Dogomania

marrow bones

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Is it ok to give your dog marrow bones raw or should they be boiled first. I purchased some from my supermarket and the butcher there told me not to give them raw. He said the marrow inside the bone will make him sick. I heard that they should be given raw but wanted to get some advice before I give him any. Thanks.

I only ever give my dog raw bones - NEVER cooked ones as cooking weakens them and then they can splinter.

I don't believe the marrow will make your dog sick. I occasionaly give my dog bones that still have the marrow in them and he has no problems and he LOOOOOVES grinding it out with his teeth.

We give our dogs marrow bones (sectioned shank bones with marrow still intact.) They are like teething rings for dogs with a treat in the middle - the marrow appears to be the best part, none of them have gotten sick but maybe I've missed something. I know I can't leave the bones with them if they are unattended because sometimes they will work a shard or fragment of bone off them and I don't want them ingesting that (I know some BARF people may think I'm a worrier but those shank bone fragments are sharper then uncooked chicke backs.)

Really K? That's very odd. Although I'm sure you could get rib bones at least. Can you ask for big bones from the butcher? I'd feel so sad for a dog that never got to chew a real raw meaty bone. BTW where do you live? I feel like a totally idiot, I just can't figure out what NL might be!