Dogomania

New trick

Duke_3

ya..I only gave him alittle bit so dont worry, and after a few hours later (2 or so) after supper we had a roast, i gave him some small peices for treats! :D AND I wokred with him tonight to! using simalar things that wont hurt him. ANd aslo he really likes milk. I give him milk its gone soo fast! why? Does he just liek it better than water? or does he still havehis iner puppy?

Kat may be able to correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe yogurt does not actually have that much lactose in it. The bacteria in yogurt (lactobacillus) ferments lactose as a means of energy for metabolism. So althought yogurt is considered a dairy product, the amount of lactose is small.

Dogs are usually allerigic to milk and shouldn't have it, but a small percentige are fine when given milk...the signs of owning a dog that is lactose intollerent is similar to that of some humans. When given milk, a lactose intollerent dog may have diareha, may vomit, and may have an upset stomach or gas. My dog is not lactose intolerent. He can also eat a large amount of chocolate. A chocolate cake was left on a shelf at someones house that we didn't think he could reach. When we got back, he had eaten the entire cake...but, the vet said he was perfectly fine. No lose of appetite, no vomiting, nothing, and it was a big cake... :lol:

Dogs are not allergic to dairy products. They simply cannot digest them. They lack the enzymes necessary for this process. Dogs that do not show any kind of sickness after eating large amounts of lactose are not digesting it. Usually the bacteria in their gut are fermenting it. However, not all bacteria can do this, so that is when you see the negative consequences.

I know what you mean Deeg duke once was locked in my sisers room accedentally, and found her easter chocolate bunny, ripped open the case and ate the whole bunny it was a solid chocoalte bunny to, it isnt as big as a cake, but he still ate it and everyone asaid he was fine to.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

someone correct me if I'm wrong, cuz this is just what I "heard"...

I [i]heard[/i] that the reason cats and dogs can't digest milk properlly is because they don't continue to drink it after weaning (sp?). Like humans drink milk from the day their born to the day they die (MOST humans, not including lactose intallernt people, and people like me who hate milk :wink: ) and so their body doesn't build up those enzymes because they have stopped drinking it after a period of time. Makes sense I guess... but don't people NEED milk because it has a good source of calcium? So you'd think if this was the reason, then cats and dogs would NEED that calcium as well, unless they get it from something else? True or false? (sorry to change the subject here Lex, just curious :wink: )

• 2 weeks later...