Dogomania

Sick Dog? Need Advice

schippsmom

:Dog_run:

My poor baby is not feeling well tonight, he vomited twice. He is just over one year old and has not been sick befor this, at least not that I know of. He ate about half his dinner which sometimes is normal and only had two dogwhiches before that. Dad gave him a few pieces of cooked venison, he has that all the time. He does eat raw meat so his stomach is pretty tough. But he is sitting on the couch, and just resting which he doesn't do too often. Anyway, this is a first for me and I'm just wondering if I sould look for other things or if he just doesn't feel good. Thanks,

Paula & Re-Run

Dogwhiches are store bought soft treats. They never bothered him before and he didn't have any raw meat or raw bones today. I asked my husband if Re-Run may have gotten into anything outside and he said no. He is on a leash or we are there with him outside so we would know. Thanks for bringing that up, I didn't think of that. We all had the same meat and we are fine. He so tiny (13 pounds) and I worry way too much about him.

Paula & Re-Run

I dont really know waht to say. Im sorry.
I agree with court Poisin may be a factor. Call your vet. See waht they say. And mabey um..turn the heat down... Give him cold water, and just let him est and sit by him and pet him and jsut let him know that your there and that you wont leave kinda thing.

I'm in the call the vet if any of his symptoms persist camp. For the time being make sure he has plenty of fresh cool water (you may need to draw his attention to it or try small ice cubes, most dogs enjoy an occaisional crunch on these) I woudn't feed anything for at least 10 hours and then start with plain cooked rice and a maybe a small amount of boiled chicken if he seems well. However, I reiterate, if symptoms persist see the vet.

Gastritis describes an inflammation or infection of the stomach. As in humans, viruses and bacteria can irritate the stomach and cause gastritis. Additionally, the ingestion of spoiled food, garbage, etc., can irritate the stomach lining.

A dog with gastritis will generally vomit, not eat, and be lethargic. The temperature is usually elevated above the normal 101.5 degrees. If a virus or bacteria is involved, the gastritis may eventually progress to the intestines and cause diarrhea. Infectious canine parvovirus is a classic example of a viral infection, which occasionally begins as gastritis.

Most instances of gastritis are not serious. However, if the vomiting becomes severe, or if signs persist for more than twenty-four hours, then veterinary attention should be sought.

A dog with a mild upset stomach can benefit from a gastric coating of soothing preparations such as Pepto-Bismol. Generally, it is best to withhold food, but not water. Withholding food will allow the stomach to rest. Bland diets such as chicken and rice can be fed once the stomach has settled down. Rather than allowing the animal to drink a lot at one time, water should be given often and in small amounts.

If vomiting persists, diarrhea develops, or if the body temperature is excessively high (greater than 103 degrees), veterinary attention should be sought. A veterinarian will observe the dog for dehydration resulting from lack of fluid intake, or through diarrhea and vomiting. Intravenous fluids can be used to replace lost fluids. Antibiotics are used to kill bacteria if necessary. Various medications are available to decrease vomiting.

Poor little guy had something wrong with his stomach but this morning he is back to his old self. Basically he is driving me crazy!! :D I was hoping to sleep in on my day off but he was very hungry this morning and had other plans for me. :grins: Thank you all for your help

Happy Thanksgiving, Paula & Re-Run