Dogomania

As Seen On Burke's Backyard

bk_blue

[url]www.acabreederskennels.com.au[/url]

"As Seen On Burke's Backyard"

This is maybe only of interest to Australian people- but a bit of background info is this:
There is a gardening show in Oz called "Burke's Backyard", which has been around for years. They also do road tests on different breeds of dogs, cats, horses etc. Anyway, the host, Don Burke, is really into promoting mixed breed or "designer" dogs on his show, allegedly because of a falling out he had with the NSW Canine Assoc or similar. There is also talk that he allegedly part owns a puppy farm... thus explaining why he goes to great lengths to talk up the advantages of a mixed breed dog and to denigrate somewhat the purebred dog.

Could this farm be his vested interest, if indeed the above is true?

I just came across this post after having a good vent about the 'gardener' in another post. He is an absolute idiot. I didn't know he was part owner of a puppy mill but it sounds like something he would do. What about the Vet on his show, one who promotes Xbreeding yet breeds GSD's himself. What a hypocrit. This Don Burke would be responsible for a large population of dogs being dumped in shelters because they don't grow up to be as he says they will on his TV show. Wish we could stop him and his 'hybrid vigor'. That terminology belongs to plants, not dogs.

I wish more people WOULD adopt dogs from shelters, breed rescue and so on, this is what I mean when I say there are more than enough breeds of dog to suit everyone in the world, why do we need to create more?
Anne I think you are spot on when you say that he (the "gardener") creates unrealistic expectations when featuring his new hybrid hydroponic Boodle or whatever (can you imagine a Basset X Poodle... prob not too far off), probably done by breeders out for a buck and not caring at all about research into health and genetics and all that stuff people take for granted when getting a dog from an ethical breeder. He should take his fingers out of puppy pies and concentrate on gardening, or promoting the RSPCA, Lost Dogs' Home etc. where most of his designer dogs probably end up!

I think it's possible to find out the Owners, Directors, etc. of businesses in Australia through the "freedom of information" act. Is there anyone here who knows where to look for this on the 'net, could prove VERY interesting if we can find who is behind these puppy mills/shops? Any ideas?????

Someone posted earlier that Don Burke was a co-owner of a puppy mill. ACA are the ones who advertise these weird cross breeds in the paper every Saturday and state "As seen on Burke's Backyard". The trouble is it is not illegal and it should be. No one in power wants to do anything about it. Burke must be making a fortune out of these poor unfortunate puppies. Perhaps dog owners should have to have a license like the one we need to drive a car. Lessons and education in caring for a dog before passing a test and getting a license. (Have spelled licence both ways and they both look wrong - you know what I mean though). Maybe have the City councils, who take our money in dog registrations every year and do nothing for it could inspect dog owners properties at random to check that all is well. Ah well I can have pipe dreams!!! The RSPCA is useless too.