Dogomania

Pointing Labs (Rare?)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Actually, this is a rare thing to have. Labradors were used for pointing for a long time and then as they became more popular in the show ring, the lines for pointing were slowly bred out and the instinct diminished. So pointing Labradors are quite a sight for sore eyes and anyone who breeds them has good stock.
Torrie :angel:

Guest Anonymous

I am curious as to where they were used for pointing? Most dogs with a sense of smell will point or raise a tail and stop which is what the pictures show. Really not even a raised tail compared to a setter or pointer.

Pointing Labs are mainly in field trail lines, which are/were not used in show rings. Most labs that are used in field trial lines will point. Labs have a hard time not flushing out birds because of their retrieveing nature but trained correctly and continously some will work out. However Pointing Labs cannot be ran in NAVHDA trials because they are not recognized.

If this breed of Lab has been around so long I find it funny that the IPLA says this:
"The purpose of the IPLA is to [b]develop and breed[/b] a versatile Labrador Retriever that possesses the instinct to point, track and retrieve wild game, on land and water."

I am sorry to sound defensive but this breed has enough problems and shelter visits without the addition of a newer improved version. :-?