Dogomania

Wolf Hybrids

wildbunch

In my personal opinion this practice should also be stricken. People actually believe that they are getting a family pet and as we all know wolfs are not to be tamed and used for backyard decoration or defense.
It upsets me that people don't do the research on them and just think it would be "cool" to have a wolfdog. Like a car. UGH!
What brought this on was a chance encounter with a woman who met Willow (my mal) and thought he was a wolfdog. Come on he looks nothing like a wolf. Willow is stocky, shorter muzzle, etc.... I know I shouldn't blame the uneducated people who can't tell one breed from another. Anyways back to the story. The woman was all over Willow and asking me questions. I explained to her that he is infact an Alaskan Malamute. She then went into telling me that she was going to purchase a 50-98% wolf hybrid. I asked her why she wanted to purchase that particular type of animal and she said well I love wolves, I watch all the documentaries and I want to give one a good home.
I was fuming and explained the rational of what she had just told me. I asked her why not donate to the wolf rescue organizations. But I was not listened to from that point on and I left.
Anyone else dealt with someone like this?
Look at the links I found on wolf hybrids: [url]http://www.pets4you.com/wolf.html[/url]
[url]http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Bluffs/5794/[/url]

Plus many, many more.
Would love other opinions on the topic. Bad or Good.

Guest Anonymous

If a wolf mixes with a domestic dog it is not called a Hybrid. It is just a mix. a Hybrid is the result of two different species having babies. Wolf dogs are mixes. Also, sometimes it can't be prevented. And all dogs have a wolf background in case that passed you by, especially Spitz breeds.

Guest Anonymous

People who are experienced, VERY experienced may have no problem owning a Wolf mix. Sarlooswolfhounds were created to improve canine structure. Sometimes Wolfmixes can't be prevented, if a stray gets mated with a wolf and it is not fixed, there is nothing we can do about it. I own a Malamute as well and people always tell me how wolf-like she is. It is in the blood.

Oh dear, I thought that wolfdog business was mostly urban legend.
When we took Tir from the people who had him tied to their back door (now refered to as the bad people) they tried to tell us he was half King Shepherd half Malamute/Wolf cross. We promptly dismissed that as being "my dog is big and mean" talk, especially given the circumstances we were taking poor Tir out of.
He looks just like that dog from that tv show The Littlest Hobo only with bigger ankles and that dog was a GSD.
Any one here have any first hand experience or reliable info on these crosses? I ask because Tir is a foster dog and we are at least in part responsible for deciding what forever home he goes too.

Guest Anonymous

Yes, I owned a dog that was 25% Wolf once and she was just fine around my children. No problems, not even with her old age. She lived to be 10 years and those years were some of the best in my life. I don't reccomend people go out and by Wolf mixes as just a fashion thing or because they THINK they can handle them though.

Guest Anonymous

Personally I agree with wildbunch... I know there are probably some very good wolf mixes out there, but still. Most people who actually breed these are DEFINITLY not reputable breeders. Where'd they get a wolf anyway??? I mean, if you got a 98% wolf mix, thats basically owning a wolf. Right? I don't really know much about them, and this is just based on what I've heard and what little I do know, but it seems to me that, if you get a wolf mix, you're basically getting either a wolf with no fear of humans, very intelligent, and a VERY strong prey drive(which is pretty much why you hear all the terrifying stories about the wolf mixes killing the little children. They're thinking, hey, that looks like something good to eat. It's small and runngin away from me. Looks like prey to me!). Or, you could get a major fear-biter. And I DO understand that all dogs descended from wolves, BUT dogs are domesticated animals who's genetics have been altered over the many many many years to stay "puppyish" and be geared toward people. A wolf is NOT domesticated and should not be kept as pets. The only way someone should own a wolf or wolf mix is if they own the sanctuary where they are being kept and know what they're doing. That's just my opinion, though. :)

Wolfie,

I am not dimwitted, I am perfectly aware that all dogs descended from the mighty wolf. I am just upset that people keeping breeding wolfdogs for pets. Have you been to a refuge? I have and it's just not fair. A wonderful animal now forced to live in a wire run for the rest of it's days. One particular white wolfdog comes to mind from the sanctuary. She was purchased from a wolfdog breeder and taken to her new home in the suburbs. She was showing some human fear tendancies even at a young age. The family ignored it and kept on with their normal happy suburbian lifestyle. This poor animal went through several owners. Finally she was found by an exotic pet sanctuary and she was taken there.
She lives there in comfort. But, she is still not happy nor will she ever be happy as she doesn't know where she belongs. Not dog, Not wolf. Lost!
She paces her run all day long and howls at night. The sanctuary is a wonderful place where abandoned tigers, bears, lions, wolves and other exotics have ended up.
[b]The following report was compiled by the Michigan Wolf Dog Rescue and Animal Sanctuary and information furnished by several different sources, including, but not limited to: Dorothy Prendergast author of two books regarding wolf dogs, editor and publisher of the Wolf Hybrid Times and Executive Director of the Wildlife Education and Research Foundation; Diana Bendit, Director, Wolf Dog Coalition; Michigan Association of Animal Owners; Wolf Hybrid Awareness Through Education; Michigan Wolf Dog Association; Michigan Wolf Dog Rescue and Animal Sanctuary; Wolf Park (North American Wildlife Park Foundation); CDC (Centers for Disease Control) , Atlanta; the United Kennel Club, and the Michigan Association of Purebred Dogs.
The following information was compiled in order to provide accurate information concerning wolf dogs. The information provided by the HSUS is incomplete, often misleading and in some cases totally erroneous.
The information provided by the HSUS is printed first in plain text (with their question in large type), and the clarification following below in [italic] typeface.

1. What is a wolf hybrid?
A wolf Hybrid is any animal resulting from the breeding of wolf with domestic dog. The most common wolf-dog hybrids result from breeding wolves with malamutes, Siberian Huskies or German Shepherds, but many breeds of dogs have been crossed with wolves, including collies, standard poodles, rottweilers and pit bulls. Hybrids can be bred to other hybrids, pure dogs, or pure wolves, to produce offspring whose genetic contribution from wolves will vary greatly.

First of all, the correct terminology is wolf dog, not wolf hybrid. By definition, any hybrid is infertile. Since wolves and dogs are genetically identical and are the same species, their offspring are fertile. Second, a wolf dog is any canine which has a recent infusion of wolf blood in its ancestry. Very, very few wolf dogs are the direct progeny of a wolf and a domesticated canine, and very, very few have pure wolf ancestry any more recent than their great grandparents or great- great grandparents. Most wolf dogs are the progeny of wolf dogs bred to other wolf dogs or to dogs, and their pure wolf ancestry is many generations removed.
While it is true that some irresponsible breeders have experimented with breeding other less similar breeds of dogs, the dog breeds of choice are Malamutes, Alaskan Huskies, Canadian Huskies and German Shepherds. It is also true that irresponsible breeders exist within EVERY breed. Only through education can careless and negligent breeding be stopped. [/b]

Wolf dog, Wolf Hybrid, Wolf Mix. Call it what you will but they are one in the same. It's just terminology.

Guest Anonymous

although I may smelleth a troll, I'll forge ahead. I've have benn an active dogsledder for more than 25 years and have had Siberians (Pretty, but destroyed by breeders who breed only for looks and not the working ability) Malamutes, (Great sled dogs, but too large for competition. Lost in the wilderness? pick Mals. Win races? Pick Alaskans) And of course Alaskans. I've spent those 25 years trying to convince people that although many Alaskans have wolf blood a bit closer to the surface than most dogs, they are in fact dogs, and not wolf crosses. No musher who cares about the sport or the dogs that participate in it would knowingly add wolf to the mix. I agree with a previous poster that wolves are wild creatures and deserve to be left so. The assumption that wolves mating with stray dogs are where alot of wolf crosses come from is pure rubbish. If you live in an area where there are wild wolves, you'de know that wolves usually kill and eat domestic dogs, even females in heat. They rarely mate with them and allow them to go on their merry way. (sorry for the graphic description, but it's the truth.

IMO, people that breed wolves with dogs are MORONS! :x Dogs and wolves do not breed naturally. Wolves KILL dogs. Wolves are WILD animals and should be left alone! There are enough breeds of dogs out there (Including mixed breeds) that anyone that wants a dog can find a suitable match, without having to add wolf dogs to the mix. IMO breeding wolves to dogs should be against the law, and the ones that do it should be fined and or spend time in the slammer!
I'm sure I will make some enemies with my thoughts on this matter, But... Oh well!

[quote name='Pumpkin the Musher']although I may smelleth a troll, I'll forge ahead.[/quote]

Pumpkin, you have a very good nose :lol:
we do have another troll in our midst. eth :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Wolves are definately not safe in the wild these days. People are killing them still around here where i live. Do you really want to release a Wolf that has never been into the wild? It probably wouldn't survive long because of human interaction. Even the slightest human interaction can hurt the Wolves natural instincts. Wildbunch, I never said you were dimwitted,no reason to get defensive.

Now there I do agree. A domesticed animal (by breeding or by nature) should NEVER be released to fend for itself. This is why the breeding must stop. There are only so many sanctuaries available. And as you can see in the story below sometimes the sanctuaries can do nothing for an animal that has the instincts and strength of a wolf. See story:
[url]http://www.nctimes.net/news/2002/20020413/63902.html[/url]
The legal issues involved:
[url]http://www.nal.usda.gov/awic/newsletters/v5n4/5n4wille.htm#toc7[/url]
Did you know that a shelter or rescue won't give a wolfdog a chance, they hold them for the required time and euthanize them. They will not place them in a home. And a wolfdog that has been given the rabies vaccine is not considered vaccinated. It will be put down if it bites.
Not to mention these animals are banned from many states. You even breath the word wolf and you'll have animal control all over you.
This is one subject that I feel very strongly about. I truly believe a wild animal needs to remain wild and free, not captured and domesticated.

Just found this interesting information:
Keeping a Hybrid

[b]Minimum Requirements for keeping a wolf or hybrid safely and humanely in captivity:

1. Build an enclosure surrounded by two layers of fencing: an inner chain link fence ten feet high that extends two feet underground, and an outer fence eight feet high with at least four feet between the two fences. The outer fence should be posted with warning signs, and the gate should be locked at all times.
2. Provide at least 1/2 acre for each animal, and fill it with plenty of environmental stimulation: shelters, vegetation, platforms, large water containers, etc.
3. Keep at least two animals per enclosure. Canines-especially wolves and hybrids-are very social animals and need canine companionship. For the greatest assurance of lifetime compatibility, the animals should be of the opposite sex and introduced as young as possible, preferably before they are six months old.
4. Provide meat, hide and bones on a regular basis. Debilitating diarrhea may result from feeding wolves and hybrids only commercial dog food.
5. Obtain the knowledge necessary to handle wolves and hybrids. Learn about special techniques for raising and socializing them. Without an understanding of these techniques, you may end up with an unmanageable animal. Wolf Park, Battle Ground, IN (765-567-2265) regularly conducts seminars on the subject.
6. Make sure at least one other person is trained and familiar with the animals, to provide relief-care in emergencies. 7. Retain a veterinarian experienced with wolves or willing to do the necessary research and consultation to competently treat them.
8. Recognize that since no legally recognized rabies vaccine exists for wolves and hybrids, authorities are acting within their responsibilities if they require an animal that has bitten someone (even in play) to be euthanized.
9. Obtain all necessary state and local permits. These can be expensive and difficult to acquire. They may be impossible to acquire in urban areas.
10. Never allow children or other animals to come into direct contact with the animals, except in controlled, supervised situations, and then only with full understanding of the possible consequences for all involved if an injury occurs.
11. Never allow the animals to run loose.
12. Purchase adequate liability insurance.
13. Be prepared to spend a minimum of one hour per day, every day, interacting directly with the animals.
14. Neuter the animals.
15. Plan to provide all of the above for the lifetime of these animals-as long as 18 years.

What you should do if you own a hybrid and can no longer keep it safely anymore:

Do not pass your responsibility on to an unsuspecting party. A few organizations (the Internet is a good resource) provide care for unwanted wolves and hybrids, but requests to place these animals greatly outpace available openings. You may try to place your animal in one of these facilities, but first you should visit the facility to determine whether it will provide a reasonable life for the animal. It is difficult for hybrids and wolves to adapt to new surroundings and new people. It is imperative that you are honest about what is best for your animal. Passing your responsibility on to someone else may make you feel better, but often the least cruel fate is to take responsibility and humanely euthanize your animal. [/b]

Sad, but so true. I don't really think the average pet owner is going to go to those lengths to provide a wolf-dog a safe, healthy environment. As far as the advice on euthanasia very true. There are too many breeders, millers, BYBs and not enough rescue orginazations for this particular type of animal. So very sad! They are bred without a thought of what their life will become. :cry:

I don't believe this has been addressed yet in this thread - I believe there are some medications and vaccines that cannot be given to wolf hybrids as well. So beyond all the other considerations, you would need to find a vet who knew specifically about wolves.

I added that only for overall information; I do not believe in wolf-hybrids (er, having them or breeding them I mean, I know they exist LOL).
It's interesting though, Bengals (cats) are part wild cat, and are quite different. I wonder if that is because only 3rd generations can be sold as true Bengals?

• 5 years later...