Dogomania

Lots of food questions!

abker17

Okay here goes this is gonna be a long post, but thanks to the people who take the time to read it. :)
Cracker, my malamute mix has terrible allergies. She's allregic to flea bites and dust mites. :o Yeah, I know, it's crazy. :roll: :x If she even gets one flea bite, her whole body breaks out in sores. The dust mites cause her to cough. So she's on starroids(sp?) for the dust mite thing. Well, since my parents don't think it's important to protect Cracker from fleas (even though she's allergic) we didn't protect her this summer. And what do ya know, she gets bitten. THe damn fleas didn't even stay on her, but those couple bites that she got caused her to break out all over. :( My parents were REALLY lazy about getting her to the vet, but when they finally did the vet told her Cracker needs to be on a better food. (Well, DUH what I have I been talkin' to a wall for the last couple years. :roll: :-? ) So he recommened Kirkland brand dog food. :o U know, like the stuff Costco makes. Well, okay that's fine pretty much any food is better than the crap we've been feedin' um. (Alpo) But, now there's a big problem. Cracker is mainly on a wet food diet. (U know, typical story, she became spoiled and went from eating all dry to almost no dry, mostly wet.) Abs is the same way, but I mix wet with dry and she actualy will eat it. So, how do I change a dog that's been eatin' wet food for all 6 years of her life, to just plain dry. I've heard of like gravy for food and stuff, and adding water. I'd have to try the water thing, but I don't think it'll work. And I don't know how my parents are gonna feel about havin' to go to PETCO every week to buy dog gravy. Also, I got a free bag of Nutro from the SPCA fundraiser thing. Should I even switch them to that id they're not gonna be eatin' it regularly? I don't know anyone who feeds Nutro, and I already (stupidly) opened the bag. :-?
Thanks to anyone who can help.......... I hope this makes sense to everyone, if u want me to clarify anything just tell me....... :D

If you add a little bit of wet something (cottage cheese, gravy, even olive oil) to the food it makes it more palatable and it may take a day or two, but dogs wont let themselves starve no matter what. Dont be frightened if they dont eat for a day ot two. They'll come around when they're hungry enough with no damage done, trust me....

:)

yep, they won't let themselves starve, so if you want them to eat just dry food (with no toppings), you can only give them that. the food goes down for 10 min in the morning and 10 min at night. if they don't eat any in that time, bad luck! they have another chance at the next meal. and make sure they're not getting any treats so that they understand that dry food is the only thing they'll be getting...

Guest Anonymous

try low sodium chicken broth or v-8 vegetable juice to make the food more interesting.

my dog that i adopted as a stray from a shelter had severe flea allergies whenever he got bitten too, to an extent of having infected hotspots. the flea allergy went away completely after i switched him to a decent food (innova). whenever he gets bitten now (does happen on occasion even with flea protection, flea season all year round here) he doesn't even have a reaction anymore.