Dogomania

jack russel american eskimo mix

adrienne

I have a very smart and adorable 4 month old jack russel eskimo mix, and he's quite a handful. I have yet to find anyone else with the same mix of dog.... I'd really appreciate it if I could talk to someone who has one or knows of one to find out what it's like, and what it looks like. I also have a new shi-poo, everyone thinks ,my roomate and i are nuts to have two puppies, but they get along so well, she's 2 months and 3 lbs., meanwhile billy is getting to be 13 -14 lbs... anyhow, please let me know.... thanks. I'm also having a bit of tr0ouble with training them, but that's a whole other topic. :roll:

Ok, well I got Billy from the shelter, we rescued him. It's pretty funny actually, I wanted to get a small breed dog, like a shih-tsu ot something. I called ahead and they told me that they had a lhasa and i could come get it. I drove far to get there, once I did, they said that the lhasa was in quarantine and not ready to get taken home. So, we were disapointed and went to look at the others. That's when I saw him... he was so tiny then, like 6 lbs, only 2 mts. old. I wanted him right away and then we took him home. Since then, we've had 4 trainers.. he's so smart, house trained (he scratches or sits at the door when he's ready to go out) and he can sit, stay, come and lay down. But the only thing is that he growls (only at my roomate and I) whenever we go to pick him up or put his leash on. That's why we hired trainers. None of them helped us at all. We got Molly a month ago from a breeder, she's a shi-poo, 10 wks. old and she's much harder to house train. She also wakes up several time throughout the night to go to the bathroom. BTW, we're crate training them. So do you have any idea what to do about the growling? I don't think he's aggressive, he might be a little dominant, but he's friendly with everyone and always lays on his back with us and other dogs... :roll:

I'm not sure if they were a breeder... I decided to get another dog, called around to all the shelters looking for a small breed puppy, couldn't find any. So I looked in the paper, and I saw some ads for puppies. I didn't want to go to a pet store, but I found an ad for shi-poos (there were a bunch of ads for mutts ) ans some of them i called said that they bred shi-poos, malti-poos, shnoodles, every mix of small breed puppies you could think of. I found one that sounded good, drove all the way to Guelph (from Toronto, ont., Canada) and it was on a farm. The couple said that they always get their pups from the same breeder. So, i don't know. They sell puppies once in a while, they aren't a pet store and there was just one litter. Does that sound really weird? Molly was in perfect health and hasn't had any problems; and the place was really clean.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]The couple said that they always get their pups from the same breeder[/quote]

I'm a little unsure about this.....do you mean they are selling pups that someone else bred?

Trinity

I could be wrong but it sort of sounds like the people you bought from are selling puppies for a puppy mill. Puppy mills are not pretty places so they sometimes send puppies that are ready to go somewhere more aesthetically(sp?) pleasing and less morally objectionable.
I wonder - is there a way to find more info. I live in SW Ontario and definately would want to do something about any mill near here.

I really don't think that Molly was from a puppy mill. The couple was really nice, she offered me the # of the breeder when I called them with a question once... I never called, but their place was so clean. However, I have had an experience with a puppy mill before and it was awful. Before Molly I was looking for a 2nd puppy in the paper, (just like how I got her later) but the people I phoned sounded ok, and they said that they had a couple litters to choose from. I didn't think anything of it, as the whole process of buying a dog is fairly new to me. I went out to Pickering to see them, and it looked like a pet store. I was discouraged, but they had told me that they were breeders. So, I went inside and it was awful. It was filthy, puppis rolling in their own mess, and it smelled so bad. I decided that I had to save one. Anyhow, I ended up sneaking into the back to investigate, and I found a room where there were 3 boxes of all different breeds of puppies, none could have been older than a couple weeks. There was also no mothers anywhere. The owner saw me back there and just told me that those ones weren't ready yet. So, long story short I ended up buying one and took her to the vet. She had lice, parasites, and they thought she was anemic. I reported the place to the animal services in my area and they said it was out of their jurisdiction and I got the run around from every different # they gave me. I couldn't keep that pup (Daisy) in the end, and I feel terrible about it but she just had too many problems and she cried and barked 24/7, I didn't sleep for a week but I found her a great home with someone that was retired and could devote their lives to working with her and taking care of her. I still feel guilty, but i did give her to a real nice lady and I still get to visit her when I want.

Guest Anonymous

Adrienne, you most likely bought from people who buy from brokers and the no. they gave you to call was most likely not a so called breeder but the broker. Millers, brokers and byb's can appear to be the nicest people you've ever met and are not what they seem. Anyone who deliberately breeds 2 mixed breeds or 2 dogs of different breeds are irresponsible and are only in it for the money. and what you wound up with is simply that a mix. That being said, please don't ever do it again.

As to the problems w/your JRT/eskimo mix, he was and is much too young for a trainer. A few from now, you should enter him in a puppy obedience class, but I would not recommend one offered at pet stores. If the problem persists, and if it really is a problem, you should contact a animal behaviorist. some trainers can create problems.

Guest Anonymous

Reputable breeders NEVER give their puppies to someone else to sell, and of course I firmly feel that reputable breeders don't mix breeds (although I am sure others might argue this point)--this is just for future reference since you already have the pup and recriminations will not help now. As to the training of your 4 month old pup....I personally start all mine in puppy classes (mostly for socialization since I do my own training) once they have all their shots.

Trinity

I feel pretty stupid for contributing to anything to do with a puppy mill. I hope they weren't. Welll, thanks for enlightening me, and I'll definitely consult you guys if and when I ever want a third. But that'll obviously be after mine are much older and we can handle a new one. I paid $500 for Molly. Is that too low? This is all so new to me. As far as pics, right now I'm getting some rolls developed of Molly, which I'll have by Saturday, but I do have a couple of Billy (my Jack Russel/Eskimo). How can I show you guys? I guess I can try to put it in my avatar.... I'll try that now.

So, here's my baby. :P He's grown so much since this pic. This was taken about 2 mts. ago (he was 2 mts. old), and we had just bought him the harness that he's wearing. It was way too big, and we had it on the smallest setting. I just tried the same one on him yesterday on the largest it would go, and it was way to small! My little baby's growing up. :cry: I'll put one up of Molly when I get them. Oh, by the way... When I got Billy he was 6 lbs., now he's 13-14 lbs. How big do you think he'll get?

I would have loved to find one in a shelter... but I searched every one and found none of what I was looking for. As well, everyone that I called that sold shi-poos... quoted $400-$600. At pet stores they have mixed breeds (shi-poos and even shi-pom-poos), some have 4 breeds mixed in them, and they go for $900-$1000. Where should I have looked to find one cheaper, other than the shelter? BTW, every shelter I called said that they hardly ever have small breed puppies.

Guest Anonymous

I'm curious as to why you wanted a mixed breed in the first place? I mean it seems you went to quite a lot of trouble to find this particular type of mixed breed.

Later,
Trinity

Maybe you got the wrong idea.. I wasn't looking for a shi-poo. I was looking for a small breed puppy (whichever) that was affordable. I called every shelter and asked them for a small breed puppy, not a shi-poo. I also called every ad in the paper for small puppies and asked the price. A purebred shih-tsu would have been great.. but my price limit was $500, because of the money i had spent a week earlier (about $550) on another puppy I saved from a puppy mill. Anyhow, I talked to a few for $500 and up and the one I liked was Molly, who I have now and am very happy with. By the way, I am new at buying and finding a dog of my own, but my family always had dogs. So I wasn't going into this totally blind. I grew up with a great portuguese water dog named Marley and a mutt (I think maybe a collie/sheepdog mix?) named Sunny Boy.

Although you're not offending me and you have all given me some good advice.... I'm almost wishing I had lied and said that Molly was a shih-tsu. Either way, no one has really answered my original question.. has anyone evr seen or heard of another jack russel eskimo mix?I just want to know how their temperment was, and maybe what they looked like. Billy really has a growling problem and I don't know if it's the breeds... or if he has a behaviour problem. He's usually very sweet, but it's getting worse. It used to be when I picked him up or put his leash/jacket on. Now when i walk him he bites and tugs on the leash while growling at me. :evil: It's embarassing when people see... especially when I've told them that he's very friendly and 'sure they can pet him, he won't bite'. Is this normal?

You're right... we do take him out a lot.... but not for many long walks.. since the weather has chenged, we haven't taken him on more than one big walk a day... Also he barks now at noises and he never did before... would that have something to do with it? Maybe he's bored or something... I just hope that the growling doesn't mean he's going to get more aggressive as he gets older...

Guest Anonymous

I'm sorry if I said anything that made you feel bad....much of it was kinda FYI for if you ever buy another dog.

Anyway--have you taken him to any puppy kinder classes? And I really agree.....both are high energy breeds that need lots of exercise and direction

Trinity

Does your apartment have a long hallway? Jacks are very high intensity dogs and a walk might not cut it I don't know. He may need to run. My mom has a long hallway just off the living room, her chair has a clear view of the hallway. She constantly tosses a ball or small dog toy down the hall for her shih-tsu Abby. Abby chases, runs back with it, hops up on her foot stool and drops it, my mom throws it again and Abby launches herself off the footstool. Again and again and again . . . Abby likes it and it wears her out. Continue with the walks. Make up your own indoor games and/or look into agility clubs maybe.
If the problem is excercise this may help.

Billy loves to play fetch, but he hates giving me back the ball. His version is for me to chase him and try to grab the toy/ball from his mouth and then throw it. I've tried ignoring him, but if I do that then he'll lose interest in the toy and try to take Molly's..... or start barking. :angel:

If he won't bring the toy back, put him on a leash. Get a long Flexi leash and throw the toy. When he gets it, reel him in. He CAN"T run if he is leashed. And NEVER chase him to get the toy back. Once he figures out the idea that fetch means get the toy and bring it back to you, you should be able to remove the leash. If you throw the toy and he gets it, what would happen if you then showed him another toy? Whould he come back to you then?

Usually what happens is I'll throw the toy, he'll go get it and then try to get me to grab it. He'll run back and forth and around me. But today I tried just putting out my hand and waiting for him to drop it. It took a while, but I think he's starting to get it. He won't put it in my lap or hand, but a few times he'd drop it somewhere close to me. It was great! It's such a good feeling when I finally get through to him. I can't wait until that happens with Molly. When we first got her, she was always peeing in her crate. Then we sectioned it off with cardboard so there wasn't any room for her to make a washroom. It took us a while, but finally she started to hold it and wait for me to take her out. But, for the past few days it's like she regressed. Yesterday morning there was pee in her crate when I took her out; then today I went out for a couple hours and when I came back it was the same thing.