Dogomania

Breeds for allergics... "They don't shed at all!"

Crested

Ok, now I'm really mad! I've read articles about allergies and asthma and dogs. (Because I have both asthma and severe allergies) The statements I have heard are just rediculaus!
First idiotic statement I have heard is:
"An allergic and asthmatic person can have a dog that don't shed at all. They are hypo allergic."
Man... How stupid people can get! What about the dander? Even if you don't SEE the dander it's still there! I've heard about breeders that sell Chinese Cresteds, Poodles, Schnauzers etc. as "hypo allergic". The truth is THERE ISN'T A DOG BREED IN THE WORLD THAT IS HYPO ALLERGIC!!!!
In dogs (as in every pet and animal) allergens are in urin, poop, saliva AND dander! Offcourse dogs that get a big cloud of dander in the air every time you scratch them behind their ear causes more allergies then a dog that doesn't! And when a dog sheds a little ammount of dead skin cells (dander) gets stuck on the hair and that's visible dander! So when dogs don't shed people think that "Yay! They are hypo allergic!".

First of all... If you can get a dog to not pee, not poop, destroy their saliva and get their skin so that no dead skin cells appear, then grait! You have just found a hypo allergic dog!

First of all. When I'm buying a dog, the first thing I ask a breeder is: "What's your view on allergies and dogs?" and the second one "Will you sell a puppy to an allergic person?".
I've heard some rediculaus things like: "Sure I sell a pup to an allergic! A Crested is hypo allergic. They don't have hair remember?" Geesh, and not having hair means that the dog don't get any dead skin cells??

I'm allergic. I have a Chinese Crested and don't get any reactions. Grait for me! My nephev (don't know how to spell that) starts sneezing every time he comes to visit and he's not allergic to anything else but dogs and cats!! Allergies can vary from person to person and it doesn't matter how severe allergies you have, you might be able to have a dog, but you might not. I have got many e-mails from the day that Ben came to our home to now asking: "I'm allergic. Can I get a Crest?". After a while I might get from the same person: "I got a Crest but got reactions. What do I do to get rid of them?". Again after a while: "I had to give my dog away, because I couldn't be near it.". First of all; none of theese persons who send me e-mails like this even listen to what I know and say. They just think that they know everything and there isn't a reason for them to understand that there aren't any hypo allergic dogs. They KNOW there are. They just need someone to say: "Yeah! Go ahead! ALL dogs are hypo allergic!!!"

Now theese "new breeds" that have come up. Schnoodles, cockapoos, labradoodles tjat have been made just for allergics. To the breeders or people who came up with this: "WHAT THE H*** IS MATTER WITH YOU!?!? WE HAVE OVER 300 DOG BREEDS ALLREDY AND NOW YOU WANT TO CREATE MORE!!! YOU CAN [b]NOT[/b] GET A DOG TO STOP POOPING, PEEING, HAVING SALIVA IN THEIR MOUTH OR NEVER GETTING RID OF DEAD SKIN CELLS! IT'S LIKE SAYING "SPEAK" TO A STONE EXPECTING IT TO ANWSER!!

GET SOME TRUTH FOR A CHANGE!! AND [b]NEVER[/b] BELIEVE A BREEDER WHO SAYS THAT THEIR BREED IS "HYPO ALLERGIC" BECAUSE THERE ISN'T SUCH A THING!!!!!! THE ONLY HYPO ALLERGIC DOG IS A DOG WHO'S DEAD!! DEAD DOGS DON'T PEE, POOP, HAVE SALIVA IN THEIR MOUTH OR GET DEAD SKIN CELLS OF THEIR SKINN. SO YEAH. GET A DEAD DOG THEN! :evil:

Sorry about this, but I'm really fed up with this!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

K: I'm just a big devil! :evil: <-- See? :lol:

No, but I'm really sick of the fact that some breeders actually seem to have a "slogan" going something like this: "Our dogs are hypo allergic. Everyone who's allergic can tolerate OUR dogs! Buy one of OUR dogs! It's risk free!" WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY SELLING THEN!?!? DEAD DOGS?!?!

The only reason why Cresteds and other hairless breeds are sold as "hypo allergic" is because:
1. you don't see their dander
2. some people think it's the HAIR that causes allergies :roll:
3. they are easy to clean, so the dander goes down the drain.

(Wich of the third one is the only one wich makes sence!)

/Crest

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I'm going to have to disagree there are dogs that dont have fur they have hair and they dont shed and don't have dog dander and many people aren't allergic.

Guest Anonymous

Hi!
I would just like to say that your writing is true and is not true. It depends if a persons is alegic to dog or cat fur (hair) or to everything about dogs / cats. I'm alergic to cat fur, I have cats but they are living with my grandma and when I pet them there is no problem, i only star to sneeze when they are too close to my nose or inside
I'm sory for grammar mistakes but you must understand that I don't live in America or GB. Here is the same text in my language

kiti: It's not the fur, it's the dander. Dogs and cats have diffirent dander. People that are allergic to dog dander aren't allways allergic to cat dander and vice versa.
The thing that it's FUR that is the cause of it all is NOT true!
You can ask any allergy specialized doctor and you will get the same anwser.

/Crest

Guest Anonymous

:lol: OK i think she would know what she is allergic too and some people are allergic to the fur not very many but some are lol also my point is that these dogs yes they have dander but its not the stuff people are allergic too have you got your "information" on the net? Lol[/b]

Blue -- you are obviously trying to start an argument.

Why don't YOU do the research or better yet, ask an Doctor --- you know, one that specializes in allergeries.

Some people have an intolerance to some things that most people do not. The reason they may be intolerant to hair/fur is because it is encased in DANDER!

Argue if you want --- but you WILL be arguing BY YOURSELF.

Good post Crested.

Guest Anonymous

Hobbit i know its you "Me too" what do you look and try to find my name? It seems like itbecause everywhere i post you are there critizing me and maybe i have and some people aren't allergic to those dogs because they dont have dog fur so its a different type of dander and iknow what im talking about just leave me alone ok? STOP FOLLOWING ME and im not trying to start a fight im posting my opinions or in your world is that not allowed

[quote name='blueH']Hobbit i know its you "Me too" what do you look and try to find my name? It seems like itbecause everywhere i post you are there critizing me and maybe i have and some people aren't allergic to those dogs because they dont have dog fur so its a different type of dander and iknow what im talking about just leave me alone ok? STOP FOLLOWING ME and im not trying to start a fight im posting my opinions or in your world is that not allowed[/quote]

I have no earthly idea what the H E L L you are talking about. I've been Hobbit for 1800 + posts --- ask the moderator, ask K, ask bk, ASK ANYONE.

YOU need medication. This and Doggie Days are the only forum that I frequent. You have me confuse with someone else --- CHECK MY IP NUMBER!

blueh wrote:[quote]
I'm going to have to disagree there are dogs that dont have fur they have hair and they dont shed and don't have dog dander and many people aren't allergic.
[/quote]

There is no such thing as a non shedding dog. Poodles etc DO shed, it just goes unoticed because of the curl. In order for ANY fur/hair to grow it MUST also shed.

Guest Anonymous

I'd just like to add (outside of whatever arguement seems to be going on :lol: :wink: ) That dogs with dander can be "fixed". It's all diet based. If a dog has a lot of dander then it's caused by a bad diet. Hazel had the WORST coat, and dander, I even started feeling alergic around her, and I only have two alergies; perfume and that medicine stuff I had to take back in the day. Anywho, after we got her on the BARF diet then that all changed, her coat isn't as dry, and she has barely any dander!
Yeah, great Post Crest! I totally agree with you! :thumbs:

Ehem... I have a HAIRLESS dog. So Ben doesn't have any hair to shed but he has dander! It's just not visible dander! The only time he sheds is when you groom his tail! And when you groom his tail he sheds a LOT! Can you believe it, atleast FIVE hairs!! :o :D

So if Ben hasn't got a fur but still my nephiew (tell me how that is spelled correcly, please!) starts sneezing every time he comes over, I wonder what could be the cause of it. :wink: Ben is house trained so it can't be the two other things that allso cause allergies: urine and feecies, and my nephiew don't get a rash from Ben's saliva, then I REALLY wonder what it could be... :wink: Could it be dander? :D

I've been studying allergies and dogs for ages, because I have allways wanted to have a dog or a cat, so I know what I'm talking about. I guess I started asking doctors when I was three... And now I'm 17 (turning 18 in august). That means that I have sucked information inside myself for 14 years now. (Of wich 5 constantly reading new researches etc.)

I haven't asked just one or two doctors... Think about 10-20 and you are atleast a little closer to the real thing. I have lost count allredy. And then a "few"doctors still via internet... I guess I know what I'm talking about, huh? :wink:

[b]blueH[/b] You are REALLY off base here! Believe me! I can say with 10,000% certanty that it is NOT the fur that is the cause of allergies! It's dander, saliva, feecies and urine! And as I said before; dander is dead skin cells! EVEN [b]YOU[/b] HAVE DEAD SKIN CELLS!!

Did you know that there is a rare allergy in dogs and cats...? Allergy for HUMANS!! It's true! Unfortunately thoose pets are put to sleep, because they would be in touch with humans all the time. That means that thoose pets are allergic to HUMAN'S DEAD SKIN CELLS!! I [b][u][i]S W E A R[/i][/u][/b] this isn't a joke!

So think about that before you say it's fur!

/Crest

PS: Thanks you guys who said my post was good! :lol:

I know what you're saying Crested, I too liked your great informative posts. I meant all dogs shed - be it skin cells - dander, nails, hair-fur (for the ones that have hair). I was just disagreeing with the statement that was made about there being non shedding dogs with fur ---- that I don't believe to be true :-?

Do Cresteds have hair on their tails? That i didn't know! ........so they have got some hair then.

RR: Chinese Cresteds have crests (hair on their head), plumes (hair on their tails) and socks (hair on their feet/paws). Otherwise they are naked. Well... unless they are hairy hairlesses. That means you have to shave them. Or if they are Powder Puffs, that means they are born with fur and have not got the hairless geene. When breeding hairless with hairless the result will usually cause powder puffs too. But some people think powder puffs are a totally diffirent breed, so they KILL their pp's!!! :mad:
If you breed powder with powder the result is just powders (because as I said, they don't have the hairless geene).
So if someone would want to destroy the hairless Chinese Cresteds, they could easilly do that by just breeding pp with pp. :cry:
But I think it's a blessing that there are hairless and coated Chinese Cresteds. This means that the ones that want a dog with hair can take a pp and the ones that want a more strange looking dog can take a hairless. I love both hairless and pp! This puppy I'm now getting is going to be hairless, but probabely the third dog (OMG! :lol:) is going to be a powder puff or a medium sized Peruvian Inca Orchid. Well... time will tell... :wink:

But there are dog breeds that don't shed fur. That is completely true... BUT you have to groom them regulary (some even once a day) to get the loose hairs from the coat. If not, they get tangled and it will be a horrific mess trying to solve the coat. So they don't shed themselves, you have to "help" them by grooming them. (that means no loose hairs will end up in your sofa or in your carpet...)

Hope this was helpfull. :)

/Crest