Dogomania

These dogs

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have come across a picture of 2 gorgeous looking dogs but don't know which breeds they are or could be bred from, can someone help.

[url]http://community.webshots.com/photo/2119171/33513515Uojwsf[/url]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean those two tiny chihuahua's? :P
Kidding! They are Neapolitan Mastiffs.
Within this line, Community: Pets: Dogs: Cinciripini's Chino: (L) Chino and (R) Lettizia
click on Cinciripini's Chino and you will go back a step to multiple photos of these dogs. To the left, under cmastino's albums there is a link to the neapolitan mastiffs.

Guest Anonymous

I love all mastiff/molosser breeds but the Neapolitan Mastiff and Spanish Mastiff are the ones I like the most. I (hopefully) will be getting my very first Neo soon I have loved this breed for many years and have read upon them to find out their temperament, history etc and I feel that they are the appropriate breed for me.

Guest Anonymous

The temperament on the Neos is well worth investigating before one considers purchasing one.
When I was trying to drum up some rescue help for members of this breed in need I learned some interesting details about the problems (or what I viewed as problems) in temperament in the breed - such as them not being safe to keep more than one of the same sex, or other dogs with them, or not being especially safe with humans that are not family members.
The first one I met in person the importer who got his pup in Italy told me not to touch as the dog had already bitten two people that day - and it was only a teenage pup!

I've done more looking into this dog than ANY other and it's swarmed with opinions.
The coolest thing I ever found was an article about stating, 3000 years ago these dogs ran side by side with greek and roman soldiers into battle. there are acounts of people who's villages were razed talking about "Demon dogs" and "great monsters controled by a master."

this breed is very special and very protective, but just like any dog in the world good training and a healthy home life will render these dogs benevolent family pets.
Be ready to have a dog that breaks 200 pounds though, these guys are HUGE and eat ALOT and drool ALOT.
I will buy one when I retire my main reasons for waiting till then is these guys should not run awhole lot, almost never at full speed. They are to big and heavy to be super active all the time, like me :D . Also they are prone to cherry eye and one thing I have read repeatedly is by never puting a lead or collar on for the first 6 months will significantly decrease the chance of it poping up. so I plan to be with the dog all day every day for the first 6 months

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='deepseasnake']I've done more looking into this dog than ANY other and it's swarmed with opinions.
The coolest thing I ever found was an article about stating, 3000 years ago these dogs ran side by side with greek and roman soldiers into battle. there are acounts of people who's villages were razed talking about "Demon dogs" and "great monsters controled by a master."

this breed is very special and very protective, but just like any dog in the world good training and a healthy home life will render these dogs benevolent family pets.
Be ready to have a dog that breaks 200 pounds though, these guys are HUGE and eat ALOT and drool ALOT.
I will buy one when I retire my main reasons for waiting till then is these guys should not run awhole lot, almost never at full speed. They are to big and heavy to be super active all the time, like me :D . Also they are prone to cherry eye and one thing I have read repeatedly is by never puting a lead or collar on for the first 6 months will significantly decrease the chance of it poping up. so I plan to be with the dog all day every day for the first 6 months[/quote]

I agree with you on the training and also a dog of this size and nature needs really heavy socialization with people and other animals (imagine a dog weighing 200lbs+ going berserk). Did'nt know that cherry eye could (perhaps) be avoided if the dog does'nt wear a collor or lead fo thefirst 6 moths though. Where did you read/hear that?

I cant find the page right now, its a quite popular one though, written up by some doctor. he also talks about BARF and how people who show and breed to the AKC standards for Neos, are doing massive harm to this dog.

I'm sure you have seen the page its got a grey backgound and a bad midi file that plays in the background....jeez its always when you try to find something that its gone, oh well I'll find it and post on it when I do

Deep, would you by any chance be talking about [url]http://www.neapolitan.com/[/url]
Seeing as you've looked alot into them, do you know if they are dog agressive? I'm planning on getting one when I have a good job and alot of money to spare, but wont if it may hurt my boxers.

yes I that is the site, I cant find the article though, maybe I found it off a link, hmmm I'll keep looking

I heard and read both sides of the dog aggressive thing, and I feel from some phone calls I made and a handfull of emails that these dogs need to be very confident and not dog aggressive. remember they were originaly war dogs then turned gaurd dog, so I personally worry about people aggression. In the sense that if some kid breaks into my house and the dog (I already have a name picked out, Ceaser) busts the kid up, I'll bet I take a fall for it :roll:. The thing is a good confident dog really is not a danger if he has a clear head on his shoulders. Besides I plan on pushing him upward around 250 pounds so I really doubt anyone with any sort of cerebral function would aproach a house with a dog that size, but ya never know right?

The thing that I worry about with having a mastino with a boxer is in regaurd to how they play, and probably not for the reason you think, that page has some info about how their bone structure is set up and how an active life style dooms them to bone problems much earlier and much worse than classicaly thought of. So like I said in the other post I will not get Ceaser until I'm not capable of that life style anymore or until I can spend every minute of every day with him. He will most likely be the dog I die with :wink:.

But they are the coolest dogs I have ever seen and you can see pride on every single one even as pups they carry themselves a certain way. I have 5 pictures up on my bulliten board that I see everyday and I cant wait to have one :D

no time to proof read, I hope I made sense :oops:.......see ya later

Guest Anonymous

Before you buy one of these dogs I suggest you read these articles:

[url]http://www.igorilla.com/gorilla/animal/2000/dog_attack_scotland.html[/url]

[url]http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=37827A27.4C0EF98F%40virgin.net&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dneapolitan%2BBlue%2Bstitches%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26hl%3Den[/url]

Dont worry - you dont have to convert, i work with kilos too - the clever way to weigh :D

Trixie is huge, no [size=6][b]MASSIVE[/b][/size]and her date is 13 -10 !!!!
People who used that male before warned me about the baby sizes - apparently they are big, up to one kilo!!!!!!!!
I hope we are not gonna battle - she squeezed hard on her first litter, but they were also very big (800g)