Dogomania

HEARTBROKEN in MI

science_doc

I just contacted the people who adopted the lab/husky mix from me and they told me she was hit by a car and killed a couple of months ago :cry: Complete sadness is my first reaction. Then complete anger is my second reaction :evil: :evil: :evil: I knew she was in trouble the last time I saw her. They weren't keeping up with her training at all! That beautiful dog next to my name has crossed the rainbow bridge. I wish that these people would have had a brain in their heads. How in the world are you supposed to pick out good owners from a 20 minute interview in a Pet Smart! I am so ANGRY. I will NEVER EVER REHOME ANOTHER DOG FOR ANY REASON AS LONG AS I LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:( It's not your fault Doc... you can't be a person's keeper forever and you can't take responsibility for other people's actions, however tragic they may be. You did what you thought was the best thing at the time. I am sorry that it has turned out like this. :cry:

But those owners will get their bad karma ten times over. :evil:

I am SOOO sorry Doc....I feel for you, but I need to ask a question....

Do you know the details? Lab's are master escapists, and he may have slipped out by accident. Mine have escaped from a fenced in yard a number of times. I am not defending the owners or what happened,
but is is possible it wasnt really their fault. That's hard to take with your anger, I know, and I feel really bad for you....

From experience, tho, I know with mine that I have been training them continually since I got them, whenever possible, and they still make a break for it whenever they can.....

My heart goes out to you Doc. Your pup is watching over you now....

:angel:

Thank you everyone for your support. I contacted the rescue group which helped us rehome Abbie. They are as concerned as we are for what happened. I am holding out a tiny glimmer of hope that these people have told another lie and that perhaps they tried to rehome Abbie themselves. I pray that the rescue will get more information from these people than I was able to get. In any case if that dog is alive, I will find her. If I can find her a least I can check on her welfare. I just feel sick, she was so amazing and I knew that these people had no idea what a wonderful dog they adopted. I understand that not everyone wants to train their dog and some people think it's fine to tie up a dog and ignore it, but I DON"T. I never would have let them even try to care for Abbie if I knew how irresponsible and uncaring they were going to be :evil:

okay I've gotten more information and calmed down quite a bit. As you can all imagine I was shocked to find out that Abbie had been killed. As it turns out she was hit by a car and it was a terrible accident. I am sorry that I made those people relive the accident, but as it turns out Abbie was killed in October. I wish they would have contacted me sooner or even just replied to some of my email, I probably wouldn't have been so suspicious. Anyway I have been feeling pretty lousy that I will never get to see Abbie again, I really loved that dog.

Guest Anonymous

Awe, I'm SO sorry to hear that SciDoc! :cry: :cry: I know how horrible it is to lose a dog like that, two of our have been in my lifetime, and it's a real tragity. :x :cry:

I'm very sorry to hear about Abbie. It's terrible. You have to understand that it's not your fault and you can't blame yourself for what happened.

I have to comment on something else you said though:

[quote] How in the world are you supposed to pick out good owners from a 20 minute interview in a Pet Smart![/quote]

I was at a PetSmart adoption with my sister where she wanted to adopt a female American Bulldog. The brilliant folks that were running the adoption decided to adopt the dog to another family that was there. The family was made-up of a mother and her two young daughters. The girls were very young and if you combined their weight the dog would have out-weighed them both by at least twenty pounds. This in itself is not a big deal but when the family was interacting with the dog it was clear that the girls were TERRIFIED of the dog. One of them was crying when the dog would approach her! This was a young and rambunctious bulldog and (speaking as someone experienced with these dogs) it was clear that this was NOT the right home for the dog. My sister is also experienced with these types of dogs and could have provided a good home for the dog along with proper training. Needless to say we left without the dog that we went specifically to adopt. I sincerely hope the adoption worked out but I'd almost be willing to bet that it didn't!

I think that the folks that run these adoptions need to be more selective when choosing homes for these dogs! It shouldn't be run on a first-come, first-serve basis! As always, just my opinion.