Dogomania

Danes and wrestling

deepseasnake

Im wondering about the possabilities of me one day owning a Great Dane I want a big black one, probably like Mei's but I saw a HUGE one today he was totally awe inspiring!
I want to know about their energy levels and how they play, I DONT WANT a copy paste from an AKC site or any other, I can find those myself, I want to hear from the owners and others who've had personal expierances with them

all my dogs have to wrestle with me so that is what Im always looking for

Get something else then LOL.

One you can't roughhouse with them especially young as you can hurt their joints and limbs while they are growing.

Two you can't roughhouse with them because that teaches them habits you don't want a 200 lb dog having.

Three you can't roughhouse with them because they are generally asleep on the couch.

Four you can't roughhouse with them because it hurts. Really. You are not a real dane owner until your Dane has inadvertently injured you enough that there is obvious physical evidence. (I don't mean Danes are mean, they are usually very careful but sometimes you are both moving and before you know it you're socked in the eye)

so they are kinda lazy then huh? thats too bad

but you ladies forget I am a 6'2" 250# man a wrestling match with a 200# animal is like me showing my little brother what time it is.
Not trying to brag mind you but I fight every week and a$$ gets kicked all over the floor during my martial arts class and I will get my a$$ kicked by 3 or 4 guys at a time once I start my combat classes with the ARMY, so I doubt Ill have much trouble with personal injury inflicted by the dog.

although I was wrestling with Nikki and Oscar yesterday and I kinda bucked my head up cuz they plowed over top of me, and Oscar had just put his mouth over the back of my head so I bucked right into his canine tooth and it put a big bloody hole in my scalp. Oscar thought it was his fault and ran outside with his tail tucked, so I had to chase him and tell him it wasnt his fault but I think for a minute he thought I was after him, poor dog :(

Well I advise you to spend some time around Danes and see their personalities. On Sundays around 1 there is an unofficial little Dane meeting at Marymoor, but I haven't been going lately because it has been raining.

I got a puppy who is just what I wanted, like most boy Danes he's a total cuddly couch potato Momma's boy. You would not wrestle with him. He screams if he thinks you are doing anything to him other than petting.

On the other hand there are always more active ones. Getting a rescue would allow you to know more about their personality and how they do with other dogs. Dane Outreach, the local rescue is often at Marymoor at that time as well with some of the dogs.

Guest Anonymous

qell a couple of things. First Apbt's and American Staffordshire terriers(staffs) have that tail lashing problem too. They do take a lot of punishment as well they are not protective like a Dane(I have heard this about Danes) They are not as big and they eat less,they have less problems with Hip dysplasia . Keeping all that in mind I don't think that an Apbt or an Am.staff(there is a difference) would be a good breed of dog for you because you have other dogs and generally males and males will fight and females and females will fight this is not always true and Am.staffs are generally less dog agressive than Apbt's but if you are interested in rescuing you will be asking for trouble because you will not know the bloodlines(Gamebred versus showbred etc)so you will not know untill it is to late. If you get apuppy it may or may not work out and you might be heartbroken when they get along great until they hit about 2 years of age. Another thing you would have to deal with is your friends and family constantly telling you that yout dogs brain is going to swell and he is going to go crazy,Or that he will suddenly turn on you and eat your kids ,or yuck they are so ugly none of which are true but nonethless you would have to deal with tons of people like that and if you board your dogs or take them from the groomer or rent your house you may have trouble finding a place that will accept them. So stick to Danes or something else.

[quote name='alicat613']
Three you can't roughhouse with them because they are generally asleep on the couch.

[/quote]

NOT true!! Deep is normally on the couch..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess they would have to wrestle over WHO gets the couch! :lol: :lol:

....sorry Deep, couldn't resist.

[quote name='Hobbit'][quote name='alicat613']

[/quote]

NOT true!! Deep is normally on the couch..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

[/quote]
I'm confused...how do your statement and my statement not agree?
I say they are generally on the couch...then you say not true, "Deep" is normally on the couch? I'm confused!!

[quote name='laduenda']First Apbt's and American Staffordshire terriers(staffs) have that tail lashing problem too. They do take a lot of punishment as well they are not protective like a Dane(I have heard this about Danes) They are not as big and they eat less,they have less problems with Hip dysplasia .
(regarding staffs and APBTs) if you board your dogs or take them from the groomer or rent your house you may have trouble finding a place that will accept them. So stick to Danes or something else.

[/quote]

First, please, if you are going to advise someone regarding a breed, make sure you have accurate info!!

Danes are NOT protective animals. They make terrible watch dogs other than the fact that generally no one would approach someone with such a large dog.

The Dane tail issue IS different than with other dogs who have a strong tail wag. Their tails are higher, so they knock things off tables, but the worst part is the tail is at a very frightening height for male humans, if you catch my drift.

Also as far as food, a grown Dane eats less than an active full grown lab.

You will have just as much trouble with boarding, grooming, and renting with a Dane. Many people do not have the facilities to care for or groom such a large dog, many rentals won't accept such a large dog.

Whatever breed you are interested in it is important to get accurate information from people who own the breed as well as spend time with the breed, both indoors and out. It's one thing to see a Dane in the park, a whole nother story having one in your living room. Also learn how to find a reputable breeder or shelter.

okay to clear up a few things

K- I have always liked the idea of getting a pit type dog apbt, am staff, on and on but Im affraid that if something ever happened with a neighbors dog or something I would loose mine, since it was the crazy pit bull, but Im still thinking about it

Ali- I always rescue Im not looking for a show dog or a pup yet so whenever I make a breed inquirey its from a rescue aspect.
I go through phases sometimes a I want this some times that so when ever I have a thought I run it by the board. Im not REALLY considering a dane quite yet, but the marymoore idea sounds good I need to see some friends in that neck of the woods anyway :D

Gigi- ever since Kiger came here Im all over the shibas :D but Im not able to admit that I really like one because the next progressive step is to an AKITA :o and we all know my take on the demon dogs :lol:

ummm oh and hobbit
[img]http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/fingers/fing07.gif[/img]

so Im thinkin a Dane isnt the best idea, so back on my quest to find a companion for my AB, Neo and shiba.....uh did I say shiba *doh :x

Well then, maybe a Dane would be a good idea. If you are interested in resuce, that's great, because generally they know so much about the dogs. That way you wouldn't end up with a wuss like my baby!

You really should come on down to Marymoor (in Redmond) on a Sunday afternoon. There are usually about 20 Danes there and the local rescue (Dane Outreach) usually brings one or two rescuable dogs down as well. The only real way to know if a breed is for you is to meet them!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='deepseasnake']okay to clear up a few things

K- I have always liked the idea of getting a pit type dog apbt, am staff, on and on but Im affraid that if something ever happened with a neighbors dog or something I would loose mine, since it was the crazy pit bull, but Im still thinking about it

Ali- I always rescue Im not looking for a show dog or a pup yet so whenever I make a breed inquirey its from a rescue aspect.
I go through phases sometimes a I want this some times that so when ever I have a thought I run it by the board. Im not REALLY considering a dane quite yet, but the marymoore idea sounds good I need to see some friends in that neck of the woods anyway :D

Gigi- ever since Kiger came here Im all over the shibas :D but Im not able to admit that I really like one because the next progressive step is to an AKITA :o and we all know my take on the demon dogs :lol:
:BIG:

[color=red]WOOO HOO!!!!!!!!

Oh, if you are serious about this shiba thing....make sure you have a lot of this! [/color]:drinking:
ummm oh and hobbit
[img]http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/fingers/fing07.gif[/img]

so Im thinkin a Dane isnt the best idea, so back on my quest to find a companion for my AB, Neo and shiba.....uh did I say shiba *doh :x[/quote]

[color=blue]Little dog outside, [size=7]big [/size]dog inside. My male has tried to take on our neighbor's Rottie... [/color]:o