Dogomania

A little something about the dry food u are feeding ur dogs

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Meat in dogfood has shifted from beef to chicken. Because the use and production of chicken has skyrocketed in the last decade while beef production has fallen.The makers of dogfood argue that chicken is now used because it closer provides the kind of meat protein dogs get in the wild, which is untrue. If it were true they would use venison, elk, the red muscle meat from human grade beef.
The meat used in the dry food comes from the dead, diseased, dying, and disabled animals. In other words, animals with pus, tumors, viruses, bacteria, and others that are UNFIT for human consumption. They are even known to use dead dogs! They use partially digested meat proteins
The pet food companies dont want you to know these things. They dont want you to know if you cook a little beef and add a couple of eggs and throw in a little milk how much healthier, and how much cheaper it would be.
There are several amino acids required to keep us humans healthy and strong. There are also several required to keep dogs healthy and strong. I'll list them and let you decide for yourselves if the dry food you are feeding your dog is what is best...
[u]HUMANS[/u] ....... [u]DOGS[/u]
Arginine ...... Arginine
Histidine ...... Histidine
Isoleucine ...... Isoleucine
Leucine ...... Leucine
Methionine ...... Methionine
Phenylalanine ...... Phenylalanine
Tryptophan ...... Tryptophan
Theroine ...... Theroine
Valine ...... Valine

This is just a little something to let you know what your dog is eating and what he should be eating.
The best source of protein for your dog is the wonderful, edible egg. A buck or so will buy you a dozen eggs. If you want to feed your dog dry food at least give him an egg mixed in and a splash of milk. You will be suprised how much more healthy, inside and out, your dog will be. He will live a longer life than what dry food alone can give him.

Thank you for the update!! WE dont eat well either, obviously...

I give my dogs rice and lamb formula, which guarantees real rice and lamb, and I also give them some leftover people food, whicn I prepared and know what's in it.

the canned food they get (a small amount in each meal) is only to "spice" the dry food, and to give them some fat which makes their coats glossy and weather resistance...

They are labs and have no real "winter fur" - so keeping the coat glossy helps protect them from Chicago winters....

[quote]They are labs and have no real "winter fur" - so keeping the coat glossy helps protect them from Chicago winters....[/quote]

Zaphod is a labcross (mostly lab I think), when we brought him home his puppy coat was fuzzy, not sleek/shiney. We are used to having a bc (longish double coat) and a GSD/malamute (medium double coat). Both Kavik and Tyr would stay out even as young pups for hours in the snow. We took all the dogs to the conservation area and poor Zaphod was shivering within minutes (we went home.) We were unprepared for this aspect of a lab a guess but now I certainly know what you mean.
We are feeding mostly Mmillenia which is a beef based kibble (we also feed beef, chicken, eggs with shell, oatmeal, yogurt a smattering of fruit and veggies, etc and of course CHEESE, but the kibble far outways the other food at this timeand within 3 weeks of coming here Zaphods coat was sleek and shiney, he can now spend more time out of doors, of course still not as much as the other guys but then Tyr likes to take daytime naps out in the yard.

Hmmm. I really think you should clarify your post. While most of the information you have given is true, you need to put it in context. The foods you speak of are big name "commercial" foods, sold at grocery stores and large chain pet stores. There are dry foods that use high quality human grade ingredients that are more than acceptable. These are the premium foods, that most of the members here use.

Just one question though, if chicken is bad b.c that is not what they eat in the wild, then why are eggs the best source of protein, did they often eat eggs in the wild? And milk, why is that good for them? Wild dogs never had access to cows milk. There are alot of misconceptions about what wild dogs actually ate. You might want to do a little more reseach.

My dogs are fed on Hero Complete. They were tried on Pedigree amongst others, but I have found that Hero is best has it gives them strong bones as well has an healthy shiny coat, plus my Bullmastiff does not get skin problems now! So it must have something thats good. They also have vegetables and fruit included.
As for milk, I would not give mine any has it can cause stomach upsets in dogs as well has cats...believe it or not.

I buy Hero from my local Asda superstore now, which my dogs like better than any other brand. (Suprising I know) but I am not going to feeds my dogs on anything that isn't suited to them...especially the Bullmastiff has he is prone to allergies which include wheat and dairy products etc, which Hero is free of.

What brand does your dog/s get fed on ?

I feed Pal Pedigree, one can and three handfuls of dry each... yes I know it is rubbish and I was looking into BARF... but both our dogs have done well on Pedigree with absolutely no health problems (well Rinny does have arthritis etc but he's 16 so I think it is just old age!) and seeing as I don't live with either of them anymore (I did have BK here but due to his destruction of 2 1/2 fences and the weatherboards of the back of the rented house he has been deported back to dad's :roll: ) I can't do much about their diet. :-? Anyway it seems to suit them fine, if it ain't broke don't fix it. :wink:

Most dogs do well on Pedigree etc but others like my Charlie, the Bullmastiff is very sensitive to certain ingredients which I do try to avoid has much as I can.....and I can say I have finally found the cure of the problem which is feeding Hero Complete, completely free of wheat etc which gives him allergies.

[quote name='Shannon_C']I buy Hero from my local Asda superstore now, which my dogs like better than any other brand. (Suprising I know) but I am not going to feeds my dogs on anything that isn't suited to them...especially the Bullmastiff has he is prone to allergies which include wheat and dairy products etc, which Hero is free of.

What brand does your dog/s get fed on ?[/quote]

Oh I just noticed you are English, which is why I don't know that food. Not that I know all foods LOL but we have different brands here.

I feed naturally, as in my dog gets food. He eats raw meat, veggies, fruits, yogurt, supplements, and some cooked potatoes (new potatoes) and sweet potatoes. So I'm pretty anti-all-kibbles. :)

Guest Anonymous

I used to have my dogs on Diamond. They did very well on this, but I had heard so much good about the BARF diet I decided to try it. Within the first week their coats went from shiny to XTRA SHINEY, my dals skin has tightened up (he used to have lots of loose skin) and he lost all flab, they poop less, drink less (raw is higher in water content). I freeze it all or buy it frozen so there should be no worms exc. Plus I also worm them reguarly anyway because they do SAR. They also have more "staying power" than before. Not nesisarilly more energy, just can keep going longer with out getting tired. We have had no problems. I worried about bone chips and disease, but they chew the bones up and digest them well when they are not cooked.

I tried mine on:

Pedigree
Science Diet
Iams
Eukanuba

I couldnt find one that both dogs could eat, and when I got Alex he had been neglected for so long his hair was falling out!! (He was also almost 10 lbs underweight, nice previous owners....)

And both of their coats were dry and coarse, which shouldnt be.

I ended up with Purina Lamb and Rice. It suits them both perfectly.
Alex put on weight and his coat is now glossy, with a small undertone
of fat beneath the skin (necessary as a cold and heat protector in labs, since they have no real "fur" against the weather). And you can see Freebee's gloss in the avatar. They both get leftovers now and then, and an occasional egg, but neither of them handle milk well. They love to have a raw egg mixed in with their dry! It's like a special treat!

I did a thesis on wolves during college. They are known as tyranical predators, but in reality, during the winter when the prey dries up they are scavengers. They hunt extensively during the summer, building up a large fat deposit to carry them over during the winter. In winter, they hunt when they can and also do a lot of scavaging. They eat fowl, eggs, even tubers that they dig up! They will also raid other animals kills in some places. Even garbage isnt beneath them when they can get it.

So in answer to "why no chicken but yes eggs?" it's possibly because the chicken we eat has been injected with 'growth hormones" and stuff even WE shouldnt be eating....so have a lot of the eggs being produced, but the mother hen's body screens out a lot of the crap first. By no means all of it! and natural (brown) eggs are the best choice anyway. Beef is injected with the same crap however. In the wild the animals arent subjected to that. But yes, red meat is their natural diet for the most part, but they do eat fowl, sheep, (which gave them their bad name) and other types of meat. Hope that helps!

:D

[quote name='courtnek']I tried mine on:

Pedigree
Science Diet
Iams
Eukanuba

I couldnt find one that both dogs could eat

So in answer to "why no chicken but yes eggs?" it's possibly because the chicken we eat has been injected with 'growth hormones" and stuff even WE shouldnt be eating....so have a lot of the eggs being produced, but the mother hen's body screens out a lot of the crap first. By no means all of it! and natural (brown) eggs are the best choice anyway. Beef is injected with the same crap however. In the wild the animals arent subjected to that. But yes, red meat is their natural diet for the most part, but they do eat fowl, sheep, (which gave them their bad name) and other types of meat. Hope that helps!

:D[/quote]

That's because ALL of those foods are complete crap. Sorry, but there's no better way to say it in the long run. You're paying for food that is worse than just letting them hunt for garbage and prey.

The second part...who are you responding to? Are you talking about all dogs? Different breeds have different diets historically so for all dogs, your answer is wrong.

Actually, I was responding to someone who said that "how could they get eggs in the wild?"

The DO get eggs in the wild.... and fowl, and any other form of food they can get...

Wolves have survived the worst things that can happen... and they do it by adapting... which means stealing eggs, digging up tubers,
eating garbage... They are not the NASTY predator most people think they are - the eke out a living from what they can get...