Dogomania

Bullmastiff anyone??

IYPChrissie

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='IYPChrissie']Thanks guys, you are so awesome!! I hope she sniffs me out, maybe my bullmastiff vibes will find her :wink:[/quote]

[color=darkred]Hi there and Welcome :D

Wow its nice to talk with another Bullmastiff owner.
Would love to see photos of Dakota :D lol Im excited!! :bigok:

I adore the breed and have one myself name Charlie.
I had him from the Tartuffe Show Kennel in Norfolk (England), but now moved to Scotland. He was 9 weeks old when I got him..hes 4 years old now.
Charlie plays with my other two dogs, but more recently[size=6] to everyone[/size] hes been playing with Penny lol.[/color]
[color=violet]Charlie the day we had him!![/color]
[img]http://community.webshots.com/sym/image4/0/59/6/53905906BItgfK_ph.jpg[/img]

[color=indigo]Charlie 3 months!![/color][img]http://community.webshots.com/sym/image4/0/59/29/53905929bdLhRs_ph.jpg[/img]

[color=indigo]More recent one of him!![/color][img]http://community.webshots.com/sym/image4/0/60/4/53906004RQAYCF_ph.jpg[/img]

:( I can't see the pics..

Nice to meet you! I have to get my pictures uploaded, I keep forgetting. I promise to have them on here by tomorrow.

We just recently had allergy tests done and she has quite a few. She is a good girl and a lover.. She is afraid of everything though poor baby, she gets so nervous. She will be 3 in July.

I am so excited to talk to someone that owns one too, seems it is rare :roll:

[color=darkred]Hi IYPChrissie.

Aww poor baby, what sort of allergies does Dakota have ?
Did you have her from a rescue or breeder ?

Charlie as an allergy to pollen. I have to keep him off grass otherwise the skin around his belly turns black, developing sores, he also loses some hair....which takes a while to grow back. I have been using vaseline and it seems to do the job. I rub loads in, around the area everyday. It as started to dry up a little now but the black will take weeks or even months to dissapear and be the normal pink color again, it doesn't seem to bother him but it does me and its not very nice to look at!!

Talk to you soon :D

P.S I am sorry you can't see the photo's. You can try the link below..there are a few of Charlie.[/color]

Hi Shannon,

I did see the photos on your link, Charlie is such a handsome boy!! I kinda wish we had gotten a male but I still love my baby :lol:

We did get her from a breeder, her dad was a full breed, beautiful red dog. Ya know when we bought her, the Mom looked sick but we didn't know any better at the time. And it didn't matter, we fell in love with her out of the bunch right away.

We had switched her food a few times, she had sores...so we brought her in and they gave her antibiotics and it would go away. But then it started with her stinking :o Really Really Bad!! So after months of back in forth with the vet we had the allergy tests done.

She is allergic to: wheat, yeast, beef, rice, lamb, catfish, peas, rabbit, black ants, grass, mold, and a few more that I can't even remember... :roll:

She doing sooo much better now that we know what to avoid in her diet. We have her on Purina Hypo allergenic right now.

Sorry for the long winded post :roll: I haven't met many mastiffs owners.

[color=darkred]Hi there IYPChrissie.

No need to opologise about your long post....the longer the better :wink:
Yes he's my baby :lol: I would love to have a female.....although as much has I like the males they can become very dominant. Charlie is neutered but he as still got it in him :roll: :lol:

I think the Boxer next door is in season, he is always up the fence.
Its a good job my other dogs are done too. (they are crossbreeds) Border Collie mix and Westie mix. His playmates :D

I know of many breeders around the world. Do you know the kennel name you had Dakota from ?
Charlie's is TARTUFFE sire is a brindle (Tartuffe Jimdel Anzac) dam is fawn (Mascona Calypso of Tartuffe) he as a few champions in his pedigree!
It can be found here [url]http://www.ask.co.uk/metasearch.asp?aj_product=IndexSearch&MetaEngine=Teoma&EngineOrdinal=2&ItemOrdinal=5&m=10&AdServerCode=&MetaURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebullmastiff%2Dleague%2Eco%2Euk%2Fsearch%2Ehtml__score_0.77__&MetaTopic=Bullmastiff+Database+Search+Page&ask=bullmastiff%2Bpedigree%2Bdatabase&LogId=E3A596F4CBF2E94CB427E352BC30C45D&origin=0&qsource=4&qcategory=TECH&aj_is=no&rf=&x=false&uk=false[/url]
There were five of them in the litter (3 girls, 2 boys) I could have taken them all....sooo adorable :D We were chosen, obviously Charlie wanted us to be his family...we were the only ones he came to, there was a couple interested in the girl...whenever they appeared Charlie dissapeared until they went, vice versa with there girl who did the same.
Its funny how puppies know who to pick for there family:lol:

I know the breed have a lot of health problems, we also had to switch his food.....we tried almost everything because of his allergy to wheat and dairy products, eventually we found the right one but its from a supermarket (Hero Complete) .....obviously its good for him he hasn't had any skin trouble since and he loves it, his coat is very shiny and healthy....thats all that matters to me.

Did Dakota have acne (teenage spots) when she was a pup ? Charlie had it terrible, they were like blisters, mostly under his chin and bled a lot....we tried everything the vet could give us but to no avail...we washed his face twice a day with antiseptic wash...so the blisters could open and dry out....eventually it did clear up, his face is so much better now[/color] :D

[color=red]I love talking to you.
Speak soon.[/color]

Hello again :hand:

I have to find her papers, to be honest. We had gone to Merryfield Kennels first (I think was the name) but we didn't go with them. We instead ended up with a private breeder, and we still have the paperwork from the parents etc. Now I have to go figure out where I put them :roll:

Yes, Dakota did have the acne too and exactly as you described. She has an overbite, it is so cute! I have to take some recent pictures of her. Her coat is just now getting back to normal after all the problems we went through, thank goodness.

She isn't dominant, actually she is a big scaredy cat, lol Poor girl, everything scares her and she won't even move. She gets nervous if there is something new or that she is unused too. Her crate is the best thing we could ever have done, we leave it open and when she feels unsure of something, we find her in it happily. Its a huge metal one. Also unfortanutely, we have to keep her in it or the kitchen when we leave, she will CHEW anything and I do mean anything, no matter how big or small :o

I am really going to try and get some pics up here in the next day or so, I am so bad :(

It has been great talking to you and comparing doggies!! :lol:

[quote name='IYPChrissie']Hello again :hand:

I have to find her papers, to be honest. We had gone to Merryfield Kennels first (I think was the name) but we didn't go with them. We instead ended up with a private breeder, and we still have the paperwork from the parents etc. Now I have to go figure out where I put them :roll:

Yes, Dakota did have the acne too and exactly as you described. She has an overbite, it is so cute! I have to take some recent pictures of her. Her coat is just now getting back to normal after all the problems we went through, thank goodness.

She isn't dominant, actually she is a big scaredy cat, lol Poor girl, everything scares her and she won't even move. She gets nervous if there is something new or that she is unused too. Her crate is the best thing we could ever have done, we leave it open and when she feels unsure of something, we find her in it happily. Its a huge metal one. Also unfortanutely, we have to keep her in it or the kitchen when we leave, she will CHEW anything and I do mean anything, no matter how big or small :o

I am really going to try and get some pics up here in the next day or so, I am so bad :(

It has been great talking to you and comparing doggies!! :lol:[/quote]

[color=darkred]Hi again.

Yes please hurry with those pics :D I want to see your baby!!

Charlie's bottom jaw sticks out a little but you can't really see it unless you look at his teeth :lol: he looks so cute too.

How long as Dakota been scared....was she like this from a pup ?
Charlie was out in the garden when he got frightened by the neighbours shed roof.....we had gales the one day, the roof came off and blew over the fence... poor boy was terrified so much we had a job getting him outside. We had to encourage him with treats and play with him, he is still weary of that day. Although most people wouldn't agree but Bullmastiffs are a sensitive breed.

Now when we have anything new Charlie is the first to investigate, its a shame Dakota is nervous...I do hope she grows out of it some day!

Charlie as a crate also and leaving the crate door open while we are out would not be wise as he's also a chewer :roll: he as chewed the phone wires that ran along the wall in our hall....how he did it...I have no idea but he did. The knobs off the cooker twice, one afternoon when we were out we came back to find he had turned the gas on while chewing away.
He was very lucky. The washing machine knobs were also in bits, we now have a new one with push in knobs this time...the other was oldish and needed to be replaced. He chewed a big hole in his large bed that he hadn't even had a few months...he was in his crate at the time.
I think he as grown out of his habit now though....well hes left it alone for once. He would rather chew on Penny now :lol: vice versa.
I am looking at Penny in the garden as we speak, its the first time in my life I have actually seen her lying down behaving herself :roll: Charlie must have tired her out[/color] :D

[color=red]Write Soon
[/color] :D

Hi Shannon and Chrissie,
I've been reading your posts and it's amazing that the bull mastiffs are quite the same with the allergies. :o
I too have a friend that has a bull mastiff named Bruce. :oops: (after a football player on the Buffalo Bills) He has such bad allergies they have to feed him a special food that costs alot of $$$. I'll get the name of it on Monday. I babysit for her. He also has an under bite. His bottom teeth jut out over the top. Personally I think Charlie is just the most beautiful Bull Mastiff I have seen in awhile. Of course I haven't seen Dakota yet....... :wink:
Sassy,Maisy,Gretchen and Kato send their love to your furry gang ! :buzi:
Sassy and Maisy say they'd like to come visit their homeland !! :lol:

[quote name='Debbie']Hi Shannon and Chrissie,
I've been reading your posts and it's amazing that the bull mastiffs are quite the same with the allergies. :o
I too have a friend that has a bull mastiff named Bruce. :oops: (after a football player on the Buffalo Bills) He has such bad allergies they have to feed him a special food that costs alot of $$$. I'll get the name of it on Monday. I babysit for her. He also has an under bite. His bottom teeth jut out over the top. Personally I think Charlie is just the most beautiful Bull Mastiff I have seen in awhile. Of course I haven't seen Dakota yet....... :wink:
Sassy,Maisy,Gretchen and Kato send their love to your furry gang ! :buzi:
Sassy and Maisy say they'd like to come visit their homeland !! :lol:[/quote]

[color=darkred]Hiya Debbie.

Yes unfortunately they do suffer with allergies it comes from the Mastiff breed and I suppose the Bulldog!! Although the Bullmastiff differs in looks they are all gorgeous and when someone buys one for the first time its always wise they have a good look round as many kennels as they can for the type they want. Some prefer them with the look of a Mastiff where others prefer the Bulldog, bairing in mind the breed should look like both those breeds they originated from with 40% Bulldog and 60% Mastiff.
Centuries ago the Bullmastiff looked what different from today with longer faces, so they are changing all the time.
A friend of mine as two a male and female, Zak and Poppy....Zak is well over the standard, he is nearly as tall has a Mastiff with long fleurs and Poppy is the opposite....under the standard for a female, she is hoping to breed them soon so I am looking forward to see how the puppies will turn out but these dogs are there first and have to start somewhere.
They are doing very well in the show ring so it can't be that bad although the judges do usually pick unusual ones.

The breeders Sue and John who I had Charlie from was very well known with the ''TARTUFFE KENNEL'' in Norfolk England, they have many champions around the world, Sue ran the kennel more than John as he was a way alot on business. Sue knew what to look for in a Pedigree and always picked the best dogs although there was one she tried who didn't produce the type she was looking for..many of those went to pets homes, since then she had been very careful in choosing her stock and her kennel was full of the most amazing Bullmastiffs I have ever seen...I had already seen a few other kennels but they were nothing like this one.
Sadly Sue is no longer here due to an accident she had on her way to a show with one of her sister-in-laws Bullies Maizy, an adorable female with a good head who came away with a few scratches. she is doing very well in the showring.
Debbie I can link it here if you want to see the Tartuffe Kennel that is now based in Scotland with John's sister Janice and Angela.
you can see for yourself what you think.
Chrissie you can have a look too hun, see where I had Charlie from.[/color]

Hi Debbie,

First let me say, I am awful! I keep forgetting to upload pictures of Dakota, I need to put that on my to do list for tomorrow. :roll:

And it does seem that most of these allergies etc are common in Mastiffs. She is on expensive food as well. Her skin looks better but now her feet her swollen, I think she is going to have to get allergy shots at this point
:(

I am bringing her to the vet tomorrow to be sure, poor baby is limping around. I feel so bad for her.

Talk to you soon, and I promise to get my pics up!!! :lol:

[quote name='IYPChrissie']
Her skin looks better but now her feet her swollen, I think she is going to have to get allergy shots at this point
:(
[/quote]

[color=darkred]Is Dakota allowed on grass ? I find that if I keep Charlie off grass, his feet are ok....I only let him do his business where there isn't any, (like on gravel or dirt) otherwise his pads swell up like big blisters too which look really painfull :( ....so far he hasn't had any problems [/color]:D

:hand: Shannon,

I am trying to keep her off the grass now, it hasn't been easy. But her feet look better so I don't know if she just came into contact with something.

Here are 2 recent pics of her, but its her face only she was lazy that day, :ices_blah:

I will get more this week, of body and all I promise!!

[img]http://www.belly2birth.com/Dakota11.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.belly2birth.com/Dakota12.jpg[/img]
Oops, a little blurry...