Dogomania

Rescue Rant

Carolk9s

I have been working with Belgian Rescue and last weekend went to do a home check. Gal was interested in adopting an older male Malinois. I spent two hours with her and actually liked her quite a bit. I thought with a few 'adjustments' she would provide a good home for this dog. She currently has an older female spayed Lab.
While I was there, we spoke of vaccinations, HW prevent, pest control etc. I asked her how often does your dog see a vet. She said last time her lab was in to see the vet was sometime last summer, otherwise it was on an as needed basis. Ok, reasonable answer.
Well of course the rescue org. calls her vet as a reference check. This is the vet info SHE gave to rescue. Found out her dog has not been in there or vaccinated since 1995. Vet even checked to see if titers had been pulled to account for no vacs. in 8 years. Nope.
Her application to adopt the dog was denied. Rightly so based upon the info rec'd from the vet SHE supplied to rescue. Now she is disappointed and 'sour' on the whole rescue experience. Said she is trying not to be angry. Also said her dog rec'd vaccinations from SPCA clinics. Er, why did she not provide that info or at least mention it to me? I would have certainly included it in my report. Documentation to verify would have made a world of difference also. sigh...
I am disappointed too, in her.
Ok rant over.

That's sad. I can't believe people don't take their dogs to the vet annually. If you don't got the money you shouldn't have a dog. If your too lazy you shouldn't have a dog, get a damn fish instead. What's really bad is that she lied to you though. Some people don't realize that you actually do check everything... just don't sign the papers when they look good.