Dogomania

Opinions On Pet Shops

eggrolyn1223

Most people say:Don't buy from a pet shop, because then the puppy millers will continue their business and keep making money.
But what if no one buys the puppy in the window?What will happen to the puppy?
I want to know your opinions on this.I've thought about this recently..do we sacrifice a few puppy's lives to make later puppies live happier?Or do we sacrifice future puppies for the welfare of the ones already in the pet shops?

If you don't want to support the people who sell to the pet shops then don't buy from them. Usually puppies are marked down and sold at a loss or given back to the broker who then usually takes them back to the breeder to get a "refund". Sometimes the dogs are just given away, sometimes to shelters or rescues.

You can't buy from the pet stores if you don't want to support what they are doing...you just can't have it both ways...

Buying from a pet store is like a crap shoot...you don't have the breeder to ask questions too, the puppy has been exposed more to possible pathogens from all the handeling....but in all honest you probably get the same quality from a pet store as you would a byb.... Not knowing who the breeder of the dog is is always a gamble.

JMHO.

:( This is a heart-breaking call either way. One part of us wants to rescue the poor little one in the pet store...but if we do....what will happen...more will be bred and we can not rescue them all.

The best way to rescue the most puppies is to boycott these stores. These people are not in it for love of animals but love of the almighty dollar.

Once it is not longer a market....then the mills will close.

Remember, 537 animals an HOUR die for lack of a home...that is 9 every minute. Nine animals have been put to death in the time it took me to write this and you to read it.

IMHO, there is no excuse for animal-selling pet stores and buying from them just continues their market in pain and misery.

I've thought about this before too. It's really sad but the bottom line is that we just [b]CANNOT[/b] purchase puppies from pet stores because these animals most likely came from a puppy-mill environment. We simply can't support this practice! It's becoming very difficult to even find a puppy in a pet store around the area that I live in, which is great! Hopefully as more people become eductated about purchasing thier puppy from a reputable breeder and [b]ONLY[/b] from a reputable breeder, pet store puppies will become a thing of the past and we won't even see puppipes in pet stores anymore! We can only hope!

As everybody else said, DO NOT BUY LIVE ANIMALS FROM PET STORES. a lot of people forget about the small animals and birds and reptiles, but they also come from pet mil places, where they are bred and raised inhumanely in unsatisfactory conditions. IMO, live animals should only be bought from breeders, where the people will be educated on the animal. I just wrote an essay about this for school, but I have yet to get it back. I know a lot of people who will buy several hamsters as babies. The pet stores don't tell them, but when they grow up, they all need different cages. When they find out about this, they'll abandom them, or let them go into fields or woods, thinking they'll return to the wild! :o So, my point is, like everybody's do not buy from pet stores!

Okay...there is a BIG difference between raising guinea pigs and hamsters and dogs. I used to raise guinea pigs and while there were some bad guinea pig people just as there were good ones, it is common and an accepted practice, to sell piggies to the pet store. You have to do your reaearch and make sure the store can properly care for the piggies. Believe it or not, most mom and mon and pop pet stores buy their guinea pigs from breeders who show their piggies (yes they have guinea pig shows) then those like pet smart who only purchase guinea pigs from large mass producers who do not show... :) (kinda ironic huh???) Any how...that is how most guinea pig people place their piggies....
I bred pure bred texels and silkies and had many CH and Grand CH piggies... I also sold them to the local pet store for people to buy.

Poofy, first of all, I've never had a guinea pig, and my point DEFINITELY was not that raising dogs is the same thing as raising guineas. That's nice that pet stores buy their small animals from breeders, but that's definitely not all pet stores! I don't care where they came from. Have you ever been to pet stores and seen their animals housed improperly. There are foul odors coming from the cages, too many of them are housed together, and they give their animals water in a food dish, not a water bottle (a definite no no). I've had 6 hamsters, 5 mice, 2 gerbils, 12 frogs, 6 hermit crabs, 4 turtles, and 3 snakes in the past six years, so I know how to house small animals. Not to mention that some pet stores keep their small animal cages by the window. Don't they know that direct sunlight is bad for them? Not just the small fuzzy animals, but the reptiles aren't given the suitable housing either. I've seen 6 turtles together in a tank. When a snake is shedding, they're definitely not getting the required amount of mist to help their new skin develop. Lets not forget about the hermit crabs, who have to sleep on top of each other. Most of them are missing their claws from fighting. The dead crabs are rotting and dangling out of their shells! My point is that the pet stores should [b]really try to improve the condition of how they care for their animals.[/b] They shouldn't treat them as merchandise, but rather a living creature. The stores should be equipped with people that actually have experience with the animals, or at least research about them. My biggest RGGG is that they will sell their animals to just anybody! A true animal lover also wouldn't think that the life of a dog is greater than that of a small animal's. A life is a life, no matter what kind of creature it belongs to. People simply think that a dog's life is a greater deal than a hamster's because they're more loyal, intelligent, and bonding. Don't get me wrong, I really value a dog's life, but people that think that a tiny animal's life isn't worth protecting really p!$$ me off! Rgggg :evil: :x !!!!! Am I the only one that thinks like this?

By the way, I have seen guinea pig shows. It's pretty cool :D. I've also seen a mice-costume-dress-up show :D. Adorable little outfits. The winner mouse had a wizaard's hat and a cape. :lol: 4H does a lot of those things, and since my barn and I are 4H members, well...

Well, I was like that before :oops: ...but realized that the small animals were animals too...

:( <--Me :chainsaw1:

They even sell little animals at night markets!The place is filthy!And they're all squeezed into tiny cages...together.. :x

Oh, if only people in Taiwan knew what they were doing...not all of the people are heartless...they just don't have a clue about all this..and there are hardly any reputable breeders in Taiwan..I even met one when I was looking for Duck..I called him and asked if he had a Lab...he said sure, and we have lots of others too...and he kept talking about his record of breeds...it's like they're all racing to produce more.. :evil:
I'm going to make a sticker thingy or whatever you call it to put on my dad's car...Spay and neuter ...in CHinese..and another one with DON'T BUY FROM PET SHOPS!! :flaming:

Poofy, first of all, I've never had a guinea pig, and my point DEFINITELY was not that raising dogs is the same thing as raising guineas. That's nice that pet stores buy their small animals from breeders, but that's definitely not all pet stores! I don't care where they came from. Have you ever been to pet stores and seen their animals housed improperly. There are foul odors coming from the cages, too many of them are housed together, and they give their animals water in a food dish, not a water bottle (a definite no no). I've had 6 hamsters, 5 mice, 2 gerbils, 12 frogs, 6 hermit crabs, 4 turtles, and 3 snakes in the past six years, so I know how to house small animals. Not to mention that some pet stores keep their small animal cages by the window. Don't they know that direct sunlight is bad for them? Not just the small fuzzy animals, but the reptiles aren't given the suitable housing either. I've seen 6 turtles together in a tank. When a snake is shedding, they're definitely not getting the required amount of mist to help their new skin develop. Lets not forget about the hermit crabs, who have to sleep on top of each other. Most of them are missing their claws from fighting. The dead crabs are rotting and dangling out of their shells! My point is that the pet stores should [b]really try to improve the condition of how they care for their animals.[/b] They shouldn't treat them as merchandise, but rather a living creature. The stores should be equipped with people that actually have experience with the animals, or at least research about them. My biggest RGGG is that they will sell their animals to just anybody! A true animal lover also wouldn't think that the life of a dog is greater than that of a small animal's. A life is a life, no matter what kind of creature it belongs to. People simply think that a dog's life is a greater deal than a hamster's because they're more loyal, intelligent, and bonding. Don't get me wrong, I really value a dog's life, but people that think that a tiny animal's life isn't worth protecting really p!$$ me off! Rgggg :evil: :x !!!!! Am I the only one that thinks like this?

By the way, I have seen guinea pig shows. It's pretty cool :D. I've also seen a mice-costume-dress-up show :D. Adorable little outfits. The winner mouse had a wizaard's hat and a cape. :lol: 4H does a lot of those things, and since my barn and I are 4H members, well...

OK, I don't know what happened, but my post got put in twice. And what's weird is that egg's post is right between them. What the heck? Huh? I'm confused... I'm such a computer clutz... :oops:
Anyways, I agree with Egg. Japan is a big pet country. The people know so much about their pets and their products are great. They have doggie bakeries, cafes, and hotels all over the place. Unfortunately, Japan don't have strict laws about the import of animals. In a pet store, besides the usual, there are jelly fish, 1 inch turtles, 3 feet fish, aligator turtles, oopah loopahs (sp?), stag beetles, chipmunks, squirrels, prairie dogs, skunks, ground hogs, shickens, roosters, ravens, raccoons, and even MONKEYS! It makes me sooo sad. :cry: EDUCATION is a must to rid IGNORANCE.

"The earth does not belong to us. We belong to the earth."

This is slightly off topic... but... I have been to a few Chinese restaurants and one in particular I will never go to again, not only because the food wasn't great, but because they had their usual lobster tank (you know, where you can pick out the lobster you want to have for dinner :o ) and it was packed to the brim with cray. They were all piled on top of each other and could barely move. I was too upset to do much except run out of there and have a bit of a cry. :cry: :cry: Eat animals, sure, but house them humanely for chrissakes!!!!

OMG!!I went to a CHinese restaurant in Spain once..and they had this weird disgusting wine...they put lizards inside the wine bottle when they're small and then they just live in there...and when they die, people drink the wine.. :o :x
We have tons of Japanese dog supplies here...but I thought American pet products were better...never thought to buy anything..and I can't even read the packaging! :oops:

Guest Anonymous

I agree, all living creatures should be treated alike!
'cept fruit flies! LOL I HATE them, one just came after me, I went to swat it away, and my hand hit the desk!! Owch! Never did get the stupid thing!! :evilbat:
One time, I came home from my friends house, and found out my parents set my sister's gerbles (sp?) "free" in the old horse pen! I was like 'okay, we live in FORT ST. JAMES! Mine as well be living in igloos out here, and you set a DESERT ANIMAL FREE HERE?!!!!? Also, WE HAVE THREE CATS!!!" God! I then later found my dog carring one of them around, I took it away from him of course, and burried the poor thing, then later found our cat had one! :cry: (by the way, when I say "he" I mean Blue, our old dog... and when I say three cats, thats cuz my sister's cat Angel didn't join us until last year).
One thing that bugs me, is well I know it like "the cycle of life" but when my sister, and Animal lover herself feeds her snake little mice! Since Obsidian (our Rosi Boa) is SPOILD he will only eat live mice, which is really disturbing! The pre. owner fed him these, and we've tried to feed him the frozen ones, but he won't... not even if their dipped in chicken broth!!
But ONE good thing about pets stores, we have found quit a few who will NOT feed live feeder mice for snakes and stuff... that's good to know, bad for my sis, since it's harder for her to find some for Obsidian!

Hey Hazel, that's weird how your snake won't even eat it when it's dipped in chicken broth... Hm... Sometimes snakes only eat it if their prey is moving. Try dangling it on a string. By the way, I saw these Chinese herb medication/drug/alcohol drinks and it had snakes, turtles, and lizards in them. The eyes were taken out so there were holes where the eyes used to be. Talk about gross and sad :cry: . There's this old Japanese cooking where you put catfish and tofu in the same pot. When the water boils, the fish swims into the cool tofu. With time, the tofu boils too, so the fish suffers in the tofu until it gets cooked. then they eat the fish with the tofu :cry: . I've also heard about people my friend knows, who have a pond inntheir back yard. They catch the turtls, tie them to trees, and takes their heads off with an ax. Then they cook them and eat them! :x :evil: :o :cry:
A life is a life, no matter what kind of creature it belongs too! Rggg!!!

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, we tired that... the "snake lady" here in town told her to do that... Obsidian even lashed out at her! We had to go get live ones before he'd settle down!! It's weird how snakes have a mind of their own too... a lot of people don't really think they do, but they SURE DO!
He didn't lash at anyone else, just Kat (my sis) who was feeding him! I was even able to pick him up, and he was good with me! He's NEVER acted like that, he was socialized really well when he was little, he'll even "cuddle" with you when your like watching TV or whatever! :lol:

Egg: that's so sad!

But think about it too... I mean we eat cattle don't we? and Pigs and stuff ('cept the few vegitarians) and these animals are actually raised for our consumption! I find it so sick and wrong, but I can't be a veggitarian; HATE Veggies! LOL