Dogomania

Puppy Biting

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Does anyone know how to control puppy biting? She like to bite and lunge for things to bite at. She really likes to bother my parents 9 year old retriver.

Any suggestions? or is it just normal for puppies to act that way?

Well of course puppies will be puppies! It's certainly not 'abnormal' for a pup to be mouthy and bratty.
Is she being bratty and full of herself or growling and acting aggressively?
What breed or mix is she? How old is she?
What does the 9 yr old dog do when the pup leaps at her and chomps on her?
What do you or other people do when the pup chomps on you?
Puppy needs to learn 'no bite' soon!

Shes 10 weeks, purebred Weimeraner.
She just bites no growling or barking. She doesn't jump up on people. The 9 year old dog just moves out of the way and looks at us for help. Last night he finally growled but thats not like him he's really calm.
We've tried some "no bite" techniques but she's just excited.
We took her to Puppy Social and they said she's just play aggressive.
She also has not barked yet.

The 9 yr old might not feel he is allowed to correct the puppy so he's looking to you. I would encourage him to correct her, it is very unlikely he would be too harsh. She will benefit from an older dog teaching her some rules. When I first brought Brittany home, she was 8 months old and full of herself. She whipped poor Jesse from one end to the other, finally I told him it was ok for him to fight back. That was when the real play began.
Many Weims are athletic and high energy, remember this: A tired dog is a good dog!
She might need more structured exercise than she is currently getting, throwing a ball in the yard, walking around the neighborhood on leash etc. While exercise is good, keep in mind not to overly stress her growing puppy body. Talk to her breeder about age appropriate exercise and conditioning.
Work on quiet cuddle time where you can gently correct her biting and mouthiness.
She will learn what is acceptable and what is not.

We are actually also trying to teach her to swim. My parents put a pool in for their dog and we want her to swim have fun and get tired.
We try to get the Golen to growl and we were happy he did last night.

Thanks for the advice and I will try to help my parents dog too. One good thing is that she is an amazing cuddler!! :D

I love Weimaraner's. I have wanted one for sooooo long. They are so hard to find here in Missouri. I would like to own a blue Weimaraner someday. :D
Do you have any pictures to show us? I would love to see some pictures.

[img]http://thumbs.webshots.com/sym/na3/9/83/55/74698355yjNKhO_th.jpg[/img]

He's always pawed at his water dish so we got a small pool and put only a few inches of water in it and yes we did get in and we had to pick him up and put him in. The water only covered his paws and once he started pawing, there was no getting him out. Bath time is now a wonderful experience also, he thinks it's an indoor pool.

The kids have put his favorite toy in the middle of the pool and he has to get in to get it, that may also help.

[quote name='stacer126']I have pics but I don't know how to post them. I went to the picture section and I tried the directions but it didn't work. Told me it couldn't find the site. I can e-mail you some if you like.[/quote]

Yeah, That would be neat. You can go ahead and e-mail them to me if you like. I can try and post them for you.

[size=6][color=blue][b]Here are the pictures of colby.
He is soooooo cute. :angel: [/b][/color][/size]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VQDLAo0X9dEHYwBUEMJdRRgOwVTUBfXo!J7kJqdCqtfs3kZ72xq6O*DEMWJrWc0ASUdSWHmol7R6SEBc0vGU*hP2eynH8YE6vqtZL1x9yqgoLIs8R5DjIq84*zyKxHr7/Captured%202003-6-8%2000013.jpg?dc=4675427781529952499[/img]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TACXAt0WWnTA1fEGFbv2xKuuCjzj8KJGZeLVCvICbb2Ryud0fgrqY0DeyeWMCfcUSA0*mblBh5BBMRkLBe*xTFEY7Z1stTnJ*0eekRB4HuXV4RI*3W6J4g/Puppy%20weigh%20in.jpg?dc=4675427781535520049[/img]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VwC!BukX9*QHYwBUEMJdRRgOwVTUBfXoB63OIkG!msieQ!7eGzHCBO3WO1B5ZCfApWNEHlZ3HEv2PED1o*eGGbcYE02bJJDpWK9zTua2RM**WowzgL!5fED1ViEDPMFK/Captured%202003-6-10%20000061.jpg?dc=4675427781523144180[/img]

no, I get the big red X....

puppy biting is normal, she may be teething. put a towel on the floor
and when she starts to bite, make her lay on it and giver her some ice cubes to chew on, with a verbal command like "ice" or something.

that way she'll associate the word with the ice, and them when she starts to nibble you can say Ice? and she'll go lay down for it.
it also helps with the teething pain....

:)