Dogomania

Stray Dog

I was walking through the park yesterday when this dog came up to me and dropped his stick by my feet. I picked up his stick and threw it. he brought it back again. after about 5 mins I looked around for his owner.
I couldn't see anyone. Thinking he'd wandered off and someone was looking for him, I walked around the park but no one said they'd seen anyone looking for a dog. The dog just followed calmly behind me. I was there for over an hour, asking everyone i saw and no one had ever seen that dog before. Finally i had to leave, but the dog followed me right out of the park. I took him home with me. he had a collar on, with a rabies tag. I called the vet's number on the tag and told them the ID number.
they said that they had no record of the tag. Today we took him to the vet to scan for a microchip. he didn't have one. i'd like to find his owner if he has one, I've started making posters to put up. He's seems house trained but not obedience trained. He's also not neutered, but gets along fine with my dogs. I'm not sure what to do with him if he's a stray. Fortunately my parents are dog lovers as well so thay say we can keep him until we find his owner. I'm not sure what else to do do find his owner,
exept maybe call the local shelters see if anyone's reported him missing.

I took some pictures this morning, I'll post them soon. He seems like a pretty happy dog.

Keep trying Lucky, but, and I'm sorry to say this, he may have been abandoned. People drop dogs off in parks all the time when they dont want them or cant keep them....it's so stupid, but they dont want to be thought of as "bad pet owners" so they drop them off where no one will know. You can call the local county or precinct that issues the rabies tags - here in the states they are issued by County. But someone has the records of the number on the rabies tag. so it can be traced.

Good luck! I hope this is just another "Alex" (the King of Escapism....)
and that they really want him back.

Oh, that's so sad. The poor puppy musta had a guardian angel with him to help guide him to you, Lucky!! Keep tryin. Maybe he just got loose, and the owner might not know about it yet. I've brought a couple husky's back to their home when they got outa the fence. It happens. Hopefully it ain't a kinda case that Court described above.

Good Idea K - Alex and Freebee both got out the other day (some kid left the gate open!! :evil: ) and I called the police. They sent animal control out to look for Alex....Freebee came back when I called her. The animal control lady found him a few blocks away, communing with the neighbors.... *sigh* who musta heard me calling him.....he has a name tag on.....

anyway, yes, Lucky, call the police too. That might help alot.

Well looks like the poor boy was abandoned. Called the vet again and gave them the ID # and they found the phone number. it turned out that they made a mistake last time. my dad called the number and told the person I found their dog. He denied ever owning a dog then after a few more minutes he said he sold the dog to a friend. But he can't remember who he sold him to! he told us he didn't want the dog back and just to get rid of him :x. I did get a little infomation about him though. His name is Ike, and he's about 1 1/2 old. He was sold as a purebred labrador (he's obviously not). I'm pretty sure he was ignored for the better part of his life.
Now I'm not sure what to do with him. I don't want to get too attached because we'll probally have to find him a new home. but it's really hard. He's such a sweet dog. I can't imagine how anyone could just abandon him like that.

I am sorry but that Vet HAS to have a record of that rabies tag. Maybe they did a rabies shto clinic and do not store those records on computer...but if they gave that shot by D*MN they had better have a writter record of who it went too. I would try again...and be VERY persistant!!!!

thats sad. i hope you will be able to find his owner. if he really was abbandoned thats really screwed up and his owners should be locked up. he seems like a really sweet dog.

its sad to see strays walking around. one night while i was sitting in front of my house this poor stray dog came and sat in front of my house just looking at me. he was missing a leg. so i thought let me get him some food and water. by the time i came back he was gone. :(

Lucky i think your doing the right thing. i wish there were alot more people like you. :kciuki:

[quote name='luckychaos']Well looks like the poor boy was abandoned. Called the vet again and gave them the ID # and they found the phone number. it turned out that they made a mistake last time. my dad called the number and told the person I found their dog. He denied ever owning a dog then after a few more minutes he said he sold the dog to a friend. But he can't remember who he sold him to! he told us he didn't want the dog back and just to get rid of him :x. .[/quote]

what a stinking JERK. glad you found him and i hope things go okay with your decisions about homing him........

I agree, what a jerk! It's one thing if you can't take care of your dog so you give it up or surrender it to a shelter, but it's another thing if you abandon it and deny having owned the dog! Some people think that dumping dogs at parks is a good idea, cuz there's a lot of people that would see the dog and there might be someone who could take him home, like you did! That dog was sure lucky that you were at the right place at the right time. Who knows, he could have starved, wandered onto a busy street, fallen into a frozen river (can you tell I'm a big fan of Animal Precinct?). Hope it all works out! Good lulck!