Dogomania

Flea collar

bk_blue

Blitz has been scratching and biting for about a week. I gave him a flea bath and flea powdered the whole house etc etc but I could never find any fleas until yesterday. So I got him a flea collar (he's had them before), and he seemed to react strangely to it. He would lie in places on the floor (not on the couch or on my bed, not like him) and in corners where it may have been cooler, and breathe quickly- not panting, but normal either. Anyway after about 4-5 hours of monitoring him I took it off and now he's fine, but back to biting and scratching himself. I don't know if I was overreacting or not, as he's never had any reaction to a flea collar, but I thought it would be best if I took it off. Has anyone experienced this before? The only reason I tried the collar was because the soap and the powder did not seem to work. Maybe I will have to go to the vet and get some sort of tablet. :-? BTW he is not on any medication.

He mainly scratches and nibbles his lower belly on either side of his pizzle :wink: and around his bottom. He loves grooming his paws, he is worse than the cat but he's always done that. He scratches pretty much all over, some of it I think is just normal itch scratching but some of it is flea scratching.
I think I will give him a bath, the flea collar smells so disgusting- really strong flea collar smell- I wouldn't be surprised if he pretended to react to it just to get me to put it away!

Guest Anonymous

hey bk- have you ever used Frontline ? i've been using on lady for several years and have not seen more than two fleas on her in that long. it works really well. over here it's like $12 for tube you squeeze onto their necks above the shoulder blades and it spreads over the body and protects the dog for at least a month and half.

Thanks, I have found a natural remedy which I am trying- 10-20 drops of a flea repellent essential oil (eg. lavender, lemongrass, citronella, eucalyptus) with 500ml water in a spray bottle. I sprayed it on him just before and I'll see how that goes. I might also try the garlic... if this fails I'll give the Frontline a go, I've heard good stuff about that too :)
The flea collar is stinking out the house! No matter which room I put it in it reeks... what a waste of ten bucks :x

Why not use a preventative product. I use Sentinel and my dogs have never had fleas or worms. Sentinel prevents heartworm intestinal worms and fleas. However if you see a flea on your dog then you have fleas in your home. Sentinel prevents the fleas from breeding and it takes about 3 months before all the flea breeding process comes to and end. In the meantime you would need to use a spray on product to give your dog relief from the fleas. If your dog is scratching and biting because of fleas you also need to have a look at tapeworm protection and use a worming product as fleas carry tapeworm and dogs swallow the fleas and "viola' we have tapeworm. Sentinel is expensive but I bet it is cheaper than having to buy all the products needed to eliminate the problem.
BTW I would not use a flea collar as a lot of dogs are allergic to them and they can cause nasty symptoms.

Anne, can you get Sentinel over the counter or do you have to go to the vet? Blitz is due for his checkup in a few weeks (January) so if I need a vet to give it to me I'll think about getting some, either that or Frontline. I doused him with flea powder and lavender spray and he's doing well- hasn't nibbled once at his groin. :) I will ask Dad about the worming stuff, as bk was living there Dad will have his schedule and know what sort of worming program he is on and what I should do if I intend to swap to Sentinel.
This is the first reaction he's had to a flea collar, he's had at least 2 before (but years ago, fleas are a rarity for him). I don't know if it's the brand or not, but I won't be buying it again (exelpet).

BK You can get Sentinel over the counter, it used to be a script item but not any more. Beware the price vets charge though. My vet charged me $85.95 for a packet of 6 and I now buy it on the net for $62.00. Sentinel does not do tapeworm, you need Drontal for that. Same thing with vet charges. Also on the net they have special prices from time to time.
The Sentinel comes in different strengths for various dogs. My dogs are large. If you want the addy of the company I buy from email me as if I post here it might look like an ad.
Cheers - Anne

:o no wonder dog breeders are broke, vets are worse than used car dealers LOL :wink:
Thanks Anne and everyone else for your advice. :) I initially thought he had an allergy to something inside or outside the house because I hadn't seen any fleas on him until a few days ago. Now I can get on with the treatment. (I have seen a few dead fleas on him which means SOMETHING is working anyway!)