Dogomania

working dogs

ShadyLady

Was resently told that a horse , namely cutting horse , would pass on more cow instinct the older and more experience he is. If this is true wouldnt it apply to dogs also ? It seemed a little far fetched to me ,I thought it would be that the older the sire the more chance to see his working potential ( and give you an idea if it has the working qualities you are looking for )Interested to hear other peoples thought on the matter :popcorn: I started thinking about this after reading the post on the silky dog (2 yr old)

Ability, instinct, and drive are genetic...the actual lesson is not. The first three are the result of selective breeding, of certian behaviors. I think that the dog's ability to go the distance, as it ages, is a display of its genetic predisposition....I doubt going the distance effects it genome.

Sure...some improve some don't. Some dogs have the drive and skill to be incredible athelets....and sometimes they pass on that ability and sometimes they don't. However if you are looking for a dog with working ability, you *usually* don't go to the comformation litter, who is sired by the current #1 dog and the dam is the #1 b&tch...where their brothers and sisters and ancestors were all nothing but show dogs.... You tend to go to a pedigree where there is some proof of ability, where parents have displayed working ability, preferably for many generations. Depending on how serious you are, you may look for Ch performance titles for working dogs...look at labradors and goldens, it does not take very long to create a rift in a breed...where you have ability and you have looks.
Ability is in the genes....the stronger the pedigree in the area you desire....the better chance you have at obtaining a dog that can do what you want.

With herding poofy one of the common faults is over excitement and this tend to settle down with age .A freind of mine had a kelpie 2yrs old that was an absolute maniac but with constant work by the age of 4 it was unrecognizable I couldnt believe it was the same dog . I totally agree about the seperation of showies and working lines .Personal I wouldnt even look at a dog unless I saw the parent physically working. Does any one have opinions on physical looks of pups and parents (color build ect) ? I have found that the pups tend to take after the parent that they physically look like (not all way but it is too many times to dismiss it ) any ideas? :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Okay guys this is from HOBBIT:(he still cannot get on) :(

The age of the stallion does not matter concerning the amount of instinct he passes on. Genetically, he either has it or he doesn't. He passes 1/2 his genetic code on to his progeny --- rather he's 2 or 20. It is up to the handler to nurture the colt's ability (if he inherited any) and afford him every opportunity to be the best he possibly could be.