Dogomania

Show breeders

Guest roo

Tricky question Roo
I think the majority of show breeders are very sensible dog loving people and only breed when they want something to show or to continue their bloodlines.
Of course there is always the odd rogue breeder who breeds purely for profit but of course you get bad apples in all walks of life.
Ickle

Guest Anonymous

some show breeders breed commercially but they are usually the exception, at least in my breed. They are a very small minority. And show does not equal responsible. Some are in it for the ego only and wont disclose genetic problems. But they those that are in it for the money also wont disclose genetic problems. i just heard of a lawsuit against a show/commercial breeder that would not honor her health warranty and wouldn't give the person the money. well they took her to court and won. Good I say :). Most, in my breed, are in it for the welfare of the breed and not to make a buck. They are knowledgeable in genetics and doing genetic pedigrees, they work with a university when they come up with problems. We have had a few things come up in my breed. the breeders didn't sweep it under the rug, they started working with University vets to do research to find DNA tests and to do test breedings.

[b]Some [/b]of the show breeders that I am familar with do not care if their dogs are carriers or affected with PRA, as long as the dog can show and win --- that is all they care about. I continually hear, "yeah, he's a carrier, but he's a champion so we're going to breed him (over and over)".

They are not knowledgable in genetics, using what knowledgable they have gained from listening to other breeders with their same mentality.

They are in it for the money, prestige and name and care nothing for the dog ---- just so that he wins in the ring.

The very few ethical show breeders that I have met, it was all about the dog and his health, instead of always winning.

There are good ones and bad ones.

I think show breeders really come in 3 classes. You have level one, who is usually a family or some one who shows and breeds for fun. Enjoys the dogs, does what they can to do things right. Some have lots of money to finish a dog...some don't...enjoyment is their goal.
The second level is more serious, the breeder owner, the exhibitor. This is where, in my opinion, that politics begin to set in and can transform a breeder/exhibotor from type 2 to type 3.
The third is all about ego and politics. You have those who are and wanna be. Those who are will claw their way up on the backs of their peers. Competition is fierce, and there is no holds bar on how to get that win. Some have money, some don't and get it however they can. These people cheat others out of co-ownerships, puppies, stud fees etc...its viscious.

[quote name='Poofy']I think show breeders really come in 3 classes. You have level one, who is usually a family or some one who shows and breeds for fun. Enjoys the dogs, does what they can to do things right. Some have lots of money to finish a dog...some don't...enjoyment is their goal.
The second level is more serious, the breeder owner, the exhibitor. This is where, in my opinion, that politics begin to set in and can transform a breeder/exhibotor from type 2 to type 3.
The third is all about ego and politics. You have those who are and wanna be. Those who are will claw their way up on the backs of their peers. Competition is fierce, and there is no holds bar on how to get that win. Some have money, some don't and get it however they can. These people cheat others out of co-ownerships, puppies, stud fees etc...its viscious.[/quote]

Yep, I agree with every word you've said. I would only add that the type 3 breeder also doesn't care about health issues. They will breed to what they think will give them a winning dog and if it means long term health problems or a shorter life for the dog they really don't care. :(

Guest Anonymous

I agree. I would add that many of these people will hump the leg of anyone that might take them to the top. The other issue is the show breeder that is out to create numbers of Champions. They want to be in the Hall of Fame category. I refer to this as Hall of Shame. They keep their name on every dog sold in case it becomes a Champion. They insist the dog be bred regardless of quality. Many have 50 to 75 Champs to their credit and want more. It is all about numbers to them. They are show millers but justify their actions by saying they health test and sell pets limited or without papers, only keeping the best.

Not everyone with a large number of champions is like that. The breeder I got Kato from has finished 80 AKC champions and I would put her breeding practices up against any of the best (although she didn't breed all those dogs herself.) She knows where all of them are too.