Dogomania

How do I stop Duck .....

eggrolyn1223

1.Barking: She barks and barks when we put her in her cage. She has toys in her cage and it's not too hot or too cold.
2.Chewing:I let her out when I'm at home but she chews on the chair legs, the electric cables, the piano, and anything she can get her teeth on, including my feet. She has plenty of bones and I put peanut butter in one of her bones.I take her out to excercise everyday.
3.Biting: I try to pet her but she nips at me and when she's on the floor, she bites my feet, or if I'm wearing pants, my pants, or my shoes.
4.Stepping and sitting on her pee/poo: She doesn't seem to have a sense of cleanliness- when she accidentally pees in the house, she sits in it or steps on it.Don't dogs have a sense of cleanliness?

:o I'd love to help you but the prob is my dog does the same! She bites and chews! I was afraid to say afraid that ppl might attack me saying I wasn't taking good care of my Rowie-Pooh! :D I DO! :( I can't wait for answers cuz im DYING to know what to do! :oops:

Other than that she's the greatest pup in the world!(oh, I mean to me!) :D :lol:

Guest Anonymous

hey how are ya. my puppy did the same thing. the little bastard thought he had a louder mouth than me when he was in his cage. so i got the bright idea of yelling back at him. surprisingly it worked. when he used to bark i would just yell or bark back at him and that would cure it for awhile. now he is about 6 months old so i dont have that problem anymore (at least not too bad). as far as the chewing goes, i would find his favorite things to chew on and put something really nasty tasting on it like vinegar or something similar. that works. just make sure there is water around for him to get the taste out. that is about the only advice i can give. sorry not much help.

Guest Anonymous

1. It is best to let them bark and get it over with, because if you go to them they know it works and you will feel sorry for him and let her out. If she WILL not stop, Im not sure, Earplugs? :wink:
2 and 3 Tell me when you find a solution! My puppy does that too!
4. He he he! Freckles ROLLS in poop, not her own, but cow poop. Is she longhaired?

If you cannot get Bitter Apple, and btw, my aussie mix thought Bitter Apple was like hot fudge on ice cream, try Vicks Vapor Rub or some other type of mentholated smelly stuff. Always test your dog first, if you can get a jar, let her smell the jar. All 3 of mine screwed up their faces in total disgust and backed away. You can either dab tiny amounts of it on things she chews or put some on a strip of paper or paper towel and tape the paper to the object. She will outgrow this, just takes time and patience. Brittany used to chew on the wall corners.
Stepping in her pee and poo, dont know what to tell you about that.
Oh the barking, that'll drive ya nuts. I've heard that if you can teach your dog to bark or talk on command, it's easier then to tell them 'NO BARK!' You might also try taking an empty soda can, rinsed out and let dry, drop about 3 pennies in it, tape the top. When your dog start barking, toss the can on the floor so it will make an unpleasant noise, tell your dog 'NO BARK'. Kinda in line with other responses about making a loud unpleasant noise and perhaps the dog will associate with her own barking and ease off. Of course when she stops barking, calmly and kindly praise her. I wouldn't praise her with a lot of excitement in my voice as that may just set her off again.
Good luck.

I saw on a dog show the other day. (The lady had the same problem you have, about the barking I mean)

The vetenarian said to have the radio playing in the room where the dog is left. So that he/she don't feel alone. Apparently, one of the reasons that they bark is that they feel alone and want company. The radio should be at a talking station rather than music, so that the dog can hear human voices. Apparently it works. At least it wouldl be worth a try and wuld not cost anything nor would it harm the dog.

For the chewing, could she be teething? Ice cubes did it for my dog.

Just a suggestion.

:D GOOD :D Now Eggrolyn1223 and Ihave an answer to the chewing....

But what about the biting? :-? I really dunno WHAT to do..

You see before we ACTUALLY got her, we had to keep her at a foster home cuz we didn't move in to the house yet. Everytime we went to visit, she would bite, bite, BITE! Now when I say bite, I don't mean the tearing meat off kinda thing, I mean just mouthing, but when she REALLY means it, IT HURTS! :cry: When we finally moved in, she cooled off a bit, BUT now that school started, she DOES get too exited(if ya know what I mean).

So, Iv'e been trying a few techniques...when she starts, I hold her muzzle, tell her to sit, then say loud N' clear...NO! Sometimes it works....most of the time...IT DOESN'T! :evil: :cry: Then (if it doesn't work) I say it again, and then give her a slight smak on her rear, a tap actually, and say more effectively, NO! After that she puts up her paw, as if she wants me to forgive her, and I do..if I pet her directly after that, she starts biting me...as if "oh, she forgave me, now I can bite some more!". And then I HAFTO START THE WHOLE PROCEDURE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x I really love that pup, and as if she hasn't got a TUB full of toys! Urghhh..

This is first time I ran across a prob like this! :-?

What should I do expertee's? :wink:

HELP!

Oh, and the 2 things that trigger her "biting machine" on, are....

If I wave a sheet or towel, she will bite the towel then directly to my hand or foot she goes!

The second thing..If we r away TOO long(wich we don't do that often exept when traveling), we walk thru the gate, she runs, jumps on us, then, chomp, chomp..

:cry: AGian...HELP!

Thanx :D

Guest Anonymous

Ooohhh you gotta love a Lab and a golden... Well as for the Lab she/he will chew until the age of 2 so be ready for the long haul.. but with training (which you can do :D ) it will slow alot or at least be under control...Same goes for the Golden...

*Chewing: When she/he chews on something she is not suppose to immediately say "No chew" and replace what she/he has with something else such as a bone or toy.. Keep this up always use the "no Chew' command and replace with something they can chew.. Even if it is you they are chewing on :-? !! IT will take time but it will work...

*Barking: Never let her/him out of the crate when barking or they begin to associate their barking with getting out of the crate, that is the #1 rule. I ignore the barking but I also shut the door to the room Jac is in because if he sees people he barks. You can also try Shhh or be quiet or the loud noises. Shaking a can full of dry beans is another trick too! :)

*The poo thing: She/he should eventually outgrow that! :wink:

AHHHH!!!2 years??!!!LOL!!I'll endure it!! 8) Duck barks whenever she hears somebody in the house, like if I close the door.People said that it would be easier to train Duck to bark on command then to stop her barking...Is that true?When I'm at home, I let Duck down in the livingroom with me, and I take her out to pee every hour(that's no problem), but I can't do ANYTHING when she's with me cuz I'm watching her all the time!!I put peanut butter in her bone,told her to sit, then gave her the bone, and she loses interest in like 5 seconds and comes to my chair and sits wanting something else, or else she chews on my feet or the electonic cables and chair legs.I have to run to get from one room to another when she's with me, or my foot will be bitten off(not really, just, hurt).2 years... :roll: :-?

Something that we teethe our pups on is apples. Red juicy apples. They love it. It's juicy and tastes good; crunchy but soft for baby teeth to sink into (like your arm! :wink: ); soft enough to bite and massage the gums. The seeds have hard coats and will be pooped out -- a seed.

We also use potatoes, carrotts and watermelon rind (which they LOVE). Even the adults still like apples and watermelon rind (with some watermelon left on it).

I forgot about the biting issue. Puppy play nipping can indeed be quite painful and needs to be nipped in the bud, pun intended! :D
My dogs respond well to me saying in a loud and firm voice 'OW!' They immediately appear contrite and want to give me kisses. You can also teach your dog the 'LEAVE IT' command. You might start outdoors with her on leash. Toss a few things around that you want her to leave alone, casually walk somewhat near them, when/if she turns towards them or tries to go to them, say firmly, 'LEAVE IT' and give a bit of a tug on her leash. As soon as she looks back to you, praise her, even give her a little food treat. This is something that may take awhile but keep working on it. Take her inside, have her on leash. If she touches something she is not supposed to chew on with her nose or mouth, say 'LEAVE IT'. Now some dogs will need a bit more of a leash pop than a tug, especially those really stubborn critters. I am not saying you need to hurt her or her neck, but all 3 of mine will literally choke themselves against steady pressure if there is something they really want. A quick pop/release generally works a bit better. When she does respond in the manner you want, heap liberal praise on her.

Guest Anonymous

I think the barking is due to her hearing people in the house and wanting out to be with them...Have you just let her bark to see how long she does it? Although frustrating it might get the point across that she is not getting out by barking...

Still with chewing keep trying the "no chew" or Carols "leave it" both approach the same problem. Just be sure to pick one and stay with it. Also remember to give her something she can chew on in replace for something she cannot chew on!! :D :wink:

:D :lol: Hey, thanx guys! :D :lol:

I've been wondering what to do for a long time!

THANK YOU CAROL, JACSMOM, AND HOBBIT! ALSO THANX EGG FOR POSTING THE Q'S! :D :D Where's that huging icon when you need it?

Results: I tried it on Rowie..GREAT IMPROVMENT! First I tried the apple thing, WORKED GREAT! Then we went out to the garden(with the leash of course!) and i started the exercise...she did wonderfully! She now mostly responds to me when i say "LEAVE IT" and if not, I always have those apples handy!!!! :D

Thanx again! I really appreciate it! :D

Jacsmom: Yup, youve gotta love those Labs 'N Goldens! :D

Guest Anonymous

remember this mantra - a tired puppy is a good puppy ;-)
and for the 'biting' issue I hope your pup was with its litter long enough to get started on bite inhibition by its siblings
check out this site for help
[url]http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/new-puppy.html#biting[/url]
the only thing I disagree with (because it does not work like that ) is the 'harsh NO' bit on the biting response - what *does* work is making a high pitched 'YELP' like the pup would make if you accidentally stepped on a tail say instead of the harsh response advised. What the yelp does is continue the training learning in the litter that biting hard means play ends and that is signaled by someone saying 'ow that hurt' in dog :)

:( Actually Guest, sadly, I do not know if she was with her littermates long enough...Her previouse owner had her imported, so I don't know much about her background. I give her as much socialization as I can...I take her walking, and my cuzin lives next door and she has a pom/mix wich is Rowie best friend.

Also, I have tried the "YELP" things sometimes, they do seem to work....she looks at we bewildered...and I can almost HEAR her saying.."Mama, I never knew you were a dog!"! LOL! :lol:

Seriously, thanx everybody, you 2 guest...website helpped out alot!

Will keep u updated on Rowie's improvment! :D