Dogomania

*~what should I do?~*

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[color=darkblue]Hi there...My pup, a 6 month old, j.r.t/eskimo mix is giving me a little trouble. Whenever I[b] try[/b] to trim his nails he freaks out :madgo:

Most of the time he's a good little guy...I wouldn't say he's "aggresive", it's just that he hates having his nails cut. If I send him to a groomer to get them cut do you think he'd act the same way?
If he did get angry and do something what would happen to him/me?? :oops:

I'm not hurting him nor do I want to... I don't know why this gets him so mad..I'm not sure what to do... if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated :help1: he/we could really use some...Thanks in advance for your help :lookaround: [/color]

Work on your stand and stay commands alot while playing with his feet and nails. Make it fun, give him treats. Start by clipping one nail at a time. Do not use a muzzle or restrain him unless you have no other options because once you do this you set the process up to be a battle forever more and he is going to fight you from the second you put the muzzle on.

Guest Anonymous

[color=darkblue][/color]Thanks for the advice!
Well I've tried having someone hold him and he flipped out.. also I've tried this head gear called "gentle leader" and that just peeved him off too :roll:
Maybe his vet could put him under :roflt:
Billy is very food oriented, today I tried with pieces of hotdog, I thought for sure that would work.. I mean when I ask him to give me 5 he has no problem...If you have any other suggestions please throw them my way :wink:

Try clicker training. It really works. There are a lot of clicker sites on the web that will show you how to do it. You could also try a Dremel. My dog finds this less disagreeable then the clippers because it doesn't pinch.

:D Everybody's got some great advice, although only use a muzzle if he tries to bite you. I use a dremel, and with the mix you have I would highly suggest this since as he gets older the nails will get harder to cut. Check out [url]www.doberdawn.com[/url] she's got a great method of teaching a dog the dremel method. Re-enforce with lots of praise, cookies, hugs, kisses... you get the idea. Don't try to do all of his toes the first time. Take puppy dog steps. Good Luck!

:angel:

When Ben was about 6 months old he started to REALLY hate getting his nails clipped! He did everything he possibly could to get out of it! He even "bit" me (his biteing is more like his teeth barely touching my skin). I just stayed firm and growled "NO!" every time he tried to do something like that (only when he was really bad, wich wasn't so often)! If he became really impossible I took him firmly by his neck and shaked him just a tiny, tiny bit while growling "NO!" at him.
This took about 1-2 months before he understood who is boss. He still don't like getting his nails clipped but now he just tries to shake his paw away from my hand.
Every dog tests his limits when he's young. This is the time when you have to show that you are the boss and not him. If you don't you could wind up with an aggressive dog that does everything he can to try and boss you around.

Hope this helped!

/Crest

Since he is a smaller breed you may be able to get away with not trimming them at all. Instead take him for a walk every day on pavement. Pavement is the key work. The more he walks on the concrete, it will help file his nails and the less he will need his nails trimmed. During the summer when I walk my jrt everyday on the side walk she rarely needs a trim (probably doesn't need it at all, I am OCD).

However, in the mean time you need to work on the desensitizing him. I've heard that if you put him on the table in a stand, put PB on a paper plate, you can hold the plate in front of his face with one hand and then touch his feet with the other. The PB should take his mind off of you playing with his feet. But you need to start slowly, just touch first, dont pick up the foot. The more comfortable he gets the farther you can progress. Do this multiple times a day for a few weeks. Slowly add the clippers too. First just put them on the table, then put them in your hand as you touch, then pretend to clip. Constantly praise and have lots of PB.

Good luck!

We rarely have to clip our dogs nails either and they are large breed dogs. We also take a jog or play on concrete or pavement or something - works great, also toughens pads of feet a bit so when we go on our canoe trips the dog hopefully will not hurt them when we do the rocky portages.