Dogomania

boxer information

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My boxer dog is very skinny, but she eats all of the time! She is very energetic and I can't seem to find the right food for her! Any suggestions?
Thanks!

When you mean skinny, do you mean her ribs are sticking out?
How old is she?
And have you gone to the vet and asked him about her weight?
The vet should be able to give you a special kind of diet to put her on if that is the case.
I would first check with your vet first, because you do not want to put on any extra weight that she might not need.
And young active dogs like boxers are going to be some what trim.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

[img]http://thumbs.webshots.com/sym/na3/9/83/55/74698355yjNKhO_th.jpg[/img]

Guest Anonymous

She is pretty skinny! We counted her ribs last night!!!! I have asked the vet and they say we are doing fine with her! She has had all of her checkups and is up to date on her shots. The vet said we need to make sure her calorie intake is equal to the calories she burns. I'm just not sure what I can give her that has more calories! She is 7 1/2 months old and our friends have one who is only 5 1/2 months old and weighs the same as ours! Maybe I need to be more patient! She seems very happy and healthy. Everytime I bring her to school (I'm a teacher) or take her to the park or beach, people always ask me if I feed my dog!!

[quote name='cajhawk']Forgot one thing angelbuddy, I am from Missouri!! Just moved out to Cali from there a year ago![/quote]

Really, what part of missouri were you from?
I just moved out here about 1 1/2 years ago from arizona.
Have you also checked for heartworm? It would not hurt to check.
I don't think that may be the problem. I just think you have a very young active dog. And if the vet says shes healthly weight wise, then you should not worry. You can also get advice from other vets if you don't feel comfortable with what the original vet said.
I would not worry so much, a lot of active pups at that age are slim. I would just give it some time. And for now you can try giveing her a can of dog food with her dry at night, bacon grease mixed in with dry food is good to put some weight on. But like i said you do not want to put any extra weight on that she does not need. It's very unhealth for dog to be over weight. Although it seems well to put weight on her now, it might not seem as well as she gets older and matures.

[img]http://thumbs.webshots.com/sym/na3/9/83/55/74698355yjNKhO_th.jpg[/img]

Some dogs just have that "too thin" look, especially when they're going through adolescence. (We have a husky mix in our rescue group that looks like a little coyote -- so cute! -- but she just looks positively emaciated, even though she's not.) If your vet thinks she's an appropriate weight, I wouldn't worry too much.

[url]http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1659&articleid=2612[/url]
b]quote by Sanvean
[/b]
[quote]Some dogs just have that "too thin" look, especially when they're going through adolescence. (We have a husky mix in our rescue group that looks like a little coyote -- so cute! -- but she just looks positively emaciated, even though she's not.) If your vet thinks she's an appropriate weight, I wouldn't worry too much. [/quote]

I agree with Sanvean, some people have dogs which are proper weight and think they are too skinny...depends on the breed of dog as well...and the age...all dogs go through that awful adolesant age, some breeds not as noticable as others...a friend of mine owns 2 Boxers...her female filled out at around 2 her other is still a pup (which is 12 months) and he looks positively anerexic! she is feeding him more frequently (about 3 meals a day) he will fill out...and yes, you can count all his ribs...my baby newfoundland at 13 months is also like this..harder to tell, but I can feel his ribs through all his fur...the breeder still shows him and has never said any thing to me about being under weight...acutally he has already gotten his Canadian Championship and is not being shown in the states...then it will be off to Bermuda!

I meant to say "now being shown in the states" not

[quote]acutally he has already gotten his Canadian Championship and is not being shown in the states...then it will be off to Bermuda![/quote]

[b]I really have to reread my posts before submitting!!!! [/b]

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

could just be metabolic - she may have a fast metabolism - but did the vet check for worms? Gross, I know, but check her stools and make sure there are no worms...if they do have worms the worms consume the food the dog should be getting....

good luck!!

:D

Lily was always very skinny when she was younger. Boxers are just so energetic and grow so fast they are almost impossible to keep up with their calories!!! What i did for Lily was make one of her meals each day lamb off cuts with lots of fat and raw chicken bones, chucked in an egg a few times a week etc and now she looks like the incredible hulk!!! She's just all muscle! She's the perfect weight and she's the shiniest I've ever seen a dog.
Good luck and let us know how she goes :wink: