Dogomania

What kind is a good breeder?

Crested

Wich breeder would you pick?  

1. 1. Wich breeder would you pick?

This thing seems to be a very flamable subject and has been here many times, but this is I guess a little diffirent. If you would have to choose between 5 breeders to pick yourself a dog, wich one of theese would it be?

1. A breeder that breeds for money purpouses only and has a couple Ch dogs.
2. A breeder who has a lot of dogs of diffirent breeds, some Ch, some not and has a litter after another, but says that he doesn't breed for money purpouses.
3. A breeder who has bred for several years, had hundrades of Ch puppies and has 5 or more litters a year
4. A young breeder with just a couple dogs who do not have any Ch titles yet, but he/she works very hard and goes to every dog show he/she can and breeds because of the love for the breed and not for the money one or two litters a year.
5. A breeder who has only 1 litter a year with the best Ch dogs he/she can find from the best bloodlines and that is very active with dogs.

/Crest

None of the above?
A litter every other year max and only when appropriate and can get right mix and better breed?
Interested in betterment of breed?
Ensures proper pup goes to proper home?
Is also involved in rescue?
Is knowledgable about their breed, breeding, genetics, training, handling and at least one activity ie herding, agility, comp obedience, SAR, or showing?
Has excellent lines, whether that means Ch or recognized working lines?

I would not buy from any of those- I would like to meet the breeder have a look the all her dogs check for temprement make sure she loves her all stock also she should ask me questions to make sure I want a puppy for the right reasons- and it's not just a whim to match my latest decor. She should want me to keep in touch. Take an interest in how the puppy turns out :)

Just becouse they have a CH
doesnt mean they are up to standard, there is so much political BS that is in the dog show world that it stinks, yes there are worthy dogs out there, but i would rather judge a dogs movement in its own environment, moving natural and comfortable, without the blown out open coat that the majority of newf owners at shows do to their newfs, hiding faults.
i would rather see a newf in action working than in the conformation ring, though that to is important, only if they are not judged becouse of politics, and i have heard the arguement that it is not political, go ahead and tell yourselves that, it truly is, and those that deny it the most are the ones who probably just dont want to see it.
i dont have CH in front of some of my dogs, becouse of lack of time to show, but i do have time to work them, i cant do everything, but do make the effort to study structure and movement for years before ever starting my program, and i also studied the standard inside and out, and refuse to breed for the latest vogue in the showring.
i can say more, and somehow feel that this is a very contraversial subject.

• 4 weeks later...

none of the above.

Responsible breeder:

someone who breeds to better the breed all around, not just one specific aspect of the breed.

someone who is ready to do whatever possible if any complications occur through the birth, a breeder who will stay up all night with their bitch to make sure everything is alright...who will sleep right there next to her and be ready to spend any money that it may take incase any major complications occur- or a c-section is needed.

someone who is not breeding for money, but to keep good blood lines running...to bring healthy dogs into a world.

someone who interviews each of their puppy buyers, and keeps in contact with them

someone who knows that sometimes they risk a lot of money when they have a litter, but they still know it is worth it. even though the price they sell the pups at might not make up for all the expenses...

someone who gets their dog tested and clearanced before breeding...and who tries their best to breed within the akc standard

someone who breeds from lines that do not carry genetic/hereditery diseases...

someone who is involved with their dogs...does hunting/field tests, shows, gets titles...etc.

yup. now there is a breeder for ya!

:D

Yep Mama AJ, you got that right.

May I add one more to it.

A breeder that will take a pup back for whatever reason, at any age rather than risk it ending up in a shelter.

Make that a breeder that states in the puppy agreement contract that the dog [u]will[/u] be returned to the breeder before being placed in another home so that the breeder can interview them too.

:angel:

• 2 months later...

I picked number 5 only because that is the one that I would pick out of the 5

But usuall when getting a new puppy, I go to the breeders house and I dont pick out of looks I go for personality......

OH I used to have a Pet store and I did have puppies but instead of having high priced pure breeds I had mut's and mix's that people did not want to take to the pound, and sold them at cost for theyre puppy booster shots, I had never had to put a puppy down, nor would I ever. I still live in the same town and see allot of the puppies that I have sold, it is so cute to see them with there new families,