Dogomania

advise on dog cages ?

julie45

[b]Hi,I have been thinking about getting a dog cage for J/D, mainly for traveling in.But has I have never used one before I was wondering if any of you had.Also what kind is best to get.Also is there any thing that any one as against them and why.At the moment I am only thinking about it so any thing you have to say about them would be great, and then I HOPE I want make a mistake in what ever decison I make.
Thank you :D :D [/b]

depends on how you plan to travel.....there are lightweight metal cages that fold up when you reach your destination, for easier storage, kinda like baby playpens. There are heavier plastic ones that do not fold up, and are more enclosed, in case your dog tends to get carsick. It blocks the views to the outside. If you are driving, either one will do. For an airplane, the heavier plastic and metal ones are better.

Also, the cage should only be large enough to allow the dog to stand completely up, and turn around comfortably. Any bigger and he may soil it.

If he's still growing, you can guesstimate what size cage he will need when he is full grown, and then block it off with plywood or heavy cardboard so that it confines him to the above dimensions...

oh, and I prefer the term "crate" over cage.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

hope that helps.

:D

Guest Anonymous

depends what kind of travelling you do. if you are considering flying with your pet at any point, i'd recommend one of the airline-approved plastic crates in order to avoid having to buy a second one at a later time. most of them can be taken apart into two parts and the door for easy cleaning and storage.

Hmmm, just curious. How big is your dog? We got a crate for Zebra and it's ummm a bit on the large side :lol: . We were thinking about putting it in the car so we could put him in there when we pick him up tomarrow but there is NO WAY the crate would fit in the car. :roll: :lol: My advice is just to make sure the crate fits in your car. And I find that doggie seat belts work great for car rides, I don;t think I could live without mine.