Dogomania

buster has bad dirreah.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

my dog is a 1 year old american pit bull
he has has diarrea problems his hole life. he has been to the vet manny times and he alwasy has the same thing. its a bactieia in is intestines. i'm not sure what the actually bacteria is call. he has been treated with antibiotics many times this usually only helps for a short while then its back.

i have tryed rice and yogert but it never helps. does anyone have any idea of how to beat this bacteria in his intestines?

he is on nutro lamb and rice for food. he doens't get table scraps.

i think his immune system is week and can't fight off the bad bacteriea.
any help would be great
thanks.

You could investigate a raw food diet. You could have him tested for food allergies are do it yourself at home - the first thing I would check is all sources of carbs - rice and oatmeal are often ok but my dogs are a little put off by any other carb source. You could switch from Nutro - which also gave all of my dogs loose stools or the runs, try Wellness, Solid Gold Mmillenia, Canidae, Go! or many other dog foods that I am sure others will recommend in this calibre of dog food. I also wouldn't give up on the yogurt, a small amount of yogurt 2-4x/week may help. Do you always feed yogurt or do you feed it only when the problem crops up?

Guest Anonymous

my vet just had me switch to nutro because buster just had an allergic reaction to something that made him break out in hives. his stools are more than runny they are like watery paste that comes out very fast and has some gas in there too.

ever since i got him when he was a pup he had the problem of this bacteria in his stool. i have a call in to the vet and they are going to call me back today.

someone recomended that i have them do a culture on his stool

i guess i'll just wait to see what the vet says. i should probalby take him off of food for a day and feed him rice instead.

thanks for the info on the food. i'll check in to them.

:D

First thing I would do is get Stainless Steel bowls. If you are using them already, steralize them after every meal. Have your water checked or put the baby on steralized water. Spray your entire yard with a bleach solution, and wash all of his bed clothes with either a color safe bleach or vinegar. Shampoo your carpets with a vinegar solution, and mop the floors with a bleach solution. It could very well be that he got a bug as a baby and it's still living in his environment so it keeps coming back.

:angel:

I would also try to boost your pup's immune system you can give
Vit. C, echiinacea and the herb astragulus are wonderful for building the immune system. Just feed per body weight. You can get supplements at a heath food store. The Astragulus is especially wonderful for immune building.
If the Yogurt is not working then you can give Lactobaillus supplements which will help increase the benefical bacteria in the gut.
When I rescued my Rottweiler she had the same problem diarrhea all the time...I would fast her put her on a bland diet then back to her normal kibble...since I switched her to the BARF diet she has had no more problems.
Good Luck! :wink:

My puppy had bad diarrhea and we found out it was Giardia - and I was reading about this and all the articles I read say it is kind of difficult to detect and also is thought to be something else. And as well it is very hard to get rid of since the little giardia cysts can hang out for a couple of weeks if you don't sanitize everything or if the dog keeps rolling around in the same park/yard or drinking from the same water (pond or stream - something like that). Your dog probably has been tested for this but maybe not!

Ugg . . . giardia. I have had that once - it's a somewhat common concern for canoeists generally related to canoeing in lakes frequented by beavers and such - it has an affectionate nickname of Beaver Fever amongst canoeists. :lol:
We genrally filter or boil or chemically treat our water on smaller still lakes but risk it on larger lakes, only got sick once and didn't get a bad case. We have never worried about the dogs water though as there is just no stopping them from drinking whenever they feel like it with all that water around. With people it just seems to run its course in 8-72 hours or so after symptoms start, never heard of a dog getting it though, poor little thing.

• 6 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Hello new member...I would like to politely draw your attention to our site rules which you may not have had time to read before you posted in an attempt to help...I would particularly draw your attention, if I may, to rule 11 which reads as follows:-

11) Do not use SPAM - messages that are posted here simply and solely to advertise or promote another community and/or website are not allowed

best intentions meant....K.