Dogomania

Training leashes

stacer126

This maybe a silly question but when I go and pick up my puppy what size leash should I have and what weight?

We went to a pet store last night and we bought a lease that I felt was too heavy. The buckle itself I thought was big and heavy. I was told it was a training leash.

Any Ideas? :oops:

Is the leash leather? Nylon web? A good leather or quality nylon leash can last many many years.
Your pup will probably grow into the leash fairly quickly, if you still feel it is too heavy, what the heck get a lightweight nylon leash for her puppy days! Just keep it away from puppy teeth, they can chew through these things in a hot minute!

Oh, regarding size, do you mean length? A 6 foot leash is common, you can always hold more of the leash in your hand to keep your pup close to you. Width, 1/2 inch is sufficient now, would not hurt at all to have 3/4 or 1 inch width for your adult dog. Weims are very athletic dogs, you'll want a sturdy leash as she matures.

The leash is "heavy duty" nylon (as is says on the tag). I think we will need one for her puppy days because this one is very thick and wide.
It sounds like the one I bought will be used later.
It has a loop that is closer to the metal clip. I think it's 6 feet long, will I be using that kind in puppy school?

When you say the loop is closer to the clip, is it the kind that has two hand loops? One at the end farthest from the clip and another down close to the clip? If so, this MAY be more leash than you need, I assume it was more expensive than a regular nylon leash with one clip and one loop.
I'm not sure if you would use this type in puppy class, would this be puppy good manners/obedience class or puppy show class?
The leash that has the extra loop closer to the clip does have it purpose though I have not personally used one. If you have a large dog, it can help with extra 'control' in situations where the dog might be intent on moving forward and you want a firm grip on the leash.
Then again, a regular leash will accomplish the same thing when used properly.
Did you get the heavy duty leash from Petsmart or another local pet store? This is just my opinion here, if I still had my receipt for that leash purchase, I would take it back and get my money back or perhaps purchase a nylon or leather leash that felt sturdy but does not have the 'heavy duty' extra loop on it. Don't get me wrong, this leash will still have its uses so if you cannot or don't want to return it, that is ok too!
I think you will be fine with a regular weight nylon or leather leash, whatever you prefer.

Its supposed to be some kind of training leash, so they will walk better with you.
I will try it but not for a while. I just bought a new leash and collar from a smaller pet store, she explained everything to me aswell. Thanks for your help. She pretty much said everything you did. I got a nice design too, it looks like waves.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the second loop about 2 feet from the clip? That's considered a training leash, for learning heel and sit, stuff like that. It gets you closer to the dog so you can control it better. It's not a bad idea for training, but sounds a little heavy for a puppy. I have two leashes (three actually) one 2-ft leash, one 6-foot leash and one of those silly "let the dog run" leashes that spins out from the handle and gives them about 10 feet of room...they all have different uses.

Good luck with your new puppy! Glad you intend to have him/her trained!

:D