Dogomania

I'M LOOKIN' FOR A PUPPY!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm looking for a pup for a friend who lost his black lab this weekend (hit by a car).

John wants another big dog....preferrably a hunting dog.

No papers needed.

Must be a pup.

None in my area. Any ideas, anyone?

Guest Anonymous

First try the humane societies, since those dogs get PTS sleep if they dont find homes, then try a rescue, then try the news paper(who knows).

Does it have to be purebred? Does he have any breed preference? There are LOTS of hunting breeds.
:black:

Guest Anonymous

I've checked the humane society and they don't have any pups to fit his needs.

No, purebred is NOT an issue.

He wants a big dog, because that's all he's ever had. Never had little ones.

He wants one that could hunt as well.

He wants a puppy. No adults. A pup. So...I'm still looking...

If he is wanting a dog with ability, then he needs to find a good breeder. If he doesn't want to spend the money, then he needs not be obsessed about ability and or age. No papers needed, is not good...you should want a history on a dog that you are wanting to work...you need to know its working abilities. If he is stuck on a puppy...then he needs to be willing to spend the money, and do things right. Remember all these talks about responsible breeding etc..etc...responsible breeders have to charge for their dogs...they have to cover the cost of competition (proving their dogs) health clearances and time..... If he is looking for something, for free...there are PLENTY of golden and or lab mixes at the shelters that could be taught some hunting (maybe)...but if he wants a gurantee on ability...he needs to take his time and do his homework.
Check out this site...she breeds the top perfomance goldens and labs in the US...she has some awsome dogs.

[url]http://www.topbrass-retrievers.com/[/url]

Good Luck

Guest Anonymous

how about: [url]http://www.midwestlabrescue.org/[/url]

or: [url]http://www.hua.org/[/url]

or: [url]http://www.furryfriendsfoundation.com/Adoption/adopt-Frames.htm[/url]

these are all no kill shelters that have a variety of dogs right here in the midwest.

:black:

Guest Anonymous

I don't think he is that stuck on a hunting dog, but it would be a benefit.

Here's what I got.

Last night Hubby told me that Jim died. Was hit by a car.

Today, while at work, I get a call from Hubby that he needs a favor. In the back ground I hear Jon yelling "FIND ME A DOG". Oh...very casual work place...body shop..

So the criteria is a BIG dog, mixed breed is fine, not a lot of furry fluffy stuff, shelter pups are good.

As soon as I hang up, Hubby calls back, hunting would be nice too.

So, Jon wants a companion, but hunting would be **and extra nice thing**...bonus....

Jon misses coming home to Jim.

Gigi -- shame he is stuck on a "pup". I know where an awsome German Short Hair pointer is. She is showing lots of ability and is young (under a year).

Poofy, sorry, but have to disagree with you. There are many, many hunting dogs that aren't registered that are way better hunters than the AKC registered ones. AND with less health problems.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Hobbit']Gigi -- shame he is stuck on a "pup". I know where an awsome German Short Hair pointer is. She is showing lots of ability and is young (under a year).

Poofy, sorry, but have to disagree with you. There are many, many hunting dogs that aren't registered that are way better hunters than the AKC registered ones. AND with less health problems.[/quote]

Really? My dad use to raise Short Hairs (but we wont go there.... :roll: both died from weather related issues...outside dogs only.)....

PM me with the info, will ya? And if she's under a year......hmmm. I'll ask!

Gigi - What general area would Jon be willing to go pick a dog up from?
I agree - shelter dog will probably be fine, all of our dogs except one were from the shelter and true there is no gaurentee the dog won't be gunshy etc but all of our shelter dogs were game to at least try anything that might make us happy.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='DogPaddle']Gigi - What general area would Jon be willing to go pick a dog up from?
I agree - shelter dog will probably be fine, all of our dogs except one were from the shelter and true there is no gaurentee the dog won't be gunshy etc but all of our shelter dogs were game to at least try anything that might make us happy.[/quote]

Well, not sure since Jon is with out a license right now (DWI).....I know his parents would take him, or we would as well.

I called our Humane Society and they have 3 shepard/malamute male pups. Might be too furry for him though. I'm still looking! :D

Maybe I'll tell hubby to bring him over tonight. He wont have to go home to take care of Jim tonight. :cry:

Jon is in Anamosa Iowa. We are in Cedar Rapids Iowa....

Guest Anonymous

OH!

Now, I am not gonna show this to Jon cuz I don't think this mix is right for him, but isn't he CUTE???
[img]http://www.petfinder.org/fotos/IA36.1362896.jpg[/img]

OK here are some, sorry this will be long.
If you go to [url]www.petfinder.com[/url] and enter info for your state etc you can see pictures too, for some of them.
Some of them might be too far away for you and/or Jon but maybe not?

Oliver
Dog
German Shepherd Dog,Labrador Retriever Mix
Size: Large
Sex: Male
I.D:
Notes: Oliver and Leo are brothers, both neutered and have current shots, 8 months old, 50#. Great farm dogs, good with people, currently free-running. Are ok with cats, but do sometimes chase rabbits and small animals. Command trained, happy, healthy, playful, very intelligent, great swimmers, wonderful water dogs. Oliver has a black short coat and looks somewhat lab/rott with brown rott markings.

This pet is: up to date with routine shots, altered
Animal Protection League
Burlington, IA
(319)753-0401
[email][email protected][/email]

and

Cody
Dog
Labrador Retriever
I.D:
Notes: This little guy just turned six months old. Is housebroke....... (Black Lab) Loves to play with people and kids, other dogs he is ready to have a romp around the yard. Will be neutered and UTD on shots this next week. CONTACT: Peggy 319-234-1212

This pet is: already house trained
Pet Resource Network
Evansdale, IA

and

Emerson
Dog
Labrador Retriever mix
I.D: 12693
Notes: Color: Black. Very sweet, gentle boy. He is a little shy but relaxes once he gets to know you. Recommend training to help build his confidence. Loves tennis balls. Click here for more pictures and information.

This pet is: altered
Iowa City/Coralville Animal Care and Adoption Center
Iowa City, IA
(319) 356-5295

and

Blackie1
Dog
Labrador Retriever
Sex: Female
I.D: Blackie1
Notes: Blackie one is one of three puppies brought in to the local pound. She is a very sweet puppy. They all are. She is looking for a new home with some one to love her. If you would like more information on her please call 319-385-8034
Henry County Animal Rescue Organization

and

Blackie3
Dog
Labrador Retriever
I.D: Blackie3
Notes: She is a black lab puppy that was brought in to the local pound and need to find a new loving home. She is sweet and would love to have someone to play with Her and her sisters are all black. If you would like more information on her please call 319-385-8034
Henry County Animal Rescue Organization
Mt. Pleasant, IA
319-385-9066

and

Sarah
Dog
Black Labrador Retriever Mix
I.D:
Notes: Sarah is indeed a beautiful black baby with eyes that sparkle and a disposition that also sparkles. Her mama was a black lab and the daddy is probably the terrier down the road, but no one is quite sure! We do know that Sarah is a real sweetheart that loves to be with people. To know her is to love her. She would make a great companion animal for anyone!
TLC Animal Shelter Canine Center
Newell, IA
We cannot return long dis

and

Dolly-sweet!
Dog
Golden Retriever Mix
I.D:
Notes: I'm a typical Golden, beautiful, rather shy at first but warm up and quite loving. I need a home that has room for me in their home, I will get approx 50lbs, I need obedience training and lot's of love. If you can offer me that for many years to come, I'm yours! I'm approx 12 weeks old. Out of state. Contact [email][email protected][/email]
Cedar Bend Humane Society
Waterloo, IA
319-232-6887

and

Black and white!
Dog
Labrador Retriever Mix
Sex:
I.D:
Notes: These puppies are adorable, very unique black and white markings, super personalities. Just rolly/polly loves! Approx 10 weeks, look like they will be approx 40-60lbs, they need LIFETIME, (10-15 years) LOVING indoor homes, and be trained to be good canine citizens, super, unique looking pups. 2 females and 1
Cedar Bend Humane Society
Waterloo, IA
[url]http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/IA36.html[/url]

I think this guy is very cute.

Guest Anonymous

:lol:

I've already got these on a list! How funny! Sorry to duplicate effort!

Oh, and Jon has a 3 yr old daughter he gets visitation with every other weekend....just a side note.

I'm gonna call him in about 45 minutes...see what he says....

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='DogPaddle']No problem, looking at puppies is not a chore :D . Good luck to you and Jon.[/quote]

OH I KNOW! I'm totally into this....I've got two pages full...waiting till his boss goes to lunch so I can call him....

I'll let you all know what happens!

Guest Anonymous

Oh Jim, Jim, Jim. Jim will get out, somehow (not sure how, I'll have to ask) and roam. He would run from his house in the country to Jon's parent's house in town. Jon's parents love(d) him as well.

When Jon is home, Jim would NOT leave the property (no fence). Jim was always outside with Jon or inside with Jon. When Jon was NOT home, Jim stayed in the garage.

Jim was never altered. :roll:

Jim had been hit before by a van...got up and walked home no problems. :o

Jim was accidently shot with a shot gun...got up no problems. :o

Jim was one BIG lab. Not fat, very skinny actually. He looked almost as if he didn't get fed enough...but Jon has two lots for his home and Jim got a LOT of exercise. Jim was very TALL.

Jim was a sweetie and I'm very sad he is gone.

I don't agree with some of Jon's ways of life....Why was Jim always getting out? Why wasn't Jim neutered? BUT...I know that Jon did take care of him and loved him very much. Just didn't keep him home enough!

I'm hoping a lesson (sad one at that) was learned.

I'll find out from Hubby how Jim always got out.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Poofy']I hate to say it...i will probably get flamed...but i woudn't trust that man with a pet rock.[/quote]

:lol:

Yes, I understand your concern. No flamming here.

I don't know Jon as well as my husband does. He works with him every day. I've only met him a few times, but the times I did meet him, Jim was by his side the whole time.

I have to trust my husband's judgement on this. And he feels the same way I do about dogs. They are our children.

SOO.....actually, Poofy, I have been waiting for SOMEONE to say something.

One of the reasons a shelter pup is better, is that it will be altered before he gets it.

Also, understand that when Jon moved out of his parents home, Jim was heartbroken in a sense, missing them. I'm sure that's why he ran to see them all the time.

No flames.

I just need to find out HOW Jim got out all the time.....

This one sounds good!

[img]http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/IA27.1315928.jpg[/img]
Puppies
Dog
Labrador Retriever Mix

Size: Medium
I.D:

Notes: The picture shows just one but there are two puppies, two males. They are about 5 months old and have been wormed and vaccinated. Revision: 1-19-03 We have just one male puppy left from this litter.

Guest Anonymous

:D

These are on my list for him to look at!

The only problem I see...is that Jim was a black lab. Not sure if he wants another black one....reminders?