Dogomania

Sandyb

TLCPETS

New year new priorities,
I really know you are good with genetics.But it does take time and understanding.As you know my breed is Chihuahuas and I love blues.
I have come to think the color. Alopecia is coming from the breeding of Fawn
to blues and blue to blue.I think the link in blue Alopecia in Chihuahuas stems from the dilute to dilute breedings.The blues really got big after the Fawns(taco bell dog)I know you are a schnauzer breeder but
know genetics pretty well.If I breed black and white and blue together can I still get my blues without having to worry years down the road about Alopecia.Ther must be a way and I do love the blue coloring.It seems like the darker the blue the better the hair coat and the lighter the blue the thinner the coat.There is a way, if No-one can find a link between fawn (dilute) and blue (dilute) being what causes Alopecia I will stick with Blk/Wht.I really want to get a healthy blue going but will not jeopardize health over color.

Guest Anonymous

UM TLC? So? Why are you making this thread? What is your point? to impress me? If you truly want to learn, read books, meet mentors that have experience raising quality animals in your chosen breed. I have told you this umpteen times and you seem to refuse to listen. have you bought the books i've recommended? Have you met people that breed consistently top examples of your breed?

Guest Anonymous

First of all, I do not know color genetics all that well. I don't have to. My breed only has 3 allowable colors. And anything else goes back to crossbreeds. What I do know about dilutes is yes they can be susceptible to alopecia. And there are blues that are not dilute. There is a fading gene also. Have you read the book the Inheritance of Coat Colors in dogs or websites based on that book?

[quote name='Jacsmom'][url]http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/1495/disorders.html[/url]

Here are disorders in Chi's
There is a page 2.[/quote]

Thanks Jacsmom.There are lots of places on the net with good info.I have lots of them bookmarked and read alot.I still get links I have never found.

[quote name='sandyb']First of all, I do not know color genetics all that well. [b]And there are blues that are not dilute. [/b]There is a fading gene also. Have you read the book the Inheritance of Coat Colors in dogs or websites based on that book?[/quote]

Blue color [b]is [/b]the result of a dilution gene. [b]All[/b] blue color......

[quote name='Poofy']Hobbit, the Kerry blue is due to the G series, not dilute series... it all depends on your percetion of "blue".[/quote]

That is a greying gene found in the Kerry Blue Terrier. Since the conversation centered around "blue" Chihuahua's, not one that is born black and gets greyer with age, the comment about blue's not being dilute could be perceived as false (because she also mentioned the greying gene).

So, again...(true) blue is always a dilution of black. All colors of blue.

[quote name='Poofy']Yes, your right, true "blue" is dilution of color..the trick though would be trying to help some one understand the difference so that the genetics could be worked out...[/quote]

Yes but 2 blues and a black in a litter from a blue and a brown sable makes it hard.And then three blues from a blk/wht female and a blue male all the puppies are from light to dark blue makes it harder.You can tell by looking at littermates the darker the blue is the better the hair coat.

[quote name='TLCPETS'][quote name='Poofy']Yes, your right, true "blue" is dilution of color..the trick though would be trying to help some one understand the difference so that the genetics could be worked out...[/quote]

Yes but 2 blues and a black in a litter from a blue and a brown sable makes it hard.And then three blues from a blk/wht female and a blue male all the puppies are from light to dark blue makes it harder.You can tell by looking at littermates the darker the blue is the better the hair coat.[/quote]

There is nothing hard about it, at all. We've went over the blk/whi to blue mating and why there were blue puppies.