Dogomania

Chins or Paps, anyone?

mommacat

My family and I recently went to a dog show to search for the "right" breed of dog for us. We are now strongly leaning towards a Japanese Chin or a Papillon. I have been searching rescue places, but can't find any near us. We would really like to get a puppy, as our children (7and9) have never experienced a puppy, and my oldest would like to do obedience training through 4-H in the next year or two.
Does anyone have any insight for me about these dogs, and how they are in a home with 2 kids and a spoiled cat? We travel to visit family (by car) and also camp, so we need a dog that will be flexible.
Also, does anyone know of a breeder in Minnesota or Western Wisconsin (or Eastern North or South Dakota, or Northern Iowa)?
Thanks for any help!! :)

Guest Anonymous

Hello! I just wanted to tell ya that my Mother had 2 Japanese Chins. All I can say is......hilarious! They are natural born comedians. She had a male and a female and the mail was so funny and both were very sweet. VERY good around kids as Iwas living with her at the time with my 10 and 3 year old. She also has 4 cats that didn't mind (after a while) that the dogs were there, and vice versa. VERY nice dogs, a little stubborn on the potty training, but eventually caught on. Their names were Oda and Suka and I miss them dearly! Oda would always poke his head in my room every morning to see if I was there and if I was, he would come over to my bed and say hello. Very nice dogs!

Amy :lol:

Thanks, K, for all the info.
After I finally decided that was what we needed, my husband decided we needed a bit bigger dog, one that could run and play with the kids, and be better around our extended families dogs (they are all labs, setters, retrievers). So, we did some more searching, and ended up with a Japanese Spitz puppy!! She is the cutest thing ever, as soon as I can figure out how, I will post some pics.
I still think I will eventually get a Japanese Chin, they just seem SO COOL!
I think my husband just likes the bigger dogs, he really wants a Dane, Mastiff, or Newfoundland!!

Guest Anonymous

Congratulations on the new puppy! Danes and Mastifs are nice because there is no grooming and they are great with kids....also protective, and they're so big that most of the time they just want to lay around so their size isn't really even an issue! For me anyway, I guess I'm used to the giant breeds around my house!

Congrats! :BIG:

I recently met some Chins at a dog show -- they are such darlings! I agree that a bigger dog is best for now, though; when your kids are teens, a small dog might be a good choice. (You can have something to baby for when your babies are grown up!)

[quote]Wait, didn't you have the Yellow Lab-Goose? [/quote]

Yes, Rowie, we do. He is mainly a hunting dog, so doesn't spend much time with the family. I dont' really agree with that, but my husband and the guys that helped him train Goose for hunting say that if you make too much of a pet out of them, they don't hunt well.

[quote]You can have something to baby for when your babies are grown up!)[/quote]

That is exactly what I'm thinking, Sanvean!!!

I also wouldn't be against getting a real big dog, but we travel a lot and stay with relatives, and I'm not sure they'd be willing to house us and a giant dog, too!!
Anyway, we are very happy so far with this little pup, and I will post pictures on the picture thread as soon as I can. That's her in my avatar.