Dogomania

Dog chewing tail!

corgilady

Toby has chewed on his tail (stub) until it is bleeding all over the place!!!!
What is going on?

Here's the story:
about 2 weeks ago I used a once-a-month flea drop called biospot. He still had fleas afterwards (I could see them). Usually I use advantage and they don't have fleas....I had run out though....and this was cheaper, and it was THERE, so more convenient :oops: anyway so yesterday I got some Advantage and put it on him. I had noticed he was chewing around his tail. Well according to the adv. box, all the fleas are dead in 12 hours. so he should not have fleas. But he has CHEWED HIS STUB until it is bloody. He also seemed not to feel good today.....laying around....

No one is here to help me hold him for a look-see, and he won't let me look much. He has bled all over the couch though; it is NOT NORMAL. And of course the vet is closed......grrr.....was just there(with a cat) at 5 pm but didn't realize this problem then.......

suggestions? would tea tree oil be ok to put on there?if he were to lick it off, would it hurt him?

[quote name='Mei-Mei']
I'm sorry, that wasn't very helpful. I just wanted to rant about Biospot.[/quote]

I'm with you there, Mei-Mei. The annoying thing is, they have a money-back guarantee :roll: but I used the package to wrap up the little tubes, so Koda wouldn't chew on them (trash junkie :roll: ). So I don't have it and I am SURE they would require it.

I am thinking of sending a letter and a copy of my petsmart receipt. At least they would have my complaint.

Poor Toby :(

I can totally sympathize with you and Toby on the sore,bleeding tail situation Corgilady.

I have heard mixed reviews on the toxicity of ingesting of Tea Tree Oil in pets...it seems that some say its safe, and others say its not...soooo, I prefer not to take the chance.

I don't know if it will help you, but I've been using Bag Balm on Loki's tail wound. It was developed for cows,but works great for domestic pets as well.You can get it at just about any petstore,and it is safe if ingested by dogs.I still don't take any chances though...I spray a little bitter apple around his tail area,just to keep him from licking...

Guest Anonymous

I actually read a post on Lab list Friday about a dog passing from Tea tree oil.... Not sure about the exact info. right now. I will have to hunt it down...
My dad had a Lab who suffered a pelvic injusry who would constantly chew his tail...it was numb and lacked alot of feeling...!!

[quote name='Jacsmom']I actually read a post on Lab list Friday about a dog passing from Tea tree oil.... [/quote]

[b][color=red]What??? Oh my GOD! [/color][/b]Now I am panicked...I used it last nite....he has slept almost all day...he doesn't feel good....

are you sure it was the oil? Not an illness or something?

Guest Anonymous

Still looking but here is this....

. Tea tree oil has been known to cause superficial burns to the skin, even third degree burns if not diluted correctly

Ok here is the scoop.... it is a REALLY BAD hotspot, right on his tail stub. It is huge and runny? I thought hotspots were red and dry-ish? He got a prednisone shot and a butt shave :lol: and some cream to put on twice a day. I feel sure he had a temp on Sat. but today it was 100.3.....normal, right?
All in all it cost me $38.
He was very bad and tried to bite everyone. He fought the whole time they were shaving him.

Butt shaves can be kind of embarrassing. :o :oops:

Glad he is on the road to recovery, poor little guy.

Okay.....I DID have to laugh >> got that mental picture of a half crazed, :evilbat: short-legged buzz saw of a Corgi, WITH A SHAVED BUTT, reaking havoc with all the tech's and doctor! :lol: :lol:

His shaved butt just added insult to injury! :lol: I bet he was one mad little boy!

Guest Anonymous

Ok Sorry :oops: Person that lost dog DID NOT dilute from what I am understanding or did not diluted correctly...dog licked and licked and licked and got sick... That is what I am gathering... Dog got sick person went to vet to late.......

Glad to hear Toby is doing better.... Sorry to hear about vet and butt shave!

Ohhhhhh I don't know if baboon is quite the WORD.....he looks like.... :o

You should have seen the little students as they each came in today :lol: trying to figure out what exactly that end of him WAS.

Hobbit, you've got the right mental pic.....you wouldn't believe how strong that little guy is....I assume that with such short legs you get a lot of leverage....or he was just so mad he became the tasmanian devil....at any rate my wrist is sprained, ribs are scratched, and chin is bruised BLUE!!! where he slammed me with his head! Who would have thought it! :roll:

Isn't it amazing that these little 30 to 40lb dogs can knock a grown person off their feet!

I've had a busted nose, black eye, bruises, lacerations, punctures, the wind knocked out of me, my feet taken out from under me, and knocked plum silly by dogs that weigh 40 to 50lbs. Miss Kitty (20lbs), the amazing diving dog, when she catches me off guard (which she loves to do) and does her "I love you jump", she can knock the wind out of you. I NEVER know or see it coming --- she just laughs and thinks it so hilarious...I do NOT see the humor in it, at all. [size=2]Working hard to re-direct this behaviour. [/size]

[quote name='Hobbit'][size=2]Working hard to re-direct this behaviour. [/size][/quote]

I'm with ya there... I have worked so hard to get Koda not to jump up.... so today my daughter said MOM WATCH.... I thought she had taught him some cool trick.....she crouches down, and -- yep -- he jumps UP [b]just the thing we have been trying to STOP FOR MONTHS. [/b] :roll:

[size=2]I didn't even bother to address it. I am so disgusted![/size] :roll: :(

[quote name='corgilady'][quote name='Hobbit'][size=2]Working hard to re-direct this behaviour. [/size][/quote]

I'm with ya there... I have worked so hard to get Koda not to jump up.... so today my daughter said MOM WATCH.... I thought she had taught him some cool trick.....she crouches down, and -- yep -- he jumps UP [b]just the thing we have been trying to STOP FOR MONTHS. [/b] :roll:

[size=2]I didn't even bother to address it. I am so disgusted![/size] :roll: :([/quote]

Oh noooooo, Miss Kitty doesn't "jump-up". She climbs on the highest point and jumps-down (pounces), like a cat. She is extremely athletic and likes high places, the higher the better. She waits for her unsuspecting victim to walk by.......then pounce. She takes great delight in this. One thing you do is make sure you know where she is before you walk by the hay stack or round bales of hay. :wink:

:o That's like having a mountain lion in the barn!

I watched my daughter fighting her dog off this morning....he kept jumping up JUST LIKE SHE SHOWED HIM YESTERDAY....I didn't say a word. She didn't want him to do it today, becuz she was getting ready to go to school and had on dress pants. HAH. Maybe now she'll get the picture.