Dogomania

[i]Small[/i] Black Lab ?????

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

A aqaintance of mine has a dog that is a very small Balck labrador retriever. I am no expert and have only owned 3 labs but I would swear this is a minatur lab. He called the dog a English retiever. I think that is what he said! The dog looked exactly like a lab but was only about 14-18 inches high. Does anyone know anything about this dog?
I have not had a dog since before I was married and had kids. kids are getting old enough now to aprecieat a dog. I really am most interested in having a lab and if this is a way to get a smaller version of the friends I have onwed previosly it would be a match made in heaven. I love labs but sometimes, especialy when traveling the size is a issue. any help and advice is apreciated.
Thanks
Bob S.

Guest Anonymous

There are no such things as miniature labs, but there are a lot of idiots out there that try and fool the public by labeling their pups as miniature this and thats. Sadly to say, your friends pup is either the runt (which is also extremely small to be called a runt), or a pup that didn't develop properly, or a mixed breed. When you are ready to get your own dog, please don't fall for the term "miniature" with some breeds. Do seek out a reputable breeder who does the necessary testing (not just a vet check) for hereditary diseases associated with the breed.

Labs from English lines tend to be a bit shorter than normal labs, one of my neighbors has one that's a bit shorter than Goo, he's probably about 20" tall at the shoulder. You could probably find a medium sized dog that looks/acts like a lab at your local shelter if you looked :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Labradors range in size usually from about 21-25 inches at the withers(shoulders). Small would be about 19"... It is possible that this was a mixed breed or some other breed of dog. I have to agree please to not fall into the "rare" or "mini" ads that so many people post in newspapers or on the internet and make sure you find a reputable breeder that does testing on parents and pups.

[quote name='Jacsmom']Labradors range in size usually from about 21-25 inches at the withers(shoulders). Small would be about 19"... It is possible that this was a mixed breed or some other breed of dog. I have to agree please to not fall into the "rare" or "mini" ads that so many people post in newspapers or on the internet and make sure you find a reputable breeder that does testing on parents and pups.[/quote]

Maybe it's one them *RARE* Mini-brindle Labs? :lol: OR maybe a *RARE* teacup-bindle Lab......!!!

What did it's tail look like? Tails tell a lot in the lab breed. If it was curving up, it was probably a mix. If it had a thick, straitish tail I might be a purebred. Jacksmom and others, do you think it could have been stunted??? Bob s, how old was this dog?
Don't let someone fool you into thinking they have invented a new breed! :mad:

Guest Anonymous

The dog was young but old enough the he was considering breeding her. Soorry but I do not remember the caracteristics of the tail that clearly. I will try to run int this guy during the week and ask some more questions. But since I have your ear what do you think about the chances of a reputable breeder predictiong the size their pup will grow to?

Bob S

Guest Anonymous

Oh, my gosh, Bob. Your statement the dog was young but old enough that he was thinking about breeding her scares the life out of me. Evidently, this guy knows nothing about labs, breeding, or dogs in general. No dog should (male or female) should ever be bred before the age of 2, and a dog that doesn't meet the breed standard of whichever breed it may be should never ever be bred. Please ask this guy to do a lot of research on his breed and then have this dog spayed. Whatever she may be, it is evident from your post that she's not breeding quality. Also inform him that a responsible breeder will do all the necessary expensive breed specific testing for hereditary illnesses, and that all pups should go with a spay/neuter clause and that all pups must be returned to the breeder at anytime in their life if the owner is no longer able to care for them.

Guest Anonymous

BoB I have no idea where you are but here is a link to a site that is amazing and if there is anyone who would be able to tell you anything it is this lady. She is a reputabled breeder of Labradors and knows her stuff!! :wink:

[url]http://www.labbies.com/index.html[/url]