But otherwise
"A [i]very[/i] good home"
They fed you Pal and Chum
But not that lovely long run,
Until, mad with energy and boredom
You escaped - and ran and ran and ran
Under a car.Today they will cry for you -
Tommorrow they will buy another dog.

That was from a Children's Tales book I found in my old room.
I was bored, looking for a book to read..just ran into that.

Guest Anonymous

UUGG! A children's book about not exercising their dog so it runs away, gets killed by a car and then they get a new dog the next day?

Wont be reading that to any children I know!

Egg, Spike Milligan was an amazingly funny and talented comedian/author (he died last year I think, he was about 90 or so). I have some of his books too. He also used to be part of the Goon Show (way before our time, Dad has the records though). I am 99% sure the poem is a parody, a take on irresponsible pet ownership. :) I would read that to my future children as a way NOT to look after animals, also teaches them about satirical humour :wink:

[quote name='bk_blue']Egg, Spike Milligan was an amazingly funny and talented comedian/author (he died last year I think, he was about 90 or so). I have some of his books too. He also used to be part of the Goon Show (way before our time, Dad has the records though). I am 99% sure the poem is a parody, a take on irresponsible pet ownership. :) I would read that to my future children as a way NOT to look after animals, also teaches them about satirical humour :wink:[/quote]
CAN I ALSO ADD HE WAS ENGLISH. I REMEMBER WATCHING THE GOON SHOW. HE WAS TRYING TO MAKE IRRISPONSIBLE OWNERS TO THINK