have to be out for 8-9 hours, and Hippo is fine. She has full run of the house, and never touched anything--not even her toys :lol: --when we're out. She just sleeps for the whole time...

I am gone ten hours a day, M-F...my dogs are loose in the house and are fine. On nice days, I come home at lunch and let them out and play with them. They get plenty of exercis in the morning and at night, lots of attention, and weekend fun stuff...Full time jobs usually require 8 hours, and then you have to figure in travel time....

Mine requires 9 hours, because they dont pay you for lunch and wont let you not take your lunch and leave earlier. I'm sure Webby will be fine.