Dogomania

border collies anyone

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a 4 year old Border Collie + Australian Shepherd... She's built and walks like an aussie though, but still has got the smarts (and smart-alecey) of the BC!! LOL

[quote name='Hobbit']
:lol: :lol: .... pants on fire...you have TEN in ONE body!! :lol: :lol: and they are ALL trying to get out at once....... :drinking:[/quote]

:lol: :lol: WELLLLLL if you had explained that to me a long time ago I would have known what was wrong with him! LOL

Actually he got to sleep on the bed night before last, and he didn't even chew up a sock. The others got in a who-sleeps-closest to mom war with him, though, so I felt like I was trapped in a cocoon...locked down under the covers by the doggie bodies.

Then last night....back to his old ways....so into the kitchen for the night!

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

I've got two border collies.
One was suppose to be a working dog but he wouldn't work, he is a great pet though(Teddy is his name because he is such a cuddle).
And the other one I think has it's roots in a puppy farm but we got her from a rescue( Cassie is her name).

Annette

Guest Anonymous

Hi there,
That's Cassie, I think she would have made an excellent work dog.
Looking at her on a walkies is a joy, and she is so fast!
She makes a great pet too.
I have millions of photos but I don't know where to post them though...
Teddy looks more like a Teddy LOL and his passion in life is TENNIS BALLS, but only green once, none of that pet stores once in different colours.

Annette

I have just posted some pictures of them in the picture place....

I have BC - Kavik. He has . . . moxy. Very enthusiastic about whatever he does, such as, dominating Tyr, taking the toy from Zaphod, dominating Tyr, taking the toy from Zaphod, dominating . . . that's what he's doing right now, keeps him very busy. I don't think he would have made a good working dog though, not from working lines, never seen a sheep and only herds us, others, dogs or cats once in a while.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Cool, I'm guna make the two posts about BC's going at once! MWAHAHHAAHA THE BORDER COLLIE WILL TAKE OVER! :evilbat: :drinking:

Anywho!
About the working...
Hazel IS from working lines, not completely sure on all of them... but Mr. Pond (the breeder) had been breeding Aussies + BC's for quite some years now, stricktly for the purpose of herding. Hazel is the first (and only) one of his dogs to become a pet... which I don't think was the best idea... she's only truely happy if she has something to do, she LOVES to work with all her little heart! So of course I'm kept quites busy thinking of new ways of getting her into differnt sports. While we mainly train around Agility, she's got some Tracking, Carting, Bikjoring, Freestyle, Disc Dog, and Dog Sledding under her belt. I wish to get her started into flyball this summer too, but we'll see how things go... depends on whether we can get her agility equipment done too! :wink: Unfortantly, she's aggressive and so can't herd, which is a real pitty... it's also a real pitty that she'll never be able to compete in Agility, but oh well... we're just happy playing aorund in our back yard :D

Guest Anonymous

Uh, I don't THINK she's aggressive... I know she is... or were you meaning that she can't herd? Well, she normally doesn't get along with ANYONE! Besides, not like we have any sheep for her to herd! :lol: And what i know of, there aren't any of those places where you can take your dog to teach them to herd around here!

[quote name='HazelNutMeg']Uh, I don't THINK she's aggressive... I know she is... or were you meaning that she can't herd? Well, she normally doesn't get along with ANYONE! Besides, not like we have any sheep for her to herd! :lol: And what i know of, there aren't any of those places where you can take your dog to teach them to herd around here![/quote]

Fear and aggression are two totally different things and are normally mistaken for the same. But, that's been discussed and layed to rest.

Just a general statement....some people think it's neat to have a fearful dog that they think is "aggressive".

Yes, I was referring to herding. Getting along with someone has nothing to do with herding. Getting along with someone usually means she is fearful and not a truly human-aggressive dog. BC's and Aussie's have been bred for many years to be loyal to humans, not aggressive. It's a fear factor with your Hazel.

In the entire world of Canada.....there aren't any sheep?? :wink:

Some people like to participate in herding competitions. I guess some people don't, if it their dog is bred to do that sort of thing.

Just general statements......not meant or directed towards you.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Hobbit'] Just a general statement....some people think it's neat to have a fearful dog that they think is "aggressive". [/quote]

She doesn't normally really show signs of fear so much... and there IS such thing as "Fear Aggression" isn't there?

[quote name='Hobbit'] Yes, I was referring to herding. Getting along with someone has nothing to do with herding. Getting along with someone usually means she is fearful and not a truly human-aggressive dog. BC's and Aussie's have been bred for many years to be loyal to humans, not aggressive. It's a fear factor with your Hazel. [/quote]

Well, I don't think I'd like to chance having Hazel tear apart a sheep. I've seen her with our horses we had before, and even after she was trampled once she'd still chase them. I know that's just her instinct kicking in, but we were really luckly she never got a hold of one of their legs. I know my Haze, the way she was acting was like she does when she goes after dogs/people :o

[quote name='Hobbit']
In the entire world of Canada.....there aren't any sheep?? :wink: [/quote]

Nope. :wink:

[quote name='Hobbit'] Some people like to participate in herding competitions. I guess some people don't, if it their dog is bred to do that sort of thing.
Just general statements......not meant or directed towards you.[/quote]

I don't get what your saying actually... "if it their dog is bred to do that sort of thing" huh? What do you mean? :-?

[quote name='HazelNutMeg']
Well, I don't think I'd like to chance having Hazel tear apart a sheep. I've seen her with our horses we had before, and even after she was trampled once she'd still chase them. I know that's just her instinct kicking in, but we were really luckly she never got a hold of one of their legs. I know my Haze, the way she was acting was like she does when she goes after dogs/people :o

[/quote]

You [b]never[/b] just turn an untrained (without commands) dog loose in a pen with sheep or any livestock. There are steps you need to go thru first. You NEVER, EVER just set a dog free to *chase* the livestock. It creates BAD habits for one thing. A dog with a good solid DOWN is most important. Start a dog, on a lead, in a pen with the the stock. Always maintain control of your dog. Normally, in about 30 days she'd be going really good enough to be a functional working dog (if she had the instinct and desire to begin with).

Guest Anonymous

Yeah I know, I know... but I don't plan on getting her into herding anyway... a lot of people have told me that's "wrong" that she should be doing what she was bred for... but she's still a happy dog, gets plenty of love, exersize, training, and the best health plan I can think of! :lol: