Dogomania

Swimming

DogPaddle

Anyone got any tricks to help me encourage Kavik that bouyancy is not a bad thing. He will wade but not swim, loves to retrieve items from the water and will actually put things in the water himself so he can retrieve them but will not swim for them. We have tried going out into the water passed where he will wade and calling to him but he just cries on shore and makes me feel like I am a cruel momma.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone!
I have exactly the same problem with Kodi, he'll paddle up to the top of his legs and then he'll panic and leap out. He goes in after swans, which I don't want because I'm sure the swan would do more damage to him than he could to them!! :evil: evil swans!
He's never been right in though, I want him to because being a husky he'll get hot in the summer, and it'll be nice for him to have a way to cool off.
Someone told me to try going in the water with him.... :o , I don't think they came from ENGLAND, where the water is about -20 degrees!!!!!
Yike tooo cold...maybe I'll brave it when it warms up a bit...or when I move to Austrailia! But then sharks! NOOOO!!!

If you can, I would swim with your dog some and possibly by a cheap life jacket to use for a couple trips. Many times dogs will freak out and their back ends will sink until they understand that they can swim.

You may also want to take your dog to a place that has a lot of dogs swimming and maybe he will learn from watching and following. Dogs hate being the one left out

:wink: :D

My IG thinks she can swim, she has no body fat to keep her afloat but she tries with all her might. On the other hand, Sally and Rocco sail like canoes, love every bit of it.

Sally has always followed me whereever I go, regardless.
Rocco wouldn't get in the water until a friend of mine walked out to where it was just above his head and let him go. I was standing right beside him and he was so glad to see me, now I wish I could keep him on the beach when I decide to float on a raft.

:angel: