Dogomania

Teaching directions...

gooeydog

Does anyone know how to go about teaching a dog directions (ie: right & left)? My nephews want to have Goo be like a sled dog (again) this winter and them be able to "steer" her. The way we did the sledding last year was with them in the sled and me running alongside Goo, leading her where she needed to go. I had a hard time keeping up with Goo in the snow, so needless to say, our sledding trips were pretty short. If we could get her to take directions, I can use a longer lead and tell her which way to go, instead of having to be right beside her the whole time. I don't want to try to teach her and confuse her by doing it the wrong way :oops:

Guest Anonymous

This sounds exactly like me and my Dobie last year! Hehe... ;) I thought it would be neat to give some of the little kids a sled ride last year for Christmas(everyone goes to my mom's). Sooo, this is how I did it. First, I had to get him used to the sled, the go command, and the stop, but I'll get right to the directions. It wasn't to hard, really! I put him on a leash, told him to mush(we were walking, not running), and then I lead him to the right and said "gee", leading him a little ways, then saying "gee" again, pulling him to the right. I did that a few times and he started to get the idea. Then I did the same thing with the "haw" command. It took him a while to get it really well, but he finally got it. Hope I helped! :)

Agility folks frequently teach left and right turns.
This method works for agility, it may work for sledding too.
Decide on the commands you will use for your turns.
Start with the dog walking beside you on or off leash depending on the dog. If your dog is obedience trained, you might want to have the dog in harness to help differentiate between obed work and sled work.
While walking, turn sharply right while saying the command for that direction. As the dog turns with you, praise and reward. Clicker training is great for this if your dog does not dislike the sound of the clicker. Jesse BSD hates it while the girls think its wonderful.
Teach one direction at a time. Use a lot of body language at first, say if you are turning right and the dog is on your left, lift your left shoulder and kinda roll your body to the right. Work on both sides of your dog, for turning right with the dog on your right, give the command as you drop your right shoulder and turn your body towards the dog.
Use the same basics to teach the left turn. Your dog is on your left, you want to turn left, drop your left shoulder and turn into your dog, swing your right hand towards the left.
Encourage the dog to walk a bit ahead of you and practice your turns.
Is the sled one with runners? Once the dog has the idea, leaning to the right or left will replace the body language.

Herding dogs must know their left from their right, also. I've used the method that Carolk9's suggested and had success and also a different one.

I sit down on a stool and place a table in front of me or anything that protrudes out so the dog must walk around it.

I get some soft treats and start with the dog on either side. If the dog is on my right; I show the dog the treat (with my left hand) and tell him to go left, all the time I am leading him around the table (in front of me) with the treat. Then do the reverse, using my right hand and tell him to go right. After he has the directions down pat, we start on the "go around".

It works very well for some, some cheat and try to go over the top or underneath. Of course after he knows the directions, you can wean him off the treats.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='K']Big dumb dogs like 2 of mine (no names needed) need to know left and right too or else you end up having to use your whole body when out on walks to get them round corners :oops: also good to teach them is "back up" for reverse very useful when big dog gets stuck in small space as can happen very easily :oops: :D ...to teach left and right to mine I just incorporate it into my walks and use the correct term on each and every corner and then when in the house if I use it they tend to just turn a corner...quite usefull when they are steaming towards a full coffee table in their usual "pet me first" oblivion![/quote]

K, I just love your saint stories!

I tried a little in the spring with just making the turns and saying the directions, and all that I got was Goo looking at me with this bewildered/frustrated expression like, "I [i]am[/i] watching you, what more do you want". She was so confused that after about two weeks of trying it I just stopped. I don't use a clicker (too hard for me to coordinate), but I say "good" everytime she does what she's supposed to. I think the problem is that we do a lot of turns when we work on heeling, so she thought that was what she was supposed to be doing, and didn't know why we kept turning in one direction when she was already paying attention. Hobbit, the second method you suggested would probably work, but Goo's not particularly food motivated... or toy motivated, so I'm not sure she'd follow something around the table. She does know "go around", I tell her to "go around" and she runs around me as fast as she can. That's her "energy release" type thing though, and once she's done "going around", she usually wants to fly at breakneck speed back up through the yard. :oops:

K we teach the "back up", also --- it really comes in handy sometimes. I guess your big'un's have the beep, beep, beep going on when they back? :lol: :lol: :wink:

Goo -- that may be a sticky situation since, herding dogs, ours at least, we don't want them *looking* at us during training, only want them paying attention to the stock. I never require or even ask our herding dogs to look at us, because I want them paying attention to the stock instead of asking me what to do next.

I bet she is smart enough to catch on. Just don't say "go around" with her hitched to the sled!! :o

Dont know if it helps or not but sometimes I teach a dog(for herding) on the clothes line put them on one side you on the opposite and move around in one direction using the desired command and then reverse it after the dog has got one direction down pat for dogs that will keep out I lunge them like a horse :roll: