Dogomania

Laurel's ears....

courtnek

I am taking her to the vet tomorrow, to get her nails cut (they are all black, I cant see the vein and WONT cut them) and have been cleaning her ears three times a week. The last time I cleaned them there was blood...yet they dont smell bad..and they are slightly red, but mostly look ok...

Did I somehow hurt her cleaning her ears (Frfeebe's dont need cleaning)???

I use a vet specified cleaning solution and cotton swabs, not q-tips...

poor Laurel....I'm afraid she is learning by my mistakes...

:(

Courtnek, could she possibly have mites? Stranger things have happened. Right now, one of my cats who never ever ever ever goes outside has earmites and no one else in the house, dogs or cats has them, or has shown any evidence of having them. Maybe the "blood" is actually mites and their goo? The vet should be able to know for sure. Good luck.

[quote]Courtnek, could she possibly have mites?[/quote]

with her? It could be anything....she was a hunting dog before being "retired" by the club (which means a rescue society took her)...

when I got her she was not in the best of shape...teeth were not cared for,
coat was lustless, nails starting to curl under...ears are infected I found out today. The rescue society didnt have her too long, and they took as good care of her as they could, having 30 more of them to tend to. She was afraid of everything.

She did really well at the vet...She didnt cringe (I asked specifically for the lady vet) and behaved very well. She got an excellent bill of health, which made me feel good. except her ears...and her nails got trimmed properly and are now nice and short.

all in all she's fine, which I am glad to know!!

:D