Dogomania

Dog eating rags, socks, general disobedience growing

Edgar

This morning I woke up to the sound of Blitz vomiting. I thought it was going to be fluid or grass or something else edible that upset his stomach. But to my surprise (and horror) it was a fair sized dish washing cloth! Then 15 minutes later he vomited again, this time a rag.

I have no idea where he got them from (but have suspicions) and I try my best to keep these things away from him but somehow he gets them (socks too). One time a sock even passed through with his stools. Its pretty scary. He could easily choke or clog up his stomach

Does anybody have suggestions on how to stop this (besides puppy proofing everything, which i'm going to do tonight)? The regular NO! and giving him something that he's supposed to chew on isn't working.

*edit* I should also add that his disobedience is growing day by day. A month ago "come here" "sit" "stay" etc were all commands he followed instantly. Now he either looks at me like he's dumb and doesn't listen at all or takes a very long time to do so.

Actually since I started basic obedience classes with him, things seem to have worsened!?

Blitz is a 6 month GSD

NEVER let him out of your sight, even for a second. If you can't activly watch him, either crate him or put him on a leash.

As far as the ignoring commands. Tell him ONCE. If he doesn't do it, correct him immediately. If you are not able to enforce a command, don't give a command. He needs to learn that slowness or total disobedience is NOT an option. Believe me, he WILL get worse before he get better. But you had better get a handle on him before he hits the "teenage stage".

Yeah the problem is that during the day I leave him with my parents. I've caught them saying one command i.e. multiple times. I'm going to have to have a talk with them on dog behaviour.

I've avoided using his crate till now... Its going to be rough.

BlackGSD - you currently have a Czech GSD yes? How did you find his behaviour as he grew up?

Majiesmom - I agree 100% its going to be a battle with this guy. He comes from working lines, I think he needs a job. He's still too young for the training I'd like him to do though and has to be thoroughly obedient first.

Exercise is definately the best. When he's out playing with other dogs he goes full steam. Doesn't stop running even if he's falling over hurting himself (part of the reason I don't like taking him out so much). I was told too much exercise could be bad for his hips, but I don't think young Blitz seems to care about that! Plus in Vancouver the whether is simple horrible ( I still take him out though ) I just wish there was a way to tire him out indoors.

You can do some mental work and nose work to help to tire him indoors, like looking for tidbits, or even a part of his meal, let him search for things in the house (i did this with my dog, put here in a room and hid something and she would look for it). Mental stimulation can realy tire a dog out

I play a game with Magic: I make her sit and stay in a room and in another room I hide her toy then I call her to come find it. I usually sit on the BB or do something else while she looks for it. She has an amazing nose and she is a determined little thing - for instance, I can hide it under the couch and when smells it there she will move the couch to get it. We have hardwood floors so it just slides across the room when she pushes it. She's pretty good at it!!! I hid her toy in a cupboard under the TV unit and when she caught the scent from inside she sat there and pawed at it and barked at me to come get it out. They can do this game for hours it's so much fun for them and all you have to do is hide it. It is fun for me too because it just blows me away how well their sense of smell is!