Dogomania

What things have your dog's destroyed??

Malamum

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']Really, Nancy? I have been considering leather furniture because I believed it would be soooo much easier to keep clean, but I was worried about punctures. I do *try* to keep my gang's nails ground back, but I'm not always as diligent as I should be :oops: . The furniture sales lady that I spoke to about the leather told me that it was nearly impervious to nail punctures, but I am sort of a cynic when it comes to sales pitches.

In the future, my home will have no carpet, no curtains (blinds and shutters only), and leather (or its cheaper, more easily replaceable equivalent) furniture.

[/quote]

I've found the leather to be wonderful with the dogs! If they come in with dirty feet and I somehow miss it, I can wipe the leather right off. If they drool or chew a chew toy on the sofa, any gunk wipes right off. I'm sold on the stuff and as long as I have dogs, I'll have leather furniture! :)

Toenails weren't a worry for me. I keep my kids nails VERY short. I dunno...maybe they're 1/4" long??? Since I grind the nails rather than cut, I also grind away any "sharp" edges. There's just no way that they could puncture the leather with their nails. There are also different "grades" of leather. If you have dogs, you want a thicker leather, not the fine stuff.

Funny thing when I started looking at leather stuff. I was about to buy a sofa and suddenly realized that neither of my kids had ever been on leather. I had a very nice salesman who agreed to let me go home and get a dog to bring into the showroom and "try" a sofa. Of course, I said that although I was sure she wouldn't damage anything, I would be financially responsible for any damage. I went and got Whitney and it was only when I walked back into the store I realized that I'd forgotten to tell the guy she was a Doberman! (I'm usually pretty careful about doing that.) anyway, within a minute she had him totally charmed. And yes, she did like the leather sofa! :D

When we're out of the house we frequently restrict that dogs to the kitchen and family room by using a baby gate. Last fall I had the carpet pulled up in the family room and a hardwood floor put down. While it isn't as easy to keep clean and the vinly in the kitchen, it sure looks nice and is much easier than the carpet was. (No matter what I did, the carpet always looked a bit dirty to me!) The family room is where the leather sofa went. We already had a leather recliner (one reason I had the courage to try a leather sofa...they'd never touched the recliner) We have a few other chairs in there that I'm hoping to replace with leather ones in the near future.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic