Dogomania

Getting a dog - What I need to know

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Background:
I have wanted a Golden Lab Retriever for as long as I can remember! Unfortunately my husband has not wanted a dog and I have held off for 16 years. My daughter is now 11 and is an only child. She also wants a dog and we have decided it is time. I want this to be a positive experience for the dog as well as my daughter husband and I.

Question:
What do I need to know before proceeding with adopting or purchasing a dog, preferably a lab mix?

What I have been told thus far:
- it is better to get a retriever/lab mix - purebreads have a lot of problems
- it is better to get a female - easier to train, better with kids
- it is better to adopt in the spring - easier to train

If anyone can provide links to sites with information or provide me with their advise it would be most helpful.

Thanks, Waited long enough!!!

Unless you plan to actually show the dog I would strongly suggest getting a mixed breed from a shelter or rescue. There are virtually no health differneces but you will be saving a shelter animals life.
Males and females have the same trainability but some males may be more dominent and thus more headstrong. BTW most of the Lassies were actually male dogs as the trainers found those paticular males easier to train. :niewiem:
Adopting in early spring may make it easier to leash train and house train as the weather will be warmer so its nicer for you. But, you'll have to be out in the nasty weather eventually and it still rains in spring so if you find the right dog don't let the time of year stop you.
One other word, be sure your husband is fully ready to accept the dog into the house. He doesn't have to be wildly crazy about the idea but if he plainly doesn't want the dog in the house it will almost certainly be a difficult process and quite possibly end badly for the dog. What resistances does your husband have to a dog? Your choices in age of dog, breed of dog, size of dog, etc may be able to address his concerns and make things easier.

Great idea to do your homework first!! I have one of each, a Lab, Daisy and a Lab/Golden Retriever mix, Chelsea and, so far, what you have heard is correct. Chelsea is very young, but so far, less trouble than the Lab. But, Daisy is Wonderful with a capital "W". She takes so much from the puppy, she is highly intelligent and a very sweet dog. But, she is 3 1/2 and I wouldn't have said this a year ago. Labs take a long time to get out of the "puppy stage". They will chew and get into trouble up until they are at least 3 if not longer. If you can hold out, they become the best dogs in the world!! Looking back, I wouldn't trade her for anything :D

My mix is very smart too, and I can see at this age that she is calmer than Daisy.

If you get a puppy, you will have to train and puppy-proof your house. They WILL chew some of your favorite things if you're not careful. Make sure you have plenty of toys and things OF THEIR OWN to chew on.

There are a lot of sites out there: Check with your local humane society. If you want a specific breed, let them know. They do have pure breds.

You can alwasy window shop at [url]www.petfinder.com[/url] It is great, you put your zip code in and it will take you to the dogs in your area. You can put in the age, sex and breed you are looking for.

Good luck!! :D

Guest Anonymous

I have seen pet stores selling Golden Labs as a new breed, this is really just a mixed breed. Many Guide Dog organizations cross Labs and Goldens if you consider an older dog try to adopt one from the guide dog rescues.

Do you have space, a crate, leash, collar, toys, training devices and info?
Who will walk the dog, who will feed the dog, who will clean up after the dog? Will you be taking the dog to obedience, will the classes near you let your daughter attend/handle the dog? Got any names in mind yet?

Thank you, thank you, [b]thank you! [/b]for doing your homework first!!! I can tell you'll be a great and responsible dog owner!!!

I think that it's great that you are looking at mixed breeds, not just full bred dogs. I have a Lab mix myself and she has just gotten her canine good citizen award. She's a great dog, and she has such a personality!

I agree with Dogpaddle, your husband needs to agree to have a dog... when you get a dog it's a whole household experience, and you've got to communicate on who's gonna walk the dog, feed the dog, etc. And you should share all the dog duties with everyone in the household. And the dog needs to be trained, not just by you but by your daughter and husband too. The dog needs to know that it has to listen to everyone. For instance, what if your husband was alone with the dog out in the yard and it ran into the street, when a car was coming?? Your dog would need to know to come when ur husband recalls her/him. It could save its life.

And always look in your local humain society/dog shelter/ or pound before you go anywhere else. And never buy a dog from a pet shop. Pet shop puppies almost always come from puppy mills, and if they don't they come from unreputable breeders... which is just as bad.

Good luck on your husband, and with your future dog!!!!

I have a male golden/lab mix (you can see him in the avatar and the pictures section) and he is a very very good dog, with a few exceptions.
Goldens and Labs often need to chew, like was said. Mine is an excessive chewer. There always has to be something here to chew on or he steals stuff to chew up. They need a goodly amount of exercise, so be prepared for that. Females tend to be less dominant, and so sometimes are easier to train. It depends on the particular dog. Females also tend to be smaller.

They are very good with children, are not normally aggressive (although they sound like it when they bark)and train fairly easily if you keep at it.
They are stubborn, so keeping at it is the key.

If your husband is willing to get a dog but doesnt really want to, I would suggest a more mature one, already housebroken and partially trained.
A puppy can cause a lot of stress and damage. Both of mine are rescues, and yet once settled in they took to life here just fine.

Be aware that it is in your best interests to get lab/Goldens neutered. Because of their nature they tend to want to roam, and they are devious escapists. Neutering drives that urge down somewhat.

If you can find one at a shelter, please do. These dogs are gentle, loving and loyal, but their high energy gets them dumped frequently. And they are HIGH energy dogs. Please take that into consideration as well.

I'm glad your researching this....I think you'll make a good dog owner because of that.

Guest Anonymous

Well It does not really matter whether you get a purebred or a mix one is not healthier than the other. First you need to find out what breed suits you and your family best you should not just go and get a lab because you like labs you need to research each breed and it's traits then once you are ready for the dog and your husband agrees to get one(Do not get one against his will as the dog and you and your daughter will suffer) you can begin searching your area shelters for a dog that is a compatible breed or mix of compatable breeds and go from there but remember you must also evaluate each individual dogs temperment.
Some things to watch out for since you have a child are:

1.Food aggression or guarding toys and other objects.
2. Make sure they like kids not only yours but all kids as your daughter has friends that might come over right?
3. If you get a puppy socialize a lot!!
4. Watch out for overly shy dogs as they may be fear biters or overly aggressive acting dogs.
Also remember that many shelter dogs may appear to be overly active but in reality it is because they are stuck in a smal kennel24-7 and need to be excersized/trained. My dogs which are chained(I know I know) are very hyper when I first take them off and bring them inside but they do calm down and act totally different after being in the house for a while.

Guest Anonymous

A few things I can add here....

If you get a pup, strongly consider enrolling it in a puppy class. Have your daughter participate and your husband if he is willing. Puppy classes are FUN and they start forming the bond important for good family relationships. You do not finish there since I am a firm believer that all dogs need to have a basic obedience class.

If you get an adult, basic obedience is important. Golden/Lab mixes are big dogs! And they need to know where their place is. If you get a shelter dog, make sure the shelter has temp tested them. A real good book for reference in bringing home a shelter/rescue dog is "Save that Dog" Many people (particularly kids want to play play play with their new dog but the dog does need time to learn about and understand their new family. One of my "adopted" eskies was placed in a home with kids, and although never had a "biting" history, started snapping at kids because he wasn't given enough time to settle down. He was back in rescue within two weeks. He has not snapped at anyone since he came back. (I was the new foster when he came back and decided to keep him because he was really a nice little dog!)

Exercise is very important. These guys both are hunters and are athletic. Lack of proper exercise will create frustration in the dog and problems for you. Personally, with my three american eskimos, I exercise DAILY off lead in a field for a minimum of one hour (Winters too!) In really bad weather, I have a dog day care that I take them to once to twice a week so they can run with other dogs for the entire day!

Both (and I have had Labs and Goldens) love to chew so satisfying that need appropriately is important. It also helps keep their teeth and gums healthy.

Both breeds shed and require consistent grooming to maintain their coats properly. Be prepared to invest in clothing brushes to clean the hair off of you. Also, the hair will shed on your furniture, floors, etc.

Labs it seems love water and mud. They will seek it out in roll in it!

Also both breeds have a certain history of genetic problems in particular with hip dysplasia. Although you are looking at a cross between the two, it can be a problem. You will want to carefully maintain an appropriate weight and keep an eye out for signs of discomfort in those back legs.

Good luck