Dogomania

My jack russell is so afraid of thunder, Please help him!@!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Milo my 7 year old Jack russell, will try to hide when there is thunder. I live in Mass. we have a lot in the summer months. What can I do, or what can I give that is safe and really works for Thunder storms? Please help, he is so afraid that he destroys things in his path, I'm more afraid he'll hurt himself. He is 7 yrs old, the best little friend I have, Thanks Robert

Use the dryer sheets to cut down on static electricity and make sure she has a place she can burrow into. Don't pamper her, or she'll get worse. I heard from another message board with someone with the similar problem that they cut down static and that the static may be what upsets the dog. Hope this helps. Good luck!

[img]http://thumbs.webshots.com/sym/na3/9/92/3/74699203BJBfeD_th.jpg[/img]

Robert,
Awww.... poor little buddy. :(
I have 2 Jackettes, Sassy and Maisy. They aren't afraid of thunder but they do get very nervous and barky. :o
I've had other people swear by natural calming medicines, like Bach Rescue Remedy and Ultra Calm (Doctors Foster &Smith). You can look up these in Dr. Foster & Smith catalog. [url]www.DrsFosterSmith.com[/url]
I'm glad to see another Jack owner in Dogo !! :wink:

Both the nosie of the thunder and the static of the lightning bother them -
as much as you want to, dont sympathize, or make a big deal out of it
they responde to that as if you have praised their behavior, and then it becomes learned for attention.

Bachs herbal calming remedies are good, you can also try putting her in her bed with a stern "lay down" command, and give her something to play with to distract her. Let her lay by you, and pet her, but dont tell her "its ok" and stuff like that. Just act like everything is normal, and she may get over it. Alot of how they react is in sync with how we react - are you afraid of storms???

If it's completely out of control, the vet may be able to prescribe something, but I am all for Bachs.

:D

BK is also afraid of thunderstorms I think- but he doesn't hide from them, noooo he stands out in the middle of the backyard and barks until the thunder goes away. He also does this with blimps, fireworks (though they're understandable) hot air balloons, and one unlucky possum he trapped up a tree for an entire night. He's not really fearful in his aggression, more cocky than anything else. :roll: [color=blue]Nothing[/color] can entice him to settle down. So when the threatening object/sound leaves he's happy because he's got rid of it, in his eyes.

My Flat-Coated Retriever, Lady, was afraid of thunder, but has somehow now gotten over it. My Long-Hair Chihuahua, Tobi, gets defensive at it and starts barking. Our other Long-Hair Chihuahua, Buffy, is not intimidated by anything, she doesn't care if it's pouring and thundering outside, it doesn't phase her. Good luck with that.

Another method is similar to swaddling a baby. I know some folks that have skiddish and hyper dogs that have used a small childrens t-shirt, that fits snuggly. If she is crate trained, put the t-shirt on her and then put her in the crate. The feeling of being wrapped in something makes them feel better for some reason and the crate should be her safe place. As the others said dont baby her, but giving her things that help her feel more secure and then letting her work it out on her own are good ideas.

I also have two jacks and swear by Rescue Remedy.

• 4 years later...